Phantom 3 Pro Catastrophic Battery Failure

Not true, many other people have started from a full battery and encountered this issue. This is a big problem DJI needs to fix. The p1 and 2 never had this problem. (They had the flyaway)
and How would someone define "Many" other people, two, four, hundreds, thousands, hundred thousand--- This whole conversation is pure speculation--- but it makes for good reading :D:D

There is no logic or documentation............mmmmm.
Looks in manual.......on page 44 PDF version (not sure if different to paper version.

Preflight Checklist1. Remote controller, Intelligent Flight Battery, and mobile device are fully charged.

It's there in black and white.
You are correct. But 100% wrong

The actions taken in a pre-flight are taken before a flying session, in all of aviation! NOT prior to every liftoff.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
You are correct. But 100% wrong

The actions taken in a pre-flight are taken before a flying session, in all of aviation! NOT prior to every liftoff.

Since you extend the Phantom checklist to all of aviation, you may have some commercial pilots that would whole heartedly disagree with your assessment that the checklist is not performed prior to every lift off. From the flights I have been on, I have witnessed pilots performing continual checklists especially during take off's and landings. Also, flying the P3 may not compare to flying a full scale aircraft in every instance-- So how could the poster be correct but be 100 percent wrong. I fail to see the logic in that statement.
Cheers

Reactions: twist4 and HD pilot
Since I am an air-frame inspector I AM that category.

Ok and what does that mean, that you inspect air craft air frames-- and in some way that is related to the P3 checklist published by DJI and it is 100% wrong-- ???

Or since you are an air frame inspector, that you are saying that pilots of full size aircraft don't perform checklists every time they take off??

Could you further expound on why the poster is correct but 100% wrong??

Not yet have been away. Very disheartening to have it crash after 130 flights with not one glitch.
Battery failure -- may have be caused by battery not being seated all the way and locked. Happened to me except I was low altitude and was able to get it on the ground -- a 1 mm separation in the small pins contacting the battery will result in total power failure to the motors. Several posts on the forum regarding this issue. Unfortunately, some of the batteries are hard to push all the way in without extra effort. Maybe that was your issue. You should be able to tell from the flight data when you download it.

Battery failure -- may have be caused by battery not being seated all the way and locked. Happened to me except I was low altitude and was able to get it on the ground -- a 1 mm separation in the small pins contacting the battery will result in total power failure to the motors. Several posts on the forum regarding this issue. Unfortunately, some of the batteries