Phantom 3 Pro or Mavic Pro

Reaction score
I currently own brand new and barely used phantom 3 std.
Given an opportunity to upgrade will you go with phantom 3 Pro or Mavic Pro?
I am looking for upgraded distance range and 4K video first and foremost. Using litchi waypoints most of the time.
Obviously Mavic Pro is portable but I already got all the accessories and extra batteries for phantom.

What would you do?))

Will post same in Mavic forum just for kicks

I currently own brand new and barely used phantom 3 std.
Given an opportunity to upgrade will you go with phantom 3 Pro or Mavic Pro?
I am looking for upgraded distance range and 4K video first and foremost. Using litchi waypoints most of the time.
Obviously Mavic Pro is portable but I already got all the accessories and extra batteries for phantom.

What would you do?))

Will post same in Mavic forum just for kicks

Its a no brainer if you already have P3 batterys etc. The cost of DJI batterys alone gives reason to NOT make change to different design.

Nigel

Mavic pro best

But that's your opinion ... which you are fully entitled to.

We all have likes and dislikes ... loves / hates ... preferences ... bias.

Problem here is that each biased view can produce enough valid arguments for their choice.

Nigel

Reactions: ABTOCMEPTb
As long as your current equipment is working well and not near the end of it's life you'd be better off staying with the P3 series and utilizing what you have.

If I were going to buy new everything I'd probably go with the Mavic 2 Pro to get the much improved sensor but none of these offer 4K at higher frame rates unfortunately. It would be nice to have 4K at 60fps and more but for some reason DJI hasn't bought into this yet at least not for this series of aircraft.

If you were comparing specs of the two, then there is no choice which is best,
If we are splitting hairs as OP has batteries lol lol lol,
Answer is the Mavic pro, especially when distance is mentioned . . .

But isn’t phantom 3 Pro is capable of going as far as Mavic Pro?

I do understand that Mavic is more advanced however for what I do level of P3S is good enough for me. As I stated above all I am looking for is to upgrade range and camera.

Last edited:
As long as your current equipment is working well and not near the end of it's life you'd be better off staying with the P3 series and utilizing what you have.

If I were going to buy new everything I'd probably go with the Mavic 2 Pro to get the much improved sensor but none of these offer 4K at higher frame rates unfortunately. It would be nice to have 4K at 60fps and more but for some reason DJI hasn't bought into this yet at least not for this series of aircraft.

Interesting you mention the fps .....

The human eye actions around the 25 - 27fps rate and is why 30fps video when in turns etc. - the eye detects the frame jumps. For good non eye detectable frame rates - you need to be 40fps or more. That is information given to me by Opthalmic Surgeon who also happens to be a camera buff.

Therefore 4K is not all its cracked up to be ... and if you read various owners manuals for gear such as GoPro etc. - the recc'd is to use 1080 or 1920 ... to give good video ... high fps .... easily handled by most computer editing software and viewable on all TV's ..............

Nigel

If you were comparing specs of the two, then there is no choice which is best,
If we are splitting hairs as OP has batteries lol lol lol,
Answer is the Mavic pro, especially when distance is mentioned . . .

Not splitting hairs at all ... its a fact that battery and gear costs make a difference when considering the choice.

As to distance ... that's a mute point really because such distance contravenes VLOS flight rules .....

Nigel

Which also made me think now I should have stated “better battery time” rather than “range in meters”.
Flying waypoints missions mostly anyways.

I do understand that Mavic is more advanced however for what I do level of P3S is good enough for me. As I stated above all I am looking for is to upgrade range and camera.

Yes for most "normal" instances the MP and P3P have more than reasonable distances. While the MP can go further you are flying well beyond VLOS before you even get close to out of range of the P3P.

Looking at the BIG PICTURE I can't suggest the OP waste $$ on equipment that doesn't benefit his actual need.

I had the opportunity to upgrade. I can afford the Mavick but decided to stick with the P3P for all of the reasons outlined above. I have plenty of new batteries, compatible hard case, backpack, prop balance, chargers. The list goes on. And as much as I love the P3P, I use the standard much more often.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yes for most "normal" instances the MP and P3P have more than reasonable distances. While the MP can go further you are flying well beyond VLOS before you even get close to out of range of the P3P.

Looking at the BIG PICTURE I can't suggest the OP waste $$ on equipment that doesn't benefit his actual need.

That's the real decider ... What the operator needs and wants.

If he's into hiking / backpacking / travel - then of course the Mavic will win out.

If that is not an issue and he wants stable camera platform with good range - then its down to how much money he has which he buys.

The P3P ... and lets not forget the P4 ... have excellent camera and gimbal systems.

Nigel

Last edited:
Well at the end I went with p4adv and Mavic air to replace p3s and spark.
I am not sure yet what to do with last two. They are almost new...

Well at the end I went with p4adv and Mavic air to replace p3s and spark.
I am not sure yet what to do with last two. They are almost new...

You could donate them to your local Police Dept or Fire Dept? It might help them think "Oh we need an sUAS program."

Our local Emergency Services Dept was just donated a "Newed" P3S we will use for training etc.

Craigs List ?

Ebay ?

Local shop resale ?

Nigel

At last, the Mavic Pro 2 has a one inch sensor, which will undoubtedly reduce noise & should yield better images IF the lens is up to the job. However, it won't necessarily be DSLR quality, since presumably the focal point is optimised to give enough depth of field for infinity & as close as possible. In absolute terms, DOF is a myth: it just means acceptable sharpness. Until an autofocus lens [& all the corresponding electronics & control gear] is put on these drones, the fixed focus will always limit sharpness. Having said that, I find that with some Photoshop tweaking, my P3S produces very good A4 prints. If you have accessories for the Phantom, I'd say keep it - the batteries alone are worth a lot of money. Portability is the main strength of the Mavic, but if you can lug the phantom around, wait until Mavics come up on Ebay - then trade

Both drones got dji care service till August 2019. I just rather keep them as a back up or kids toys. Don’t want to lose $400-500 by selling them after literally a few flights.

Therefore 4K is not all its cracked up to be ... and if you read various owners manuals for gear such as GoPro etc. - the recc'd is to use 1080 or 1920 ... to give good video ... high fps .... easily handled by most computer editing software and viewable on all TV's

For the average viewer, 4K isn't needed and is overkill.

Most drone videos uploaded to You Tube are watched on cell phones or computer monitors, and anything over 1080P can't really be noticed. Larger TV's however - it absolutely can be.

Many people don't have the disposable income to purchase newer and more expensive video editing software that will handle editing their 4K video.

That said, 4K is great if you can edit it, as you can zoom in on it without picture deterioration, or slow it down as well without issues. Most people I know who bought Mavic Pros for example changed their camera settings from 4K down to 1080P. Takes up a LOT less space on their micro-SD cards as well.

And for some of us - storage is an issue. I have probably 10 terrabytes of storage space and I'm about full.

Both drones got dji care service till August 2019. I just rather keep them as a back up or kids toys. Don’t want to lose $400-500 by selling them after literally a few flights.
I downloaded Adobe Premiere 16 & got a LEGAL activation key on Ebay for £25 - accepted by Adobe. However, you are right in that my PC [i5 chip, 8gb ram + 1gb graphics ram] struggles to render anything over 1080p - & quality is fine on 42" TV

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures