Phantom 4 Pro (available in the DJI store)

yes, I understand, I thought I would go ahead and buy all three because I was unsure of which one I would actually need the most. only 30 bucks each, so no big money involved. I can play with all three and see the differences with different settings of the aperture.
Previously, the ND4 and ND8 were a waste, as ND16 was the minimum required with a fixed aperture of f/2.8 in sunlight to get to 1/50th at the 24fps max available on 4K. The P4P's adjustable aperture is really a game changer, to effectively control the ND filter density in the air! :cool:

You really only need the ND8 at f/5.6, as that is the equivalent of the ND16 at the P4’s fixed f/2.8. Then, open up the aperture to to f/4 or f/2.8 if clouds obscure the sun to get to ND4 or ND2, or stop down to f/8, if your really needed ND32 on f/2.8. One filter should be all you need, with full aperture control. No need for a set anymore. If you will only be shooting at 60fps, instead of 24fps, you might only need ND4 instead.:cool:

Yeah, you don't really need a full suite of filters and in my experience with the Inspire 1 Pro I pretty much only use the ND8 or ND16 or a UV filter when it's too dark to need an ND filter (for balance).

And, shooting at a frame rate of 60 fps will permit a shutter speed upwards of 1/120 -- I'll be interested in how well the 60 fps video looks but suspect that will drive a higher compression of the video and that would not be desirable. My guess is the best video at 4K will be at 30 fps. I have used 24 fps and 30 fps and greatly prefer the smoother look at 30 fps versus the more jumpy video at 24 fps. It may be the case that 24 fps, which is usually just fine for ground based video, is not enough from a drone where just about every pixel shifts every frame.

Brian

I have shot some video at 60 fps, but it was in 1080 P, but still pretty good video.
edit: and shutter speed 120

I have shot some video at 60 fps, but it was in 1080 P, but still pretty good video.
edit: and shutter speed 120

Well if you're going to go with 1080P video 60fps is probably the hot setup unless the bit rate is less -- not sure on that...

But, at 4K with the same 100Mbps bitrate 30fps should be better than 60fps.

Brian

Some Apple stores accidentally released the P4 early. I doubt we'll see Apple screw that one up again.

It is available by itself. B&H sells it as a replacement aircraft. Still won't help, if the P3P and P4 remotes are truly incompatible.

I would be nice to be able to buy just the aircraft and remote without battery and accessories. It'd save a couple hundred as I already have all the other accessories that will work and a half dozen batteries for the P4 and plenty of memory cards, blades etc.

My gopro shares =(

I am back on this forum now... cya mavic forums =)
This is basically a RX100 with props!!

Just curious how the integrated controller and android system is able to get maps etc... pre cache?? hotspot from phone??

Good question. Looks like in the low light demonstration video in post #49, it showed the map. I tried the same hotspot method with my ipad 2 wifi only (before I returned it for the ipad air 2 cellular version), and it didn't work out so well.

Do you know when DJI will begin shipping? I ordered on the 18th direct from store but can't find any info on ship dates.
Newegg (they seem to have a relationship with DJI and are the only ones selling the P4P besides DJI Direct) is saying that P4P/P4P+ orders 'will ship on Nov. 25 from the DJI Store'. I don't know if that means they will be drop-shipped from China or what, but hopefully they will ship from somewhere on the 25th.

From the order page:

Pre-order now, Item will be shipped on 11/25 By DJI Official Store

Do you know when DJI will begin shipping? I ordered on the 18th direct from store but can't find any info on ship dates.
After clicking the buy button in the DJI Store and selecting the P4P or P4P+, you'll see an estimated shipping date. When I ordered on the 15th, the DJI store was showing 1-2 weeks after order confirmation. That's what it's currently showing right now too.

DjiStore.png

My two cents on the Shipping of the Phantom 4 Pro...

- DJI under estimated the popularity of the Mavic Pro. They said in a news report that they had left production of the Mavic Pro to a smaller build factory. Due to the demand, they had increased build capacity elsewhere (at another facility perhaps)?

- DJI has a schedule. The Phantom 4 Pro is not new. It is an enhanced (upgraded Phantom 4). The Phantom 4 assembly line is the one building the Phantom 4 Pro. It has been running for awhile and there are probably a few thousand Phantom 4 Pro drones assembled and just waiting for all necessary components to go in the final box prior to shipping.

With that I say... expect to receive your Phantom 4 Pro on-time. If DJI had not released the Phantom 4 Pro & Inspire 2, then all manufacturing capacity would go to the Mavic Pro and everyone would be flying one by now.

Yes, I'm being Mr. Glass Half Full. :)

I ended up canceling my original order of the P4Pro+ because I also ordered an extra battery with it. I found out a couple days later that an extra battery would take 3-5 weeks to ship and DJI won't split up the order, but instead wait the 3-5 weeks to ship the whole order. screw that!
I reordered the P4Pro+ minus a spare battery, & will simply pick up a spare P4 battery until the P4Pro batteries are more readily available.

My order showed P4P shipping in 1-2 weeks and extra batteries shipping in 3 to 5 weeks. There was a message saying that DJI may ship items separately if any are back ordered. I just hope that statement is true.

My order showed P4P shipping in 1-2 weeks and extra batteries shipping in 3 to 5 weeks. There was a message saying that DJI may ship items separately if any are back ordered. I just hope that statement is true.
I waited an hour on their online chat for them to tell me they won't ship your bird separately if you've ordered extra batteries. That's why I cancelled and reordered. :( I look forward to seeing if yours ships separately though....

I waited an hour on their online chat for them to tell me they won't ship your bird separately if you've ordered extra batteries. That's why I cancelled and reordered. :( I look forward to seeing if yours ships separately though....

Well, don't feel too bad. No-one really knows if they will ship things as available or hold things up. I am hoping the Mavic debacle has taught them that customers would rather have their drone up front and wait for the extras if necessary. In any case I'd say it's 50/50 wether or not they ship as available or only when all on the order is available.

Reactions: cr6

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT