Phantom 4 Pro vs Mavic 2 Pro

I have now. Still Not 100%.
Like that Mavic has additional sensors and Ocusync.
Like the sturdiness of Phantom.
I have a P4p Osbidian. Love it Buy was thinking to trade.??

I had a P4P+ and a P4P before going to the Mavic 2 Pro. I can't say the P4P has any advantage in sturdiness. The glaring benefits are, beyond the obvious compact size when folded, are quietness, avoidance sensors, added Intelligent Flight Modes, Ocusync, and flight characteristics. I list the Intelligent Flight modes because, from a photographer's perspective, most video is taken in simple "takes" or clips. You can let your modes do the drone flying work while you focus on VLOS activity around you and on what images/clips your want.

One of the things we've been most impressed about is how the Mavic 2 handles in the wind. We do cell tower inspection through our pilot network. We recently just finished nearly 1000 towers in Texas and the pilots out there were fighting high winds. We've all been very surprised at how the Mavic preformed as well if not better than the Phantom 4. You will get 360 degree obstacle avoidance with the Mavic and not with the Phantom. Also you flying with OcuSync 2.0 on the Mavic so you get a smooth 1080P signal while flying up to 4.8 miles out. We feel that the Phantom is an amazing work horse, but the Mavic has the latest tech inside of it. During the last few cell tower training classes I have been using the Mavic 2 Pro. It has been the perfect training drone. If you ever need any advise or gear give us a shout.

I was wondering how the Mavic 2 does in the wind compared to the Mavic Pro and P4P. The P4P does VERY well in high wind conditions (use it for mapping). So if you say the Mavic Pro 2 does even better, that's impressive.

D

Anyone know which one is better for mapping purposes? We need to replace our P3P and looking at either the Mavic 2 pro or the P4P. My main focus would be on mapping and I read in an article that the Mavic 2 Pro camera doesn't work that well for mapping purposes. The article stated: The global shutter on the Phantom 4 Pro also provides a major advantage to pilots who perform automated mapping missions. Maps are generated with photographs that are taken while the aircraft is in motion. The rolling electronic shutter of the Mavic 2 is not well suited for this purpose, and map accuracy will suffer. Anyone have any experience with mapping with the Mavic 2 pro? Also is it dumb of me to like the phantoms because they are easier to see in the sky? Granted I haven't flown a mavic 2, but seems like they would be harder to spot in the air at 380ft doing a mapping mission. Any help is appreciated! thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know which one is better for mapping purposes?

P4P hands down. P4P is better in wind and has a mechanical shutter, which means no rolling shutter in photos. I've been mapping with mine for about 2 years. I always bring the Mavic Pro with me just for phun. I do not own a Mavic Pro 2, so there may be those who argue in its favor. All I can say is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And, so far, the P4P has worked marvelously.

Pro tip: Buy two; a black one (Obsidian) and a white one. This way you can deploy two at once to finish large jobs in half the time. Last week my partner and I turned a 3 hour flight time job to 1.5 hours of flight time. The secret is to stagger the launches a good 5 minutes, of course, and to be well aware of the drones' location in space so they don't collide. I set up missions so that there is only one possible point of impact by setting up the missions so the drones travel in opposite directions.

Funny....last week I tried to use my controller to land my partner's drone...we were cracking up. I was like, "This isn't responding" when I instantly realized what I was doing. You would think I would've noticed the white controller against the black drone. Lesson learned. That shan't ever happen again. Good times...

The RC holders are my invention. Because I can put the controllers 10' in the air, reception is often 100% up to a mile away without the use of extenders. With passive parabolic extenders, we've flown up to 2 miles out with 100% signal strength, which is absolutely necessary for corridor mapping. The caveat is that you have to be aware of the drone's location and "aim" the antennas accordingly.

DSC03133.JPG

And here's a screen capture from the Mavic Pro showing the whole launch area....

LaunchSite.jpg

Those other folks and trucks are the client who wanted to check out our operations.

Good luck.

D

Last edited:
Anyone know which one is better for mapping purposes? We need to replace our P3P and looking at either the Mavic 2 pro or the P4P. My main focus would be on mapping and I read in an article that the Mavic 2 Pro camera doesn't work that well for mapping purposes. The article stated: The global shutter on the Phantom 4 Pro also provides a major advantage to pilots who perform automated mapping missions. Maps are generated with photographs that are taken while the aircraft is in motion. The rolling electronic shutter of the Mavic 2 is not well suited for this purpose, and map accuracy will suffer. Anyone have any experience with mapping with the Mavic 2 pro? Also is it dumb of me to like the phantoms because they are easier to see in the sky? Granted I haven't flown a mavic 2, but seems like they would be harder to spot in the air at 380ft doing a mapping mission. Any help is appreciated! thanks

The Phantom 4 Pro is truly the best mapping drone as stated above, and the Phantom is much easier to see and hand catch.
This is why it really sad that the Phantoms have been discontinued without a really good replacement .

Phantomrain.org
coal

Reactions: MTO and Harleydude
My P4p V2 has Occusync and all the collision avoidance sensors. No advantage there for the Mavic. My P4P v2 has a mechanical shutter, Mavic does not. Big advantage to me as a photographer. Too bad, I like the little mavic.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4