Phantom 4 Controller Connection Issue

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Firstly, let me give you a quick background on myself. I've owned 3 Phantoms (starting with a Phantom 2 with a GoPro) so I know my way around these drones. Ever since I bought my Phantom 4 Pro (about 18 months ago), I've had controller connection issues.

Here's the process:

1) Turn on the P4, turn on the controller with my iPad connected and the DJI Go 4 App fired up.
2) The light on the controller (next to the battery status indicator) is RED
3) The DJI Go apps says Aircraft Disconnected.

What I do, is turn off and on the P4, the Controller and sometimes even restart the Go app although I'm now convinced the app has nothing to do with it. I go through this process for anywhere up to 20-30 times until the light goes GREEN and the Aircraft Connects in the Go App. This can take up to 20 minutes in order to get ready to fly and I'm getting sick of it!

Once the Aircraft is Connected, the P4 flies perfectly and the connection doesn't drop at all. I made a quick video showing what happens so you can see what I'm dealing with. I didn't keep restarting until the Aircraft and the Controller connected, but that's what I usually do!

Do you think it's a bad controller? I've tried using 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz, I've tried manually selecting channels... but I'm out of ideas!

Here's the video - would LOVE some feedback!

Thanks!
Steve

The correct procedure is to turn on the remote control first, then the app and then turn on the phantom, if you have the red light still I would try relinking the bird again. I find a good trick when sometimes when you get "aircraft disconnected" when every thing is fired up is disconnect usb cord from the device and reconnect. You could rollback the firmware on the remote ?

Hi Alan,

I've tried relinking with no success - it just beeps and times out after 60 seconds. The controller flashes blue and after I press and hold the link button on the drone (light flashes red) nothing happens!

I've tried updating, and downgrading firmware. Like I said, this has been happening now for more than a year and every time I update the firmware I hope it fixes the problem, but to no avail!

I do appreciate the ideas though!!

-Steve

Steve, I had a similar problem along with a few others until I abandoned DJI GO and switched to Litchi. Now, I can turn either unit on in any sequence and start the Litchi app at any time and all connects and works perfectly. Before I learned about Litchi, I too had to try different startup procedures and nothing seemed to work. It would all connect it seems when "it" was ready, You may not have the same results as I did with Litchi but if you do indeed try it, you will be amazed at the Litchi app and all you can do with it. Good luck!
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Hi Steve, so on the remote do you have the latest firmware now? with the bird off tap the "disconnected" message in your app in the camera view and that should open another screen with options..

Hi Steve, so on the remote do you have the latest firmware now? with the bird off tap the "disconnected" message in your app in the camera view and that should open another screen with options..

Triple post :) I didn’t know I could click the red error. I’ll try that and get back to ya :)

The correct procedure is to turn on the remote control first, then the app and then turn on the phantom,

Steve,

I've had a similar problem, including twice very recently when I powered up the Phantom before the Go app and the controller, so I would tend to agree with Alan's recommendation. I honestly don't know if there's any empirical evidence to support that thought process but, when I power up the Phantom AFTER the app and the controller are ready, the app automatically recognizes the Phantom and connects immediately. Otherwise, the Phantom just sits there and doesn't connect.

Triple post :) I didn’t know I could click the red error. I’ll try that and get back to ya :)

This is what happens when I click the red Aircraft Disconnected:

IMG_3662.png

The 'strong interference detected' message is there wherever I am - up on the mountain, down at the ocean - wherever! Which leads me to think it has to be something wrong with the controller or the birds rx and/or tx! But who knows which one.

Is there a way to get debug logs off the device anyway??? I'm happy to go through those!

Thanks!

This is what happens when I click the red Aircraft Disconnected:

IMG_3662.png

The 'strong interference detected' message is there wherever I am - up on the mountain, down at the ocean - wherever! Which leads me to think it has to be something wrong with the controller or the birds rx and/or tx! But who knows which one.

Is there a way to get debug logs off the device anyway??? I'm happy to go through those!

Thanks!

A bit late in the day with this one but did you get this problem sorted out? I have a new Phantom 4 pro V2 with exactly the same issue! Tried everything I can think of but looks like it'll be going back.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost