Phantom 3 Standard

A1.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a little new to the whole drone game here. I'm a photographer and bought my first drone today. As much as I'm impressed with the drone, I'm curious how people are flying so far away and still being able to view their camera through their phone? Like I don't get it. Wifi signals do not extend that far. So maybe you guys can enlighten me since I'm so stupid. ?

Welcome to the forum.
I used itelete panels on all my WiFi drones. Others opted
for other brands and also used amps. A short search
using our search feature will show you many threads on it.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
The P3S , Mavic Air , Mavic Mini all use Wi-Fi , all other DJI drones use an advanced transmission system that allows them to go kms in distance .The most I could get out of my P3S was 900m over a lake , with my Mavic I've had it out to 2km over a forested area and it will go way farther but anything beyond visual sight is illegal .

The P3S , Mavic Air , Mavic Mini all use Wi-Fi , all other DJI drones use an advanced transmission system that allows them to go kms in distance .The most I could get out of my P3S was 900m over a lake , with my Mavic I've had it out to 2km over a forested area and it will go way farther but anything beyond visual sight is illegal .
Add the Spark to the list of WiFi drones. There are also differences in the WiFi as well. All but the P3S use enhanced WiFi. My Spark has much better range than my P3S. My P3S signal drops long before my Spark does.

Regardless, not sure where the OP is from but in most countries, flying VLOS is the law so the ability to fly your drone kilometres away is moot anyway since it’s illegal to fly those distances.

Chris

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm in the States, Oklahoma to be exact. Not to much crazy stuff to view here other than storms, I just wanted to be able to use that 400 feet altitude without losing signal.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm in the States, Oklahoma to be exact. Not to much crazy stuff to view here other than storms, I just wanted to be able to use that 400 feet altitude without losing signal.
I’ve had mine up to 120m (400ft) which is the max height here, without any problems.

Chris

Cheap parabolic antennas (reflectors) will increase your range. P3S standard WiFi is susceptible to outside interference requiring a change of location at times. Good luck and have fun. It does take great pictures and video.

Hi A1. I’ve owned my P3s for four years. On more than one occasion I’ve flown it up to 400 ft and around 3000 feet out. Rarely have I lost signal. The environment you fly in (rural vs urban) can certainly have an effect on the signal. There are two different signals being transmitted and received. One is control signal (external antennas) and video signal (internal antennas). Also antenna position on the RC can affect the control signal.
Suggest you take some time and check out YouTube video’s on the P3s. There are lots of them with some good information.
Enjoy the adventure.

Without mods you can get further than normal WiFi with a P3S because, as someone above mentioned, it’s a modified WiFi protocol. As far as I understand, it has to do with not requiring chatty confirmation packets.

That explains how you get further than normal WiFi. For tens of thousands of feet, yes you need antenna mods such as Itelite mentioned here as well as replacing the aircraft antennas with P4 antennas strapped to the legs. I’ve done both. Itelite improves uplink aircraft control. The aircraft mod helps video downlink.

You still need a clear shot for the signal.

I use the Magic Power mod with simple parabolic extenders. Try Youtube for info..

A tip for Magic Power is to start it as administrator so you can aviod violation error during use it for the db-setting on your P3S.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers