Phantom 4 wishlist

Reaction score
I know the Phantom 3 isn't that big. But it would be great if the Phantom 4 would pack the same and/or better features and functionality but be smaller, like 250 quad size.

I'd like a much higher resolution for photography, and a optical zoom would be perfect. Video are awesome, but pictures can also tell a great story, and 12 megapixels is just not good enough for a screen.

Also, Improvement of the active braking so you can manage altitude better, like all the new racing quads do. DJI should definitely look into those 2gram esc
Rctimer Mini ESC20A OPTO SimonK Firmware

Maybe ditch lipo and go for 18650 batteries like the LG HG2 or similar. Even better would be to de-case them, that would make each cell close to 30grams.

Last edited:
I'd like a much higher resolution for photography, and a optical zoom would be perfect. Video are awesome, but pictures can also tell a great story, and 12 megapixels is just not good enough for a screen.
yes a higher resolution camera and dual controls so 1 person can fly while the other runs the camera. Also more battery would be awesome.

With de-cased 18650 lg hg2, for the same weight battery capacity would double, which would mean 40 min flight times. With casing, you would still get 30% more flight time (close to 27-28 minutes or so)...

You guys really think they will be coming out with a phantom 4 anytime soon? It seems like this one is just going mainstream and its pretty much 'the best' at its price point, so what reason do they have for upgrading? I'm guessing they will drop the price before making it better and maybe make an inspire successor.

Reactions: Silvaplana

You are serious aren't you? 12mp is just fine for general photography. Is it pro level? No. I run a Nikon D7000 with a 16mp sensor. It shoots out-freaking-standing images and its only 4mp larger.

The key here is better glass and superior sensor. You put better glass in front of a good 12mp sensor and you get outstanding results. But glass weighs a lot. Larger sensor means larger glass. The thing that totally kills the photographic element of the current camera on the P3 is the total lack of a true aperture. Its stuck wide open at f2.8. Even if it weren't remotely alterable, having a manual ring on the lens for aperture would be an improvement.

I agree, optical zoom would be nice. Again, weight. Cost. What I would PREFER, is a lens mount SYSTEM like most DSLRs have. Minimal weight increase for adding a lens ring detachment system. They could ship the stock fixed focus lens, no iris, no zoom. Still have same specs as now with little to no weight increase. Then they could sell optical zoom lenses that a user could interchange on the camera body like we do with DSLRs now. But the user could choose to sacrifice flight time with a heavier more capable lens and DJI could still post its unrealistic flight times (as shipped with the smaller/lighter lens). Both of us win and DJI gets another feather in their cap and advertising the P4 as having an interchangeable lens system!

My wish from my extremely limited 2 flight experience last night and reading and research beforehand....

1. Reverse the current moronic filter threads so we can use stock photographic filters. Male on the filter, female on the lens. This matches the 100+ year old standard in photography. Pick up any decent camera, lens has female threads, filters have male threads.

2. Properly placed front LEDs. Its dumb to have to turn them off for night flights so they don't affect the camera. Night is when you want them for orientation and thats when you can't use them if you want to photograph or video anything. Well thought out guys.

3. A proper exposure choice system. Auto-ISO, Auto-Shutter options. ISO range limits. Be able to set max ISO at 800 and force reduction of shutter speed. Since no aperture, aperture priority not possible. If it had one, yea, get on that.

4. A proper aperture. Not only does it control light entering the sensor, it also affects depth of focus. This results in sharper images, especially when there is plenty of light (ie daytime). It also alleviates the need for ND filters most of the time and allows for adapting to changing light conditions DURING a flight. Right now we have to bring it back home to change the ND and send it back out.

5. As mentioned above, interchangeable lenses. Wide angle fisheye, Standard, Semi-tele, Full telephoto, Several Zoom ranges. Let us choose what to fly. I have 35mm and 50mm primes. I have 24-70 and 70-200 zooms among others. Obviously I can't fly a drone with a 2.9 pound 70-200 lens hanging off that gimbal nor am I advocating sticking a $1800 Nikon 24-70/f2.8 lens on a $1k drone, but you get what I want here. Optical options. Allow 3rd party development of optical options here. Let DJI focus on the flight system, and allow others to focus on the optical systems. The combination of an open system with 3rd party companies will SELL MORE DJI DRONES!

6. Lens hood as standard equipment. Why do I have to design and 3D print one? Seriously.

7. Audio recording from drone and device (choosable in menu). Down facing mic on chassis, noise canceling mic above on drone. This would allow substantial noise canceling of the prop noise. Nearly all devices have a mic or mic input port. Allow backfeeding audio to the drone to allow pilot commentary during video recording. Or, do simultaneous audio recording on the device when the recording starts on the drone. Then we can combine them in post.

