Phantom 4 Pro V.2 vs the new [emoji146]MAVIC 2PRO

Dji recently announced EOL for P4P, P4P obsidian and P4P2.0. Wou ld suggest the P5 is on the way in 2019. Wonder is its going to get smaller like the Mavic 2?

Despite portability I'm still happy with my P4P. Creams a lot of other similarly or cheaper priced drones from other competing brands. If flexibility with video functions are important to you, P4P still has the edge

RoOSTA

Reactions: LARA images
I have a S900 fully loaded with the GH4 camera and gimbals, I also have a Phantom 4 and the Spark. The spark is just for fun and great tight shots. My Phantom 4 is really my workhorse. I haven't even thought about grabbing a Mavic at any level Pro, Platinum or Pro 2. I don't know why everyone grips about 2 or 3 minutes different in flight times. My saying if you don't get it in the first 25 minutes of the flight then a couple or three minutes really doesn't matter. My shots start with a production sheet and I usually walk through the shooting sequence just to make sure that I will be able to get the camera where I need it. I have tremendous faith in my P4, why would I switch...just my thoughts....

The only thing better at Mavic is its portability. All the rest is on the Phantom side. Particular the picture quality although Mavic2 came very close to the Phantom.
Maybe the only thing I do not like at Phantom is its loudness. But on the other hand I'm very glad if I can hear it in case I loose VLOS.
Hand catch is safer at Phantom. I'm practicing it often, although I had an accident just few days ago. It cuts my hand very badly as I stopped the motors a part of sec too late and it jumped right into my forearm. It was really stupid what I did. So be careful anyway!
And I must completely agree with 'WO5C' about those flying times. 25 or 30 is not important difference. Maybe for those who want to make distance records, anyway this is not an relevant item for me.

Last edited:
'I’ll just post this for your consideration on this issue.'

That's really nice and comprehensive work you did.
Very odd for DJI. Would be interesting to see side by side picture comparison of P4P and Mav2.
I haven't searched for it. Maybe somebody has already done it.

A P4P Obsidian has great VLOS I have done just over 600m and was still easily visable even after looking away!! _ The M2P is a waste of money - Get a P4P hands down ATM

Cameras IMO are very similar in stills results. I am prefer the DR from the MP 2. P4 still has a mechanical shutter option, however for stills from a drone, e shutter does a good job. P4 Pro still has more video options it appears 4K 60FS for example.

Lens results are also very similar in aperture ranges, F 2.8 to F 4 very sharp, F 5.6 to F 8 very good, a bit of diffraction, but can be corrected. F11 quite a bit soft at least from my work.

Mavic Pro2 is just a lot more portable for field work. A lot more. For my work, the Mavic would get the nod most of the time, excellent camera.

Paul C
From what I’ve read in a number of places, 4K@60fps still compromises on quality because the MB/s bandwidth capability doesn’t fully support that much data. So there is some additional compression I believe.

A P4P Obsidian has great VLOS I have done just over 600m and was still easily visable even after looking away!! _ The M2P is a waste of money - Get a P4P hands down ATM
You must have hawk eyes. Evrything dependz on light and background. At darker backg. and the sun at my back i can see my white phantom pretty far away. But I doubt at 600m.

You must have hawk eyes. Evrything dependz on light and background. At darker backg. and the sun at my back i can see my white phantom pretty far away. But I doubt at 600m.
I can see a P4 at that distance and considerably further out, particularly in the first and last light for the day. What nobody can do at that distance however is reliably see the orientation of the AC that might be argued as a requirement to fly VLOS.

With the morning sun at my back on a slightly overcast day I was able to keep my eye on my P4P for 4000 ft
You can see your drone 3/4 of a mile away? Wow that is Eagle Eye

You can see your drone 3/4 of a mile away? Wow that is Eagle Eye

You’ll be surprised how far you can track it , the key is to go out early with the sun on your back (the sun hitting the white shell really stands out ) keep it low down 50-70 ft and don’t take your eye off it , I’m a morning flier so I do this on a regular but give it a try ..
Without the sun on my back on an average day I can see it maybe 1000ft so conditions really do matter

Reactions: DKG13CC

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20