Phantom as carry on luggage

I have a Southwest flight in May. Did you have any issues?

Nothing out of the ordinary. You will have to bring it onboard as a carry-on. Due to the Lipo's it can't go in checked luggage. When I sent my backpack through the checkpoint in Nashville, I unzipped it & opened it up to show what it was & that I had nothing to hide. I don't really think it mattered that I did that but they did swab it for explosives. On the way back, I left it zipped up this time at the checkpoint at Ft. Myers & they didn't blink an eye. You should be fine. I did however leave the wrench/screw driver tool & some other accessories in a Ziplock bag in my suitcase in checked luggage. I was concerned about them calling the props "sharp objects" & possibly confiscating them but they didn't. Hope this helps! Have a safe flight & fly safe man! Enjoy your trip!

Reactions: Andy Thomas
Round trip Seattle-Maui in December with P3P and 3 batteries in DJI hardshell backpack inside a 22" Costco rolling suitcase just for convenience, as we had our laptops and personal stuff in our normal backpacks.

I was pleasantly surprised that the X-ray techs knew exactly what it was on their screens, and didn't do any add'l screening at all either way. One just said 'nice drone!'

The two-battery limit is for those over 100 Watt Hours, and the P3's Batteries are 68 Watt Hours (44 for the RC), so there shouldn't be a limit on the number of P3 batteries you can carry. Not sure about the larger P4 batteries?

Pack Safe – Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)

Professional - Batteries Watt Hours

It's almost certainly wise to print out the FAA sheet above, and a spec sheet for your batteries, in case you do end up having a disagreement with TSA or the airline.

It's a very easy thing to do, and given that all it takes is one guy questioning your watt-hour situation to ruin your day, having those tucked in your bag could hopefully help fix it quickly if it ever comes up.

Reactions: Andy Thomas
Round trip Seattle-Maui in December with P3P and 3 batteries in DJI hardshell backpack inside a 22" Costco rolling suitcase just for convenience, as we had our laptops and personal stuff in our normal backpacks.

I was pleasantly surprised that the X-ray techs knew exactly what it was on their screens, and didn't do any add'l screening at all either way. One just said 'nice drone!'

The two-battery limit is for those over 100 Watt Hours, and the P3's Batteries are 68 Watt Hours (44 for the RC), so there shouldn't be a limit on the number of P3 batteries you can carry. Not sure about the larger P4 batteries?

It's almost certainly wise to print out the FAA sheet above, and a spec sheet for your batteries, in case you do end up having a disagreement with TSA or the airline.

It's a very easy thing to do, and given that all it takes is one guy questioning your watt-hour situation to ruin your day, having those tucked in your bag could hopefully help fix it quickly if it ever comes up.
Hi guys...might be worth checking as i am sure airlines have a 2 spare limit of batteries under 100wh and need special written permission over 100wh
.cheers

Hi, i'm new in this wonderful drone world and i'm decided to give it a try with the P4 that i will bought next week on my vacations to the US, that's why I checked this with United Airlines and the FAA and the two-spare-battery limit is for the those between 101 - 160 watts hour, for those below 100 WH there is no limit in the Carry-on and can be in the equipment or can be spare when protected from damage and short circuit, also you can put them in the checked baggage only if is in the equipment , the good news is that the P4 has only 81.3 Wh so you can bring as much batteries as you can buy.

If you don't know how to determinate the Wh here is how you do it, multiply the volts (V) by the ampere hours (Ah). Example: A 12-volt battery rated to 8 Amp hours is rated at 96 watt hours (12 x 8 = 96). For milliamp hours (mAh), divide by 1000 (to get to Ah) and then multiply by the volts.

I hope this liks can help, one is for the UA web site and the other id from the FAA website,

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Checked/Carry-on Baggage Prohibited Items | United Airlines

Always remember to ask your airlines before your flight, maybe the Wh limit is different

PS batteries beyond 160Wh can not fly under any circunstances

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik