Phantom 4 altitude drop

I wonder if the Obstacle Avoidance feature would save the bird if it started to drop close to the ground on acceleration.

Supposedly that is what DJI guy told me 2 days ago in their booth at The Nab Show in Vegas. But I think I saw one guy on here that did a really fast low run and crashed his. Hard to tell what he actually did but you just don't know unless you risk it. LOL.

Reactions: WWK888
My P4 was dropping when stopping as well. It also had the gimbal squeak. I sent it back to the Dji agent here in New Zealand within the 14 day money back period. Have since been told I will not be getting a refund as it is not in unused condition. Not impressed. Its now been two weeks and I still haven't been sent a replacement. Won't be using nz agent again..Only had made two 5 minute flights and it cost $2928 dollars..

I both mine from spain and the store say inonly have 7 day for refound. If i send it back will be to repair.

Yes well the shop I bought from has 14 day money back guarantee. We also have the nz consumers guarantee act, but the company concerned doesn't care..I don't blame the agent for DJI issues, but the way they have handled it is very poor..

Just flew my P4 to check out the DJI Go App Update. And guess what......no altitude drop. I flew it in P mode, Sport Mode, and ATTI. Could not get it to drop altitude after high speed runs, rapid stops forwards and backwards. And the only thing that has changed was the DJI Go App. Flew it before the App update and was getting 4 to 6 ft drop. Go figure.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Just flew my P4 to check out the DJI Go App Update. And guess what......no altitude drop. I flew it in P mode, Sport Mode, and ATTI. Could not get it to drop altitude after high speed runs, rapid stops forwards and backwards. And the only thing that has changed was the DJI Go App. Flew it before the App update and was getting 4 to 6 ft drop. Go figure.

I have everything updated to the latest version and I still experience the drop, strange.

Makes no sense that the App. has anything to do with it (just sayin').

Attitude control is the domain of the on-board sensors.

I agree....I was really surprised as there were no changes to anything else. Who knows, maybe the drop will appear again next flight. We shall see

I'm wondering if there was something recoded in the app update relating to using the mobile device's barometer as a benchmark, even if there is no barometer present? I haven't flown with the new update yet but will test this for myself tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have been flying with the updated app as well. And I am still getting some drop when the bird is 30ft and higher. Flying it really low its not doing it with me. It also does not do it when flying backwards and stopping immediately.

Same here, everything updated but still the drop issue. When the altitude is low i dont notice. But notice also when going backwards

I have noticed the drop issue with my P4. However, when I look at the flight log data and compare the altitude prior to deceleration; when the P4 comes to rest the altitude is essentially the same. Looking a little closer at the data I am consistently seeing the behavior shown in the graph below when I come to a stop... This may not be the explanation for everyone. However, the early post by Tripc may be on to something.

Last edited:
I just tested today for the first time since the app update. No difference in P-GPS mode; but in sports mode, it rises several feet during braking, then settles a few feet lower than it was while cruising--then slowly raises itself to about a foot or two below the initial altitude.

Hello there,
any update / solution about this issue?
I left last Friday my P3S to use my new P4 and I experienced several alitude drops too.
I calibrated the IMU without success and I risked to lose my drone against the top of a tree due to a 2 mt. drops... :(

I'm wondering if I have to return the P4 and use again my old and faithful P3S.. it doesn't shoot at 60 fps but at least keeps the altitude..

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic