Phantom 3 Standard Controller Not Connecting to App

Reaction score
My transmitter on my P3 standard will connect to my DJI GO app initially but only for a few moments then it disconnects video feed. It is still connected to the Phantom but just not to the app. I tried resetting my wi-fi by turning the gimbal dial to the right and toggling the S2 switch. It will initial the sequence and the light on the transmitter flashes red, green but it continues to do so and does not turn to a solid green. Can anyone help with this? Also cannot get the firmware to downgrade.

Welcome to the Forum!
50 views and no help. :rolleyes:

Are you still stuck?
Skip the firmware problem for now.
Paying no attention to the app.

Can you get the status light on the remote to green, and the status light on the bottom of the Phantom green?

Rod

Yes. The status light on the aircraft had always been good. Green flashes in the rear and and solid red red in the front. Transmitter links to the app initially. Transmitter has green light but after a few minutes the LED on the transmitter turns red and the video feed freezes and the screen is black and white. The transmitter is still connected to the aircraft and I have full control of the aircraft and gimbal function. Just no video feed or telemetry. I think something is wrong with the WiFi receivers in the transmitter. But not sure.

Welcome to the Forum!
50 views and no help. :rolleyes:

Are you still stuck?
Skip the firmware problem for now.
Paying no attention to the app.

Can you get the status light on the remote to green, and the status light on the bottom of the Phantom green?

Rod

"Green flashes in the rear and and solid red red in the front."

The status light on the Phantom is next to the re-link button its in the same hole.

Is it green or does it turn red, same as the remote?

Rod

I'm sorry, it stays green when the light on the transmitter light turns red.

"Green flashes in the rear and and solid red red in the front."

The status light on the Phantom is next to the re-link button its in the same hole.

Is it green or does it turn red, same as the remote?

Rod

Hum...,
Ok, I get it now and just learned something about the status lights, thanks!
Yes, I would think the remote is the problem, has this ever worked like it should?
Does there seem to be a common timeout? Meaning 10 secs or 2 mins.
Still thinking about this the Phantom could still be the problem, its Transmission to the remote could be whats failing.

Rod

I think his mobile is staying connected to the remote, when the remote light turns red, then his video goes still and looses his Telemetry at the same time.

So what I think I learned today, the lights are not what a thought would have been a synced loop status.
Phantom green, Phantom sees Remote.
Remote green, Remote sees Phantom.

Seems like Duh factor now.

I have also been confused with this one. :rolleyes:
Standard - Phantom 3 Standard - Telemetry without camera

Rod

@Kuntri72. Are you saying that your device (phone/tablet) won't stay connected to the Phantom remote controller's WiFi?

In a way yes. The transmitter doesn't lose connection with the aircraft at all. The transmitter is either losing the WiFi signal or the problem may be in the WiFi module which I believe is located in the gimbal base. Not sure. I guess I can send it in for repair, just afraid of the cost.

Hum...,
Ok, I get it now and just learned something about the status lights, thanks!
Yes, I would think the remote is the problem, has this ever worked like it should?
Does there seem to be a common timeout? Meaning 10 secs or 2 mins.
Still thinking about this the Phantom could still be the problem, its Transmission to the remote could be whats failing.

Rod

I changed the signal antennas that are located in the battery tray part of the aircraft. One has a black cable and the other is gray and they connect to the gimbal. I'm thinking it could be possibly the WiFi module in the gimbal that's bad or the controller. Not sure and not sure how to test for the problem

In a way yes. The transmitter doesn't lose connection with the aircraft at all. The transmitter is either losing the WiFi signal or the problem may be in the WiFi module which I believe is located in the gimbal base. Not sure. I guess I can send it in for repair, just afraid of the cost.
Have you tried connecting your device to your remote controller away from another home WiFi source? I've read a time or two here that when someone is too close to their home WiFi signal, that their device switches back over to it by itself. I've not experienced that though.

I have not tried that. My phone does reconnect immediately to my home WiFi signal when the LED light on my transmitter turns how's from Green to red.

Have you tried connecting your device to your remote controller away from another home WiFi source? I've read a time or two here that when someone is too close to their home WiFi signal, that their device switches back over to it by itself. I've not experienced that though.

mdowney58 I did get a chance to try what you suggested. I took everything outside on my deck and it did the same thing as before. It connected for a short time then would disconnect. the app said that my gimbal was disconnected.
I noticed on my phone I was still getting wifi signal from the house. I forgot I set up a wifi booster a few months ago, so I moved over to the kids swing set and It connected. LED on the controller stayed green I was able to calibrate IMU, the compass, and the gimbal all while staying connected. So wifi interference must be what is causing the video feed to disconnect, but when I would get about 10-15ft away from the aircraft the video feed would quite again and I would get the message on the app saying that my gimbal is disconnected. Not sure what thats about. But when I went back over to the swing set I turned off the aircraft and turned it back on and it linked back up after about 30 seconds.

Last edited:
"gimbal is disconnected" To me this means your remote / app still see the Phantoms WiFi otherwise you would just have a simple no signal, like you turned the Phantom off.

Do you still get telemetry (the data)?

Rod

"gimbal is disconnected" To me this means your remote / app still see the Phantoms WiFi otherwise you would just have a simple no signal, like you turned the Phantom off.

Rod

Rod it's weird. If I use my phone ( Motorola Droid Maxx ) it just says disconnected and will not reconnect if I turn the aircraft off and then back on. But if I use my wife's iPad mini it says gimbal disconnected and it will reconnect with an image feed after I turn the aircraft off and power it back on. iPad mini doesn't drop the phantom WiFi in the process. However the phone does. Also with the iPad I couldn't get the firmware version or the S/N but with my phone it says firmware 1.8.10 and gave an S/N. I tried several times today to downgrade firmware. It acted like it took it the 3rd try. I took the SD card out and put it in the computer and the last line said successful. I have powered it back up yet. Cooked supper and meet soon had ball practice. I'll try this evening if not to late or tomorrow at lunch.

Rod

I do NOT still get telemetry. I've since bought a new controller. The original one had some issues. The antenna was loose and the right stick had a broken bracket inside the housing. So if I pushed on the stick it would actually press in. So the new transmitter linked right up with the aircraft. Stayed connected for a bit and then disconnected. Said gimbal was disconnected. I did see that I successfully loaded the downgraded firmware. 1.7.9 and it says it in the go app. I also can see the SN. I think the connection keeps dropping because of all the wifi routers. I pick up like 5 different ones just in my back yard. I haven't had a chance to go somewhere where there would be no interference. Gonna try tomorrow. I feel like I've come a long way. Since problems I've been able to connect with video feed for more than 2 minutes and have been able to successfully downgrade firmware. I just don't understand how I see people connecting and doing all this stuff on videos and their bird stays connected but mine does not.

You need to turn on the airplane mode on your mobile device. Then connect to the drone wifi. This will eliminate all the interference.

@Kuntri72,
Dang its been a while, did you every get anywhere?

You last posted more than 2 minutes, is it always the same?

Rod

I was having much the same issue, with my Samsung S8 plus. I ended up resolving it everytime by rebooting the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav