Phantom 4 pro stress cracks

Reaction score
I’ve had my Phantom 4 pro since late 2016. It had been it storage in my home for about a year and when I landed the other day I noticed several small cracks on the landing gear. I also noticed a crack on the battery casing. Should I be worried about this? It has not impacted performance at all yet...but is that something I should be concerned about? I don’t really have the money to send it in for repair right now, but is there something I can do to keep the cracks from growing and becoming a problem?
54DE6701-3CAB-4590-BFBD-1A9B0B3F5B17.jpeg
5AF84133-F5A1-49B5-BA96-E5CDD54BB5D2.jpeg
70094158-779B-467C-BACD-EEE0A0B39C72.jpeg

The crack in the battery is a known flaw with DJI phantom batteries. Some people take the cap of the battery off and reinforce it. Most people just keep on flying with the crack. There are many post in the archives on how to repair the cracks in the plastic. Cracks in the legs will never affect the performance, Just be careful of the wires that runs down in side the legs. It should be fine the fly at this point, just monitor the situation.

Haven’t seen it personally and I’ve owned several. This issue seems to show up occasionally from a bad run of shells. The flaws you show should not cause problems but is disappointing. Some have claimed it’s worse, or even caused by, hand catching. Up to you, be safe.

This may sound off the wall, but when I was shoeing horses years ago for a living, if the hoof had crack running up the hoof, I would take a drill and drill a small hole at the very end of the crack, did not go deep, maybe an 1/8 of an inch. Hooves are like fingernails, no feeling. My point is that you could a really small bit and do the same thing. JB Weld now makes a plastic epoxy I would highly recommend. Would not need much on any of the cracks, the epoxy would stabilize the crack. Take your pick of do both.

Reactions: Capt KO
Haven’t seen it personally and I’ve owned several. This issue seems to show up occasionally from a bad run of shells. The flaws you show should not cause problems but is disappointing. Some have claimed it’s worse, or even caused by, hand catching. Up to you, be safe.
I have never been a fan of hand catching, seems like too much could go wrong...thanks for your help, just wanted to make sure it was safe to use!

I have never been a fan of hand catching, seems like too much could go wrong...thanks for your help, just wanted to make sure it was safe to use!
I have hand caught my evo but it designed different.. I don't see how people hand catch their phantoms either.

I have hand caught my evo but it designed different.. I don't see how people hand catch their phantoms either.
remote in left hand, slowly fly to just above head height,hover, right hand gently catch the drone for one leg, left hand throttle down.motors stop.did it hundreds of times, not a single crack.and it is the safest way for a drone.rarely they do want to tip over when landing on ground.and add the dust flying around.hand catching is the only solution when on a boat

Reactions: Phoenix One
I hand catch 100% (P4P). Seems like hand catching would minimize the chance of cracks as opposed to causing it, since hand catching eliminates contact with hard surfaces/hard landing. That said, I have a nice collection of cracks near motors.

Seems to me that somewhere I read specs on P4P and P4A that stated the body is titanium. Wouldn't think that would crack like the old P3 did.

• Wow
Reactions: dronesky
This DJI article states that the P4A is titanium. I fly a P4A without cracks (except for the battery). Maybe I should make a small scrape on the fuselage to see if it is true?

Believe what you want. The only metal pieces in that aircraft is the camera and the battery compartment. The rest is plastic. The picture posted that shows cracks is not cracked metal, it’s plastic.

Believe what you want. The only metal pieces in that aircraft is the camera and the battery compartment. The rest is plastic. The picture posted that shows cracks is not cracked metal, it’s plastic.
DJI lie? Say it ain’t so! :)

Yes, apparently only P4A. I bought it without camera and did notice that it was extremely light. How about the P4P V2? Is it still plastic?
I don’t own a P4P V2. Only V1. But in everything I’ve read about the V2, there is nothing different about the shell.

I can’t vouch for the P4A either. But if the article you quoted is authentic then DJI claim it’s got some titanium. I can’t vouch. But at least one other person here has disputed that. I didn’t think titanium would be lighter than plastic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers