Phantom 4 Found on Street - Now What?

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm not a drone pilot but found a DJI Phantom on the street after the neighbors moved out. Its just the drone with battery and gimbal camera (no controller or other accessories). First question is - how do I know what series Phantom I have and second: without a controller I dont know if it flies - looking for suggestions as to how to ascertain that it does/doent. The battery says "phantom 4" but I dont know if batteries for 3 and 4 series are interchangeable. Thanks in advance pilots!

Battery says phantom 4,,its a phantom 4,,no battery from other drones wont fit ,,you could add serial number from inside batt box ,location found and if any rego numbers incase its bein looked for..you could check sd card for any familiar areas on film,check lost and found columns,,pilots dont give up on drone if lost and sure they be looking,,might get reward if lucky,it be someone's pride and joy,,dont just buy remote and try fly,it dont work like that,lots to know and since your not the owner,try do the right thing,even post some pictures of it,someone here might be looking,,
If it has side sensors it's a p4p,,if not it's a p4s
Forgot to add search dji serial decoder and enter serial number and it should tell you what it is

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. Again my neighbor moved out and left this with other junk on the sidewalk so there isnt a need to return it. No SD card or other accessories either. There is however, what appears to be a serial number on it. Should I post that here?

Thanks for the info. Again my neighbor moved out and left this with other junk on the sidewalk so there isnt a need to return it. No SD card or other accessories either. There is however, what appears to be a serial number on it. Should I post that here?
Yeh could do but by your comment it might not be lost,strange to leave drone behind unless it's very dead,any power from battery, takes a double press to turn on and off,,also the p4p is more streamlined than the p4s with is larger shell and landing gear,,yes can get remote and relink remote to drone but that's if it works,,any visable damage,,inside the drone are boards with ribbon cables on grommets and only move so far before breaking,,this is where the fun begins,,,you can replace these but depending if anything else wrong some repairs can add up
20220510_081054.jpg

Reactions: phantomenace
If battery dead, try to borrow one to see if P4 does it’s startup routine. Lights, beeps, camera movements. Costs can add up quickly if needs repair, plus a remote (used $100+) and expensive batteries (3rd party $100). If it flies and camera works, still worth it though. Google and YouTube will be helpful. A friend with a P4 would be best, parts interchangeable. Good luck.

Reactions: phantomenace
Another option would be for you to find another drone owner in your area who may be willing to meet and give it a test. Failing that, perhaps take it to a drone repair shop if there's one in your area, to test it for you. That might cost a small amount but it will be much less than investing in a battery and controller.

Hi everyone - I'm not a drone pilot but found a DJI Phantom on the street after the neighbors moved out. Its just the drone with battery and gimbal camera (no controller or other accessories). First question is - how do I know what series Phantom I have and second: without a controller I dont know if it flies - looking for suggestions as to how to ascertain that it does/doent. The battery says "phantom 4" but I dont know if batteries for 3 and 4 series are interchangeable. Thanks in advance pilots!
If you have no luck locating the owner , you might list it for parts here or own Ebay or maybe Craig's list . As several people
have said , it's not as simple as just buying another remote radio . And there is the possibility that that person found it and
after checking into what all it would take to get it in the air just said not worth the trouble . These Phantoms are not toys
like you get from W-M the are very complex computer operated machines , being why they cost so much new , and even
new require a good deal of setting up and registration with DJI and the FAA .

Reactions: Capt KO
If you are in central Florida I could help. Does it have the gimbal ( camera) attached to it? Can you put up some photos? If you brought it to me I would check it out as I have everything to do it with. No Charge.

If someone left a $1600 drone in the trash thats because its broke. I would NEVER fly a found-drone someone threw away, guaranteed its internally broken and even if you get it off the ground its probably going to short out and fall on someones car causing a 3-car accident and you'll be going to jail for unintentional manslaughter.
Don't do it. At the very least take it to a shop!

If someone left a $1600 drone in the trash thats because its broke. I would NEVER fly a found-drone someone threw away, guaranteed its internally broken and even if you get it off the ground its probably going to short out and fall on someones car causing a 3-car accident and you'll be going to jail for unintentional manslaughter.
Everything is repairable.

Everything is repairable.
True. But think--how much will you spend at a shop making sure everything works, and the accessories you will need, the controller itself will be expensive, etc--versus just buying a new drone which you will know 100% won't malfunction possibly putting you in a terrible situation?
I would just be too anxious to fly a found-drone! Hope it works out either way.

Nothing is carved in stone unless you know the history of the drone and how the person who left it in the trash actually acquired it and why this person disposed of it. Also, a brand new drone could drop out of the sky on its first flight and cause a three car collision, So could my five year old P4 the next time I fly it. I still feel either a drone repair shop if there is a local one to the OP, or someone experience with drones. Check the local business listings for either repair shop or for a business offering drone photography service. You could talk to someone there who may be willing to do a test flight for you. You will probably have to be willing to cover the cost if the drone damages anything such as a battery that was installed for the test. I believe it is certainly worth finding out if it is in good working order. If it is, the OP could either purchase needed items to keep it and fly it, or sell it. It would be worth more knowing it was in good flying condition than it would be as a "I don't know if it's good or a piece of junk".

Reactions: Droneted
Ain’t a drone pilot?!?!? Sure scribes like one.

Look in the battery compartment. There is a sticker with the model number on it.
Try to find the rightful owner

Dude’s not a drone pilot because he crashed aforementioned drone. Ergo you can’t be a drone pilot if you don’t have a drone to pilot. He joined and started this thread on May 9th. By May 11th his story was different and he was ready to sell! Check his posts. Why didn’t he just get in touch with his old neighbor?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20