8. Configurable options as to what to include in the SRT (captions file for video). The SRT was a neat discovery, I hadn't seen that in any specs or documentation. It, however, was very limited in the data it has or supplies. Being able to add something as simple as compass heading, gimbal angle or aircraft velocity would make for interesting and documented events in the video.

9. RF range extenders are nice. But they are worthless without the flight time to do anything with. I don't feel that a 30min flight time is an unreasonable goal here. Sure, its neat to be able to fly out 8 miles. But, frankly, whats the point if you can't do anything but run home and pray you got enough juice to make it? Would be nice to haul out there and then take a nice look around.

10. Wider footprint for the landing struts to avoid or at least reduce tipover on landings. And while we are at it on struts. Landing lights would be nifty. Down facing white LEDs for night landings.

11. At least 1 but 2 would be better, remote trigerable ports on the copter for attaching optional equipment. Such as lights, strobes, etc. Buttons on the remote and/or on the device to switch them on/off in-flight. One or two ports on the copter body for plugging in the accessories. Sorry, was used to this from my fixed wing RC days. I loved having extra channels on the transmitter and the receiver for stuff like lights and landing gear.

12. Standardized flat attachment points in strategic location around the drone body. For attaching standardized holders/clips for things like locator beacons, transponders, optional lights, or flotation devices. Several points with uniform flatness and standardized screw inserts all of the same width. That way you can choose what to attach were without having to design and print a specific bracket for that exact place with that particular item you are attaching.

Isn't that the purpose of this thread?

If we don't voice our wishes in a reasonably positive manor, then we will never get what we want and DJI just guesses what we want.

Do I expect all that in a $1k drone? No, certainly not. Would like it but not gonna hold my breath.

Whether they ever view these forums, well thats another story entirely.

You are serious aren't you? 12mp is just fine for general photography. Is it pro level? No. I run a Nikon D7000 with a 16mp sensor. It shoots out-freaking-standing images and its only 4mp larger.
I have the same camera, but a DSLR is very different. My smartphone takes also 16mp pictures, so I would expect a better performance from a drone that has the only purpose to shoot videos and photos.

As for the audio recording, the noise from the props is way to loud. I guess that you could have better results with a recorder like the Zoom H1 2.0 attached with a fishing line. It would add "only" 90 grams.

I have yet to see a smartphone that took photos that come close to what a DSLR can. Even a cheap DSLR. Why? because the chip (sensor) they put in the phones must be small and cheaply produced. They make them in high megapixel ratings because they can slap a number on a box that sells the consumer. The difference is in the size and quality of the chip and the quality and optical clarity of the glass you put in front of it. You can put cheap glass in front of a quality 8mp sensor and it will out shoot and out perform any cheap tiny 16mp sensor even if it had good glass on it. Its not about how many megapixels its got. Its about the size and quality of the sensor that those megapixels make. I bet you dollars to donuts that my old 6mp D70 will out shoot your 16mp phone in virtually every aspect from noise to low light sensitivity to image quality.

I will take 6 megapixels of quality over 16 megapixels of quantity every time.

If the 12mp in the current camera were on a larger and higher quality sensor chip, we wouldn't be having this conversation. We would be getting near DLSR quality out of this bird, even with the limited glass its got now.

Still, given the actual weight of the optical components, camera, and gimbal, I am reasonably pleased. The fact it took reasonable images last night in the dark kinda surprised me. Do I want better? Like you, hell ya. But where is the cutoff? When do you say enough is good enough? Stick a bigger sensor and better glass (what available currently I mean), and you got flight times dropping like a rock. I certainly wouldn't be happy to go from 15min to 5min flight time just to get a little increase in photo quality. The P3 and assuming the P4 are consumer level birds. I have a completely different expectation for something like the Inspire or other pro grade birds. I don't expect to shoot a George Lucas caliber video with a consumer grade bird.

Reactions: Gsujeff55

The key here is better glass and superior sensor. You put better glass in front of a good 12mp sensor and you get outstanding results. But glass weighs a lot. Larger sensor means larger glass. The thing that totally kills the photographic element of the current camera on the P3 is the total lack of a true aperture. Its stuck wide open at f2.8. Even if it weren't remotely alterable, having a manual ring on the lens for aperture would be an improvement.

I agree, optical zoom would be nice. Again, weight. Cost. What I would PREFER, is a lens mount SYSTEM like most DSLRs have. Minimal weight increase for adding a lens ring detachment system. They could ship the stock fixed focus lens, no iris, no zoom. Still have same specs as now with little to no weight increase. Then they could sell optical zoom lenses that a user could interchange on the camera body like we do with DSLRs now. But the user could choose to sacrifice flight time with a heavier more capable lens and DJI could still post its unrealistic flight times (as shipped with the smaller/lighter lens). Both of us win and DJI gets another feather in their cap and advertising the P4 as having an interchangeable lens system!

My wish from my extremely limited 2 flight experience last night and reading and research beforehand....

1. Reverse the current moronic filter threads so we can use stock photographic filters. Male on the filter, female on the lens. This matches the 100+ year old standard in photography. Pick up any decent camera, lens has female threads, filters have male threads.

2. Properly placed front LEDs. Its dumb to have to turn them off for night flights so they don't affect the camera. Night is when you want them for orientation and thats when you can't use them if you want to photograph or video anything. Well thought out guys.

3. A proper exposure choice system. Auto-ISO, Auto-Shutter options. ISO range limits. Be able to set max ISO at 800 and force reduction of shutter speed. Since no aperture, aperture priority not possible. If it had one, yea, get on that.

4. A proper aperture. Not only does it control light entering the sensor, it also affects depth of focus. This results in sharper images, especially when there is plenty of light (ie daytime). It also alleviates the need for ND filters most of the time and allows for adapting to changing light conditions DURING a flight. Right now we have to bring it back home to change the ND and send it back out.

5. As mentioned above, interchangeable lenses. Wide angle fisheye, Standard, Semi-tele, Full telephoto, Several Zoom ranges. Let us choose what to fly. I have 35mm and 50mm primes. I have 24-70 and 70-200 zooms among others. Obviously I can't fly a drone with a 2.9 pound 70-200 lens hanging off that gimbal nor am I advocating sticking a $1800 Nikon 24-70/f2.8 lens on a $1k drone, but you get what I want here. Optical options. Allow 3rd party development of optical options here. Let DJI focus on the flight system, and allow others to focus on the optical systems. The combination of an open system with 3rd party companies will SELL MORE DJI DRONES!

6. Lens hood as standard equipment. Why do I have to design and 3D print one? Seriously.

7. Audio recording from drone and device (choosable in menu). Down facing mic on chassis, noise canceling mic above on drone. This would allow substantial noise canceling of the prop noise. Nearly all devices have a mic or mic input port. Allow backfeeding audio to the drone to allow pilot commentary during video recording. Or, do simultaneous audio recording on the device when the recording starts on the drone. Then we can combine them in post.

8. Configurable options as to what to include in the SRT (captions file for video). The SRT was a neat discovery, I hadn't seen that in any specs or documentation. It, however, was very limited in the data it has or supplies. Being able to add something as simple as compass heading, gimbal angle or aircraft velocity would make for interesting and documented events in the video.

9. RF range extenders are nice. But they are worthless without the flight time to do anything with. I don't feel that a 30min flight time is an unreasonable goal here. Sure, its neat to be able to fly out 8 miles. But, frankly, whats the point if you can't do anything but run home and pray you got enough juice to make it? Would be nice to haul out there and then take a nice look around.

10. Wider footprint for the landing struts to avoid or at least reduce tipover on landings. And while we are at it on struts. Landing lights would be nifty. Down facing white LEDs for night landings.

11. At least 1 but 2 would be better, remote trigerable ports on the copter for attaching optional equipment. Such as lights, strobes, etc. Buttons on the remote and/or on the device to switch them on/off in-flight. One or two ports on the copter body for plugging in the accessories. Sorry, was used to this from my fixed wing RC days. I loved having extra channels on the transmitter and the receiver for stuff like lights and landing gear.

12. Standardized flat attachment points in strategic location around the drone body. For attaching standardized holders/clips for things like locator beacons, transponders, optional lights, or flotation devices. Several points with uniform flatness and standardized screw inserts all of the same width. That way you can choose what to attach were without having to design and print a specific bracket for that exact place with that particular item you are attaching.

So not that much then - it's just about right as it is....:D:D:D

How about "dual rates" , triple rates, and flight conditions? For precision flight. We v been using that on rc craft for at least 20 years! Look at any rc transmitter these days. They design them to work for the pilot. If aint broke .....

DJI bought a minority stake in this camera company Hasselblad back in november. Should help greatly improve the camera on the next phantom.

DJI buys a minority stake in camera company Hasselblad

For my edification: What is "SRT"?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl