Phantom 4 Adv - range query vs P4P

Reaction score
The P4A seems like a great option. P4P camera and I likely wouldn't use the back sensors. Don't really care about 5.8GHZ either.

I was planning to get it for my next drone though I've read it has the dreaded short range TX which isn't great compared to the Mavic or P4P.

I have a P3P which works fine but the range is only about 1km before it breaks up and you start panicking.

I have little desire to go further than this though I would like a rock solid connection at that distance as a couple of times I've flown over water etc and whilst it's line of sight and I can still (barely) see the thing, the connection drops out right when I want to look at something like a cool rock formation on cliffs etc.

I'm wondering how 'bad' the P4 remote really is and how the P4 goes at distance as from what I gather, the Lightbridge solution is from the P4.

Cheers!

The P4A seems like a great option. P4P camera and I likely wouldn't use the back sensors. Don't really care about 5.8GHZ either.

I was planning to get it for my next drone though I've read it has the dreaded short range TX which isn't great compared to the Mavic or P4P.

I have a P3P which works fine but the range is only about 1km before it breaks up and you start panicking.

I have little desire to go further than this though I would like a rock solid connection at that distance as a couple of times I've flown over water etc and whilst it's line of sight and I can still (barely) see the thing, the connection drops out right when I want to look at something like a cool rock formation on cliffs etc.

I'm wondering how 'bad' the P4 remote really is and how the P4 goes at distance as from what I gather, the Lightbridge solution is from the P4.

Cheers!
Weird. You only get 1km? Can you give us some more information...
Where are you in the world?
Are you flying in a city or rural location?
Are you always flying in the in the same place?
I ask, as I have a 3A, am in the UK so have the CE restriction. I get a 3km without a windsurfer, so that's in line with it's stated manufacturers range and 5+ with one. So for you to only get 1km is very odd. The only time I have restricted range is in Ireland, where I'm unable to go beyond 2km in one specific area - can't discover why. When I move location, the normal range returns.

Over water! 0.9-1.1km and it starts getting choppy. I've done it multiple times.

Totally stock P3P with the stock controller and an iPad Air 2. Works perfectly apart from that.

I was kind of hoping the P4A might be better but it doesn't sound like it if it uses the P4 Lightbridge tech. 1km is fine as I want to use it for commercial work but some extra distance means better push behind trees etc too which is important.

So, where are you in the world???
What altitude are you using? If its low say, 100-150', take it to 300 and see if that improves the signal.
What gets "choppy" - the FPV video signal to the ipad or the TX signal? If its just the video, that's not unusual; I've had the occasional "freeze" of signal at 100', but its been fine out to 17k feet too. Also, as I said before, increase altitude.
Are you always flying in the in the same place? If you are, try somewhere else.
How old is the kit?
If none of the above work or you've already tried the above without success and its less than 12m old, call DJI....

Reactions: Loz

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj