Phantom 4A/P camera vs. Mavic 2 Pro camera...

Reaction score
I currently own a P4A, but I've been dazzled by the new Mavic 2 Pro! As someone who always needs the latest and greatest, I'm close to pulling the trigger on the new Mavic 2 Pro. But then I looked a little deeper and am having second thoughts.

As a still photographer, yes, I'd like a Hasselblad lens. And, yes, I'd like the "better" one-inch sensor on the M2P. But I like an old-school mechanical shutter, which the M2P doesn't have. So I'm wondering, for my needs as a still photographer who prints his images 24 x 36, will the M2P offer better photos? And if so, will they be dramatically better?

Keep the P4A or sell it and get the M2P?

I'm in a similar position and although the new machine has some great tech, I'm asking myself what will it do to make my work better.
As a still photographer, yes, I'd like a Hasselblad lens. And, yes, I'd like the "better" one-inch sensor on the M2P.
will the M2P offer better photos? And if so, will they be dramatically better?
Is the sensor better? Or is it the same?
The lens has a slightly longer focal length which could be good in some situations but really wouldn't make much difference.
The portability would be a great feature - but is it worth selling 2 Phantoms and a bunch of batteries to get two new drones and everything to keep them flying.

I think I'll take my time and look for camera reviews.
Meantime I still have a machine that is going to keep producing images that are probably very similar.
I wonder what they are going to put into the P5?

I wouldn’t apply too much weighting to the Hasselblad lens issue in your decision making. I doubt Hasselblad had much design input into the lens. As you might know the classic Hasselblad lenses were Zeiss, designs so good the best continued in production for over 50 years (removing lead from the elements employed in some revised designs actually reduced their performance). Despite the marketing hype reality probably is the current Hasselblad branded offering is comparable to a high end security camera or compact camera offering with nicely assembled polycarbonate elements.

If you have the P4P then the Mavic Pro 2 would be a lateral move and that's about it. Yes, there are some new modes and the collision avoidance appears a good step forward over the P4P, but as for me I think I'll wait to see what the P5, or whatever its called, has to offer. Some of the rumors for the P5 include 150Mbps versus 100Mbps for the P4P and the new Mavic Pro 2, in addition, and this would be a big one for me, the legitimate ability to do 4K60. Assuming the new Phantom will include all the sensors and comm link updates and an expected price closer to $2K USD would make it enough of an improvement over the P4P and the Mavic Pro 2 to warrant waiting for it. I'd guess October for the next Phantom so perhaps a couple months.

Still, the video improvements with the Mavic Pro 2 would make it a easy choice for someone new to the game.

Brian

There is so much talk out there... that being said, I heard the M2P will replace the Phantom lineup.

Not sure what constitutes an "authoritative" source, but it was mentioned by a couple reviews by people who had the drone is their possession.

There is so much talk out there... that being said, I heard the M2P will replace the Phantom lineup.

While it is possible the Mavic line will replace the Phantom line I do not see that happening for a few more years. The M2P is no doubt a tad better than the P4P, but not by much and DJI would/should not miss the opportunity to squeeze in at least one more Phantom with better specs including 4K60 and 150Mbps. There's a huge jump to the Inspire line that Cinema pros might chose and the Phantom fits nicely between the Mavic and the Inspire. I Also suspect the next Inspire will be a nice bump up from the current models with video the Phantom, even a new Phantom couldn't touch.

For me the biggest improvement I'd want in the next Phantom is higher bit-rate and true 4K60. Running at 4K (UHD) and 60fps will pretty much obviate the need for ND filters in all but the most extreme close up fast panning movements and for everything else 60fps pretty much flattens the st

Brian

I'm excited about the 10bit video & the 1080 transmitted to the controller but I'll happily wait until the next Phantom comes out with those features. It would be nice if the next Phantom somehow managed a 3-axis gimbal as well but that would require retractable legs and I'm not convinced they'll change the overall design of the Phantoms that much. I guess we'll see.

Reactions: Falcon900
Not sure what constitutes an "authoritative" source, but it was mentioned by a couple reviews by people who had the drone is their possession.
Authoritative = someone who knows what they are talking about and is telling you stuff that is verifiable and true.
The internet is full of material that isn't.
When you say ... I've heard this ... or From what I've heard, that ...
... is even less authoritative.
You are referring to 2nd hand information of unknown reliability.

So far I haven't found anything definite to say what the sensor is.
I've found one reviewer that's usually reliable saying that it's the same sensor that's in the P4 pro but nothing official to back this up.

Authoritative = someone who knows what they are talking about and is telling you stuff that is verifiable and true.
The internet is full of material that isn't.
When you say ... I've heard this ... or From what I've heard, that ...
... is even less authoritative.
You are referring to 2nd hand information of unknown reliability.

So far I haven't found anything definite to say what the sensor is.
I've found one reviewer that's usually reliable saying that it's the same sensor that's in the P4 pro but nothing official to back this up.
Just to add to what you have said (I’m following this closely also) the absence of any newer 1” sensor being released suggests no update. We know DJI and Hasselblad don’t make 1” sensors.

Here's the review I referred to.
He may be right about the sensor (or not).
But he does a good review and he's always entertaining.
It looks like a very impressive new drone.

Reactions: TheKestrel
I'm excited about the 10bit video & the 1080 transmitted to the controller but I'll happily wait until the next Phantom comes out with those features. It would be nice if the next Phantom somehow managed a 3-axis gimbal as well but that would require retractable legs and I'm not convinced they'll change the overall design of the Phantoms that much. I guess we'll see.
The current sensor in the P4A/P&V2 already does10 bit/12 bit 10 ch Sub-LVDS output so your might suspect with reasonable confidence this isn’t an improvement- more likely DJI just never mentioned the bit depth in the phantom 4 marketing blurb.

The current sensor in the P4A/P&V2 already does10 bit/12 bit 10 ch Sub-LVDS output so your might suspect with reasonable confidence this isn’t an improvement- more likely DJI just never mentioned the bit depth in the phantom 4 marketing blurb.
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure the camera records 4:0:0 8 bit video. I've done pretty extensive searches online with no confirmation so please share your source. The new Mavic Pro 2 advertises 10 bit HDR video as a big selling point and I'm sure the P4P would have mentioned 10 bit as well. Thanks

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
From what I know about camera and codecs tech, you can achieve 422 10bit with P4P by downsampling 4K to 1080p (and choosing a 10bit codec while transcoding). It has to do with neighbouring pixels, if from what I’ve read is correct.

For private use where size is important I would jump on the M2P. If you are a professional you often have access to a vehicle for work and image quality is the bigger factor, you should wait for next Phantom (P5?).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl