Phantom 5

Reaction score
Any new thoughts on the release of a Phantom 5? I'm in the market for a drone and my first choice is the Phantom 4 pro+, but I'm wondering if its worth waiting for a release of a supposed "Phantom 5". Any thoughts?

For a few years now, DJI has been releasing new Phantom models around March. Will they do it again this year? Nobody knows at this point.

I just got my first drone last April, so I dont know DJI's history on the release of new models . Because of that, I don't know if DJI's past new models were released at the year's CES or even referred to there. If so, I'm not seeing anything about the P5 in coverages I've seen of this year's CES.

As good as the Phantom 4 Pro is, is it enough to make it until March or April of next year? Will a P4 Pro Pro or P4 Pro II be released before that?

Reactions: hacktorious
I'm wondering if its worth waiting for a release of a supposed "Phantom 5". Any thoughts?
If you know anything about a "supposed Phantom 5", you're ahead of everyone else.
DJI will bring out a new model when they have something ready to take to the market.
They have been very good at keeping things secret until just before any new releases and then completely surprising everyone with the additional tech they fit into the new models.
As they have only just released a new Inspire, Phantom and the Mavic, (showing that they don't always release new models around March) I wouldn't be expecting anything new for a while yet.

I remember the patent renderings of the Mavic Pro way before its release, but I haven't seen anything on the next DJI prosumer aerial camera platform.

They are so secretive, I haven't even seen an image or a video of the name or depiction, design, etc, of this new bird accidentally or accidentally on purpose on a software control app as has happened in the past.

Spies, do your best to get some information out so I can make some decisions in the near future.

My Opinion, with anything there will always be a newer model on the way, so you wait for the P5 and then when its available something new will be on its way.....same with cars, pc"s and all other things. Meanwhile you are loosing out on awesome time to use current model and enjoy it instead of waiting for something else. My opinion a P4 is just as good as a P4P and will be just as good as a P5. (For the average guy) saw some awesome new pics and video taken with P2 vision+.

My Opinion, with anything there will always be a newer model on the way, so you wait for the P5 and then when its available something new will be on its way.....same with cars, pc"s and all other things. Meanwhile you are loosing out on awesome time to use current model and enjoy it instead of waiting for something else. My opinion a P4 is just as good as a P4P and will be just as good as a P5. (For the average guy) saw some awesome new pics and video taken with P2 vision+.
RIGHT, keep telling yourself that. The P4P is LIGHT years ahead of the P4 And I'm sure the P5 (whenever that comes out) will be an improvement over the P4P as well. Its called technological progress and that is why DJI leads the pact. I wouldn't be surprised to see some type of Hasslbland camera/lens on a DJI drone very soon

Reactions: DronePilotOne
RIGHT, keep telling yourself that. The P4P is LIGHT years ahead of the P4 And I'm sure the P5 (whenever that comes out) will be an improvement over the P4P as well. Its called technological progress and that is why DJI leads the pact. I wouldn't be surprised to see some type of Hasslbland camera/lens on a DJI drone very soon
I like the way you say a P4P is LIGHT years ahead of a P4 and that a potential P5 will be just an improvement over it. Assuming you own a P4P? P4P has a better camera for sure but LIGHT years is a stretch.

Reactions: Laar
You are correct I have owned a P2, P3, P4 and an Inspire 1. Sold them all (and now I'n selling the P4P+) because the new P5 is on the horizon. I own a Mavic as well, and for now it serves my purposes. The P4P+ was the best (including the I1) for aerial work. The one inch sensor way out performed the standard P4. Size does matter

If the P4P is lights years ahead of the P4 it must be a million light years ahead of the P3 and P2 Lol

Any new thoughts on the release of a Phantom 5? I'm in the market for a drone and my first choice is the Phantom 4 pro+, but I'm wondering if its worth waiting for a release of a supposed "Phantom 5". Any thoughts?
I imagine most of you know DJI is planning to debut something new at MWC this comping week. I have read couple of posts about it and many think it will be their first venture into the " Racing Drone" field...Anybody heard anything else about what it might be, Phantom 5, Mavic Standard, P4 tuned down for the ( under $500) consumer market?
2017 Exhibitors & Sponsors - Mobile World Congress

Last edited:
My honest opinion? Wait for the P6. Why? Because it will be the best drone ever built. Skip the 4 don't bother with the 5 hold out for the 6.

My honest opinion? Wait for the P6. Why? Because it will be the best drone ever built. Skip the 4 don't bother with the 5 hold out for the 6.
That is probably good advice. I just got a Mavic and a P4 Pro Plus, but has to sell the Phantom to replace a MacBook that went down in flames. DroneValley has a pretty intuitive Youtube video on just what the new DJI Beast will be ?

For clues on the next release we should be looking for advances by movidius (the developer and supplier of the obstacle avoidance and other features in the P4 onwards) and the suppliers of other important tech to DJI.

How about DJI hold off on development for a little while and fix their customer service/repair service and QC on firmware/app updates? There should be no reason their apps should be reliable on a small list of androids.
If another company manages to put out quads like DJI and has decent QC and support, DJI will suffer. It is only because it practically has a monopoly on this segment of the market is it surviving.
Discontinue P3 right after Christmas? For shame.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

How about DJI hold off on development for a little while and fix their customer service/repair service and QC on firmware/app updates? There should be no reason their apps should be reliable on a small list of androids.
If another company manages to put out quads like DJI and has decent QC and support, DJI will suffer. It is only because it practically has a monopoly on this segment of the market is it surviving.
Discontinue P3 right after Christmas? For shame.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Never going to happen. DJI has seen that consumers are just fine with $700 cell phones with half their features bugged and broken, so why not do the same with drones? It's become Chinese/Korean manufacturing mentality to put all effort into constant new model releases while leaving old models and all their associated unresolved issues in the dust. Just ask anyone that owned a Phantom 1-3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez