Phantom 5!!!

That isn't possible without going up to a 6 rotor. Losing a motor is a balance issue, not a power issue.
Actually it's quite doable if you shut down the diagonal motor, and the other two have sufficient torque to keep the bird in the air.

Even better if reversible motors are used... then the "shut-down" prop can be used for stability (maybe).

Think of it like the Jolly Green Giant military twin-rotor.

You opinion/experience might be different, and I respect that, but the true purists are more likely to side with me :)

OK, so you haven't tried the DJI lossless 2X zoom. You should really try it first before reaching conclusions. Look at the results. This isn't an interpolation, it's a cropping of the 4K native pixels, non relevant to your MIT course.

When recording in 1080, it's very useful, and clear. The only downside is you cannot smoothly zoom in like an optical zoom lens. I typical zoom fast so it instantly goes from 1X to 2X. Zooming slow looks bad for the duration of the pinch/spread zoom action.

Last edited:
I'm not sure something higher than 4K is useful now. You reach a limit and then there is no point going beyond i.e., Apple will 'never' resolution beyond retina as that's beyond what the human eye can discern anyways. I'm not sure about TVs and cameras though, maybe a bit better than 4K, but NOT much better. Yes I know, some vendors came up with 5K, but I think at this stage it's more of a marketing gimmick ...

What I would REALLY like to have in the phantom, is the option of a camera zoom. Now that might be heavy/expensive, but to me it is the next logical 'evolution'. And no, digital zoom (as Sony calls it) is just another piece of useless cr*p.
I personally have no care or use for anything above 4K, but that was put out there for those who do care.

My big request is for a more compact design(folding), a far more robust design(no cracking of the airframe from regular flying, let alone while not crashing, hard landing or tipping over), limiting of props and prop shadows in the frame, and longer flight time(30 minutes is a good target).

I have zero care for retractable landing gear and a rotating gimbal, but if it does and it is a good robust design, I will have no problem with it. Light rain resistance would be a plus, but water proofing would not push my buttons.

I'm big on optical avoidance, but if sonar and/or infrared is better, use them, and have whichever added for ascension, since all other sides are covered.

Zoom doesn't push my buttons, but for those of you desiring it, I don't see it as a negative. A changeable camera - I do see as a must since the Phantom line is used so much for public service and commercial use.

Lastly, a good strong signal. I know that varies due to various conditions and markets.

OK, so you haven't tried the DJI lossless 2X zoom. You should really try it first before reaching conclusions. Look at the results. This isn't an interpolation, it's a cropping for the 4K native pixels, non relevant to your MIT course.

When recording in 1080, it's very useful, and clear. The only downside is you cannot smoothly zoom in like an optical zoom lens. I typical zoom fast so it instantly goes from 1X to 2X. Zooming slow looks bad for the duration of the pinch/spread zoom action.

So, what you're saying then is, in order to do 2X digital zoom, the camera switches from high resolution to only 1080p? Correct?
If that's the case, then I agree with you since the original 1080p recording does not use all the pixels in the camera to begin with.

However, it seems you and I are talking about two slightly different topics, and that is alright. We all come here (hopefully) to learn and share whatever it is we know. **peace**

So, what you're saying then is, in order to do 2X digital zoom, the camera switches from high resolution to only 1080p? Correct?
Yes, kinda sorta. When recording video in 1080P resolution, the file is 1080P to the SD. The output to the SD card doesn't change, always 1080P.

When recording in 1080P resolution with 1X zoom (IE no zoom), the output is a down-scaling of the 4K sensor, done electronically for a 1080 output. You might call that interpolated. But when you zoom to 2X, the camera crops 1/4 of the 4K, in the center of the sensor, so you get a native 1080 resolution without the down-scaling, which results in a clear zoomed image. It's quit clever.

Most people, especially photography purists, assume the typical crappy digital zoom when they hear "digital zoom", because they've been conditioned to hate all digital zoom, so they won't even try it. But most people are pleasantly surprised when they try DJI's implementation, I certainly was. It's very useful IMHO, added value to me, and it's another reason I wouldn't buy another brand at this point. Mavic and P4 have this (likely Inspire X3 too) feature (I'm unsure about the P4P 1" sensor). And I'm told it works with the Android Go4 app now. In recent past it only worked with iOS devices and was not in the manual.

Ok, makes sense now. Though, just to 'close' this, digital zoom works ok when you're recording at a resolution that is LOWER than what the camera is capable of. If you're recording at the full resolution of 4k, digital zoom does degrade the picture quality (we're back to square 1). I do not consider myself a pro in photography/video, but I've used multiple digital cameras (primarily Nikon/Sony, but also few others, from compact to DSLR) and fully understand the math/DSP behind. It always 'irked' me when I see somethings in the specs (or even a sticker on the camera itself) that says '200x Digital Zoom', and hence my comment that it is a piece of marketing cr*p. I find rather 'insulting' when such claims are made just to trick the average user out there but, that's a whole different story. **peace**

I was browsing the dji website, specifically their OSMO camera, and there, they specifically say that digital zoom is ONLY available when recording in 1080p mode. At higher resolutions, it is not... one cannot defy the laws of physics.

Reactions: AyeYo
The one thing I would like DJI to address with future Phantom designs is props coming into the video frame. Whats the point of having an aircraft that can do 70km/h but the props come into the video at a much lower speed. Sometimes just trying to penetrate some wind and the props are there. I would anyday prefer slightly longer/wider front arms so that the props are out of the camera frame.

I use high speed mode to get quickly to and from the place I want to shoot.
I'm happy to accept props in the picture while I'm traveling.
Everything is a trade off,

Thank you, have a link to a legit review?

Just about the biggest junk rumor i've seen. And the photoshopping is laughable.

It's a bogus thread and should be closed.

Even with rotating yaw, I don't see it. With one weak motor maybe but not a complete loss.
But then I'm not an aeronautics expert.

Do a quick google, I would share a link but it's a while since I read about it. You can completely loose a prop/motor/esc. It won't fly pretty but you can fly it to a safe area for a landing.

Sorry for late reply on this issue, but just read now.
I also remembered a short video seen once and here it is, note following video is an update of this one:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT