Phantom 3 severe crash while performing auto take off

I have no idea. ESC failure? Scroll up a bunch of posts. There was a battery error.

you can convert your txt file at djilogs.com

SMART_BATTERY.voltage

also log file said BatteryCommunicateError

Post edited. Battery is 4s

Last edited:
2.81v/cell would be bad news for sure but isn't the battery a 4S not 6?

I believe that the issue with the flip overs should be a fault with VPS making aircraft that is upside down so it should flip over .

I know that VPS is not working after several meters above the ground but what if fault VPS can transmit faulty data?

If that was the case then a VPS disabled even faulty will not cause any flip over issues.

All these are theory and might be completely erroneous

you can convert your txt file at djilogs.com

SMART_BATTERY.voltage

also log file said BatteryCommunicateError

Post edited. Battery is 4s

This isn't a P3 battery you are displaying, voltage is 15.2 when fully charged.

Checking the flightlog the csv shows some weird stuff going on.

Only checking the center battery details:
CENTER_BATTERY.errorType is indicating
2147483648and then
2952790016 and back to
Usually error type = 0
SMART_BATTERY.status
shows a
BatteryCommunicateError 32 seconds into the flight
APP_WARN.warn
shows "battery error" 31 seconds into the flight
CENTER_BATTERY.current
jumps from 11.658amps to 32.768amps (thats about twice the normal current in hover)
Watts increase to 486 (phantom3 hovers at between 120 - 150)

Certainly a battery problem but will check in Dashware whether I can see if this happens before or after the crash.

Hi,

Didn't have Internet access yesterday, so just responding now. Sorry for that.

BatteryCommunicateError 32 seconds into the flight
Not sure when it starts counting, but the flight (defined by starting at take off) was very very short (see video). So 32 seconds is probably after the crash. I tried to "force" eject the battery, because the props didn't stop spinning at high speed.

Also wanted to mention two more issues I'm experiencing:

IMU Calibration

Since the crash I tried to run an IMU calibration but it never gets to the full 100% because of being out of the temperature range. If I put the Phantom 3 in a bag and then in the fridge (as recommended by some people) I get to around 50% (takes about 40 minutes to get to 50%), but without the fridge hack I don't even get above 2..10%.

Is there anything I can do?

Buzzing Sound from Gimble

So, this is something that has already been there since the beginning when I started up the Phantom 3 for the first time and then at every consecutive flight. I assumed it would be normal, but now I came across those forum posts saying that is absolutely not normal:
Here's a video of my Phantom 3 making those strange sounds:

Status with DJI Support Europe

They initially responded very quickly and asked me for a lot of details about the crash and data. Haven't heard back from them since then, but will post updates here once I hear something.

I'm really hoping to have a properly working replacement unit by the end of next week, as I'm going on holidays and would love to have the Phantom 3 with me.

I had a P3 about 2 months ago that upon receiving it would make a gimbal straining noise at 0 degrees. It was not the fan on top of the gimbal assembly but a defect from the gimbal guard being off in the box during shipping. My UPS driver is retired RECON so you can guess how gentle he is with the packages:D

Hi,

Didn't have Internet access yesterday, so just responding now. Sorry for that.

Not sure when it starts counting, but the flight (defined by starting at take off) was very very short (see video). So 32 seconds is probably after the crash. I tried to "force" eject the battery, because the props didn't stop spinning at high speed.

For what its worth the CENTER_BATTERY.errorType = 2147483648 starts in the first second of the flight.
Most of the flight logs I've seen have a CENTER_BATTERY.errorType = 0

But no idea what that error code means.

I don't know about the firmware error, but just in general, I would be carefull taking off near a ledge like that. Any wind hitting the edge can cause a violent vortex. I spoke with a I1 pilot a few months back and he said his I1 flipped over after getting caught in a vortex near a cliff. Not saying that is what happened here, but something to be aware of.

Also wanted to mention two more issues I'm experiencing:

IMU Calibration

Since the crash I tried to run an IMU calibration but it never gets to the full 100% because of being out of the temperature range. If I put the Phantom 3 in a bag and then in the fridge (as recommended by some people) I get to around 50% (takes about 40 minutes to get to 50%), but without the fridge hack I don't even get above 2..10%.

Is there anything I can do?

Buzzing Sound from Gimble

So, this is something that has already been there since the beginning when I started up the Phantom 3 for the first time and then at every consecutive flight. I assumed it would be normal, but now I came across those forum posts saying that is absolutely not normal:
Here's a video of my Phantom 3 making those strange sounds:

Status with DJI Support Europe

They initially responded very quickly and asked me for a lot of details about the crash and data. Haven't heard back from them since then, but will post updates here once I hear something.

I'm really hoping to have a properly working replacement unit by the end of next week, as I'm going on holidays and would love to have the Phantom 3 with me.
The strange sound D...DD is when the firmware is done updating. Does your Phantom make that sound after restart?

Hi , i am a beginer, can you tell us more about the mod value ? Where to find it ? What it means? How to adjust it ? Thanks a lot. Marc

MOD value? What is it? And where do I look on the App to find it?

Thanks,

Kevin H.
Hi
Your mod value was probably off. It happened to me but I was ready for it. I took it up high, shifted to atti mode and landed. What was your mod value on the compass prior to initiating take off. If you don't know it, then the compass calibration was off...even if it didn't give you an error.

Check mod value on the compass before every flight. 1400-1600. Mine usually sits around 1500

I too was waiting for someone to answer the questions about where to find the MOD values but none were forthcoming do I poked around and it is found in the mode menu under SENSORS. I guess the mod value on the right side of compass should be around 1500 according to what I read in these posts. Will be checking myself from now on.

Your mod value was probably off. It happened to me but I was ready for it. I took it up high, shifted to atti mode and landed. What was your mod value on the compass prior to initiating take off. If you don't know it, then the compass calibration was off...even if it didn't give you an error.

Check mod value on the compass before every flight. 1400-1600. Mine usually sits around 1500
How do you ck and what is mod value?

Unfortunately my brand new Phantom 3 advanced had a severe crash on its 3rd flight while performing auto take off."]

I just took my P3P for its maiden flight today and after reading some of these crazy out of control all over the Web it isn't giving me a lot of confidence. << Did I receiver an "out of control" aircraft like the others? Or...Is mine going to give me years of service? >>

That is the question I dream about. Strange but true my P2 which had over 75 flights just went crazy on me. On what was a normal flight filming some property in a rural area between 250'-275' in altitude, I decided to bring her home in a slow back away from the property and all of a sudden it just flipped on its rear side, accelerated wide open and flew horizontally at 50 MPH slowly descending until it hit the ground. Lots of damage but the GoPro 3+ survived undamaged.

So I said what the heck and bought a P3P but now I've lost my confidence. Did a meticulous task of updates, calibrating IMU, checking everything and then rechecking again. Even checked every screw for tightness and every connection. Yet today I was so nervous I forgot to hit record on the maiden flight. But it went off without a hitch even though I didn't test auto takeoff or RTH I loved the steady no drift flight. At 6'-20' high it didn't move laterally even one inch despite the light wind.

But after reading this and a few more this evening I'm not looking forward for a leisurely afternoon of flying tomorrow (Sunday). Rather it will probably be a nail biter not leaving my three acres instead of investigating the many lakes in the 'hood.

Reactions: Fir3b1rd

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj