Phantom 3 vs. 3DR Solo

Reaction score
Looks like this is going to be the battle this summer. P3 has the advantage of Lightbridge. My dream come true on a Phantom. A mile or more range while still getting an HD video on your monitor is something I'm hoping to see come true on my quad. Solo has the advantage of 2 computers. So much you can do with that set up. More modular and ability for programmers to write software for cool things. About $700 more comparably equipped. On price alone, you can't beat P3. Especially if you don't need 4k. P3 at $999!!! Come on, that is incredible pricing for an HD camera on a hopefully quality improved platform. Solo is probably the better platform for close in work (1,000 ft or less). I have a feeling that by mid summer the software platforms of the 2 will be the same after updates. By that I mean they will both have identical features they copied from each other and others.

Well all of this is mute until the beta testers get their quads and start putting up videos. The pro videos look great, but that doesn't tell me how they will look when us non pro's film with our quads. It will be interesting to see the vids. In addition, I can't wait for the guys who will open up their quads and comment on the internal construction of the quads. Finally, will fly aways be a thing of the past? I'm excited!

The Solo has some cool concepts for positioning the camera; like a virtual cable concept.

However, many events are random in nature; you never know how to position the camera until it happens.

Having the best quality real time video downlink has high value for other use cases; such as real time viewing/surveillance.

I wish the best for 3DR but the situation events are not static or predictable place.

Things are dynamic and on the move. Video capture of real-time-world events is not predictable. Perhaps for a fixed object like a building or person remaining still.

DJI will end up selling more P3's that their P2V.

I'm going with the Solo myself. Its just a lot more advanced and you aren't limited to a crappy camera. I tried the Iris+ over the winter and like it a lot. I think this is good bye to DJI.

I'm going with the Solo myself. Its just a lot more advanced and you aren't limited to a crappy camera. I tried the Iris+ over the winter and like it a lot. I think this is good bye to DJI.
So go find a SOLO forum to troll in.

Reactions: SkinFluteSwe
The Solo has some cool concepts for positioning the camera; like a virtual cable concept
And it would seem to be fairly trivial to achieve on the Phantoms (2 and 3) via the SDK. Yes, more work and not out-of-the-box, but I can't imagine it's that much of a unit-seller.

It's easy to complain about DJI not including a lot of the things out of the box (caveat: I absolutely believe basic GS support should be added), but I think with an afternoon's worth of work, any person could store two points and have the Phantom fly between them.

So go find a SOLO forum to troll in.
RELAX... If you think about, you know you don't want to go there...

... and we definitely don't need fan boys on this site that reflexively go ballistic at the mere whisper of dissent. This isn't Xbox vs PlayStation, iPhone vs Android, etc... Just look back through the history of this site. People have discussed the pros and cons of various drones on these boards for a long time now. This site isn't owned or run by DJI. Its independent. Last time I checked, its still independent even after the new owners came in. No one (in the past anyway) has ever objected to anyone else here saying they prefer a different drone from a company other than DJI. Plenty of people have come and gone... and come back. Plenty of people have bitched and moaned about DJI and their crappy customer service and various other shady moves they've made over the years.

RELAX... If you think about, you know you don't want to go there...

... and we definitely don't need fan boys on this site that reflexively go ballistic at the mere whisper of dissent. This isn't Xbox vs PlayStation, iPhone vs Android, etc... Just look back through the history of this site. People have discussed the pros and cons of various drones on these boards for a long time now. This site isn't owned or run by DJI. Its independent. Last time I checked, its still independent even after the new owners came in. No one (in the past anyway) has ever objected to anyone else here saying they prefer a different drone from a company other than DJI. Plenty of people have come and gone... and come back. Plenty of people have bitched and moaned about DJI and their crappy customer service and various other shady moves they've made over the years.
I am relaxed, and I'm not sure what I should be thinking about in regards to where I don't want to go. I have no problem with debating the pros and cons of each, but your post didn't really strike me as something you were using to start a discussion, rather the contrary. In any case, go read the 10 other P3 vs SOLO threads on here and if you have something new that hasn't been already said 100x, put it up and the community will join in.

Tbh honest from the p3 videos I've seen so far I'm very underwhelmed and I'm thinking of going either the gopro route with the solo or seeing what bird is needed to carry the black magic. But I've ruled myself out from getting a p3.

Tbh honest from the p3 videos I've seen so far I'm very underwhelmed and I'm thinking of going either the gopro route with the solo or seeing what bird is needed to carry the black magic. But I've ruled myself out from getting a p3.
The video quality is really the biggest issue. Same with the Inspire 1. You can only salvage so much in post. The small sensor kills them. But you'll be able to swap a GoPro onto a P3 just like a lot of us have done with P2V+. It'll void your warranty, but lets be honest, how much is a DJI warranty really worth? Even for the subset of people who do make a successful warranty claim, they end up waiting months to get their bird back (by which time a new version has probably been released).

Reactions: JLJ
I am relaxed, and I'm not sure what I should be thinking about in regards to where I don't want to go. I have no problem with debating the pros and cons of each, but your post didn't really strike me as something you were using to start a discussion, rather the contrary. In any case, go read the 10 other P3 vs SOLO threads on here and if you have something new that hasn't been already said 100x, put it up and the community will join in.
Just leave it alone. Your only digging yourself in deeper.

The video quality is really the biggest issue. Same with the Inspire 1. You can only salvage so much in post. The small sensor kills them.
The Gopro has the same sensor size as the P3 but it's handicapped by the fisheye lens that means you're giving away lots of that "superior" Gopro image quality converting it.

I don't know how anyone can take to Gopro cameras. They seem to go out of their way to make their cameras difficult to use. The 4 silver has one button on the top, one on the front and one on the side and it is not obvious what any of them do, but at least it does have a touch screen at the back. There is a lot to be said for a camera that is properly integrated into the machine and has at least some degree of remote control.

I don't know how anyone can take to Gopro cameras. They seem to go out of their way to make their cameras difficult to use. The 4 silver has one button on the top, one on the front and one on the side and it is not obvious what any of them do, but at least it does have a touch screen at the back. There is a lot to be said for a camera that is properly integrated into the machine and has at least some degree of remote control.
The gopro serves its original intended purpose. It's just people have expanded its usage .... and apparently it's CEO is now the top paid CEO in the US per cnn.com
I personally think the integration of the gopro controls into the Solo is a great evolution. However this strategy will be old news within the year. Both DJI and 3DR will have to innovate to stay relevant, else risk obsolescence.

The Gopro has the same sensor size as the P3 but it's handicapped by the fisheye lens that means you're giving away lots of that "superior" Gopro image quality converting it.

This is misleading. Yes, they share the same imager. That does not mean they produce the same quality image. And there are much bigger differences between the two cameras than the lenses. Let's let the footage speak for itself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.