Phantom 4 getting a fly by

No it's a creek bed. We have rivers and creek with no water in them. ;) 6 inches of rain a year, you don't get much water running.

I was thinking if it were a gas,oil,natural gas line that they were doing their regular surveillance flight.

That copter was extremely too low.

If the area is remote a pilot of a plane or helicopter can fly right down on the deck so long as they do not do so over people or structures. So, technically, the pilot was within his rights to fly that low. I had a similar encounter, though no where near this close, about a year ago -- also in a remote area.

Brian

Reactions: phxbird57
That guy was lucky about 30 minutes earlier there was a Huey doing the same thing. that would of been interesting.
View attachment 93169 View attachment 93170

Is this area known for helos flying at low altitudes? The helo in the two photos is a Blackhawk.
It is either an Army or could be a US Customs Blackhawk since you are in AZ. Military and US Customs helos routinely fly at very low altitudes.
Seems like a place to stay away from flying sUAV's in this area.

That guy was lucky about 30 minutes earlier there was a Huey doing the same thing. that would of been interesting.
View attachment 93169 View attachment 93170

Is this area known for helos flying at low altitudes? The helo in the two photos is a Blackhawk.
It is either an Army or could be a US Customs Blackhawk since you are in AZ. Military and US Customs helos routinely fly at very low altitudes.
Seems like a place to stay away from flying sUAV's in this area.
Normally it is over run with ATV's as you can tell from the hill sides. I think the pilots like running the dry creek bed, knowing there is no trees and power lines to look out for.

If the area is remote a pilot of a plane or helicopter can fly right down on the deck so long as they do not do so over people or structures. So, technically, the pilot was within his rights to fly that low. I had a similar encounter, though no where near this close, about a year ago -- also in a remote area.

Brian

Reactions: Michael Humphrey
Some pipeline and power lines are checked regularly and often by aircraft and helicopters. I don’t know the legality of it but I have seen it done many times, there are several companies that use helo’s with a hugh chainsaw contraption hanging from it to trim trees on these right aways.

Reactions: Raptorman0909
Some pipeline and power lines are checked regularly and often by aircraft and helicopters. I don’t know the legality of it but I have seen it done many times, there are several companies that use helo’s with a hugh chainsaw contraption hanging from it to trim trees on these right aways.

I used to live next to a high tension power line and one day I heard a helicopter hovering outside and when I went out to see what was going on there was a helo, just a couple feet from the wires, with a guy sitting in a basket of sorts checking it out. Those pilots and other workers earn there pay, no complaints from me about the risks they take for the money they get. Watching anyone that's really good at what they do is awesome.

Brian

Last edited:
It appears there are situations where both UAV's and helicopters are allowed to fly within the same airspace.
How do we prevent contact?
I know it's always our fault (sigh), but should someone be changing their flight envelopes or practices?
I am not sure what the answer is, hoping someone out there has more insight than I do.

It appears there are situations where both UAV's and helicopters are allowed to fly within the same airspace.
How do we prevent contact?
I know it's always our fault (sigh), but should someone be changing their flight envelopes or practices?
I am not sure what the answer is, hoping someone out there has more insight than I do.
In general, I think there needs to be a a slower speed for helicopters in a lower air space. That would help to avoid collisions. For one it would give drones time to get out of the way. There is no need for a helicopter to fly 300 to 400 ft, over my ridge at high speeds. I'm not near a heliport. They need to realize that there are drones in the air at increasing numbers. They are flying unsafe.

In general, I think there needs to be a a slower speed for helicopters in a lower air space. That would help to avoid collisions. For one it would give drones time to get out of the way. There is no need for a helicopter to fly 300 to 400 ft, over my ridge at high speeds. I'm not near a heliport. They need to realize that there are drones in the air at increasing numbers. They are flying unsafe.

The problem is that helicopters are not the only AC permitted to fly low in remote areas -- planes can too and they have to fly above stall speed which can be over 100mph. As I show in my video linked in post #23 I had a close encounter with a plane in a remote area and he was cooking along at, I'd guess, well north of 150mph and probably closer to 175mph.

Brian

I presume you're talking about my video and, no, I'm about 12 miles north of the Sevier B MOA, even farther from the R6046B Wendover at this location and they are the two closest ones.

Brian
I'm glad you know what he was saying MOA (minutes of angle) to me and I was was not shooting anything but video...

I was referring to a military operations area! Your video shows Blackhawks, and Apache longbows flying in the area, to include the Notar, that missed you! As a former controller, those aircraft often file flight plans at base ops, indicating where they will be flying/training that day! Test pilots, providing maintenance flights may take the bird to predetermined areas to take the bird thru it’s paces! I haven’t studied the maps of your location, and this is merely speculation based on observations of the video! Not meant to point fingers, just giving possible explanations of the presence of 60’s and 64’s in that area, that appears to be in the middle of nowhere.

I was referring to a military operations area! Your video shows Blackhawks, and Apache longbows flying in the area, to include the Notar, that missed you! As a former controller, those aircraft often file flight plans at base ops, indicating where they will be flying/training that day! Test pilots, providing maintenance flights may take the bird to predetermined areas to take the bird thru it’s paces! I haven’t studied the maps of your location, and this is merely speculation based on observations of the video! Not meant to point fingers, just giving possible explanations of the presence of 60’s and 64’s in that area, that appears to be in the middle of nowhere.
That's Arizona! Blackhawks and Apaches are everywhere.

Reactions: phxbird57

Do you think he saw your vehicle and came to do a fly by and got a surprise of his own when he saw your bird ? I'm still not understanding why if it was obvious (by seeing your vehicle and or you) a person was there, why he would get so close to you in the first place.

Do you think he saw your vehicle and came to do a fly by and got a surprise of his own when he saw your bird ? I'm still not understanding why if it was obvious (by seeing your vehicle and or you) a person was there, why he would get so close to you in the first place.
Could not of seen the Vehicle it was on the other side of a hill and I don't think he should of seen me I was about 1/2 mile down the dry creek bed.

well I've never here that term before ( Military operations area) not that Arizona does not have a few. Most are southern part of the state. I think the Black Hawk was National Guards having some fun. The Apache longbows was a few years ago but still see them, they have a testing area north of the area I was at. they fly by to the test area some times stop and look.
Barry M. Goldwater Air Force Range - Wikipedia
Yuma Proving Ground - Wikipedia
Sahuarita Air Force Range - Wikipedia

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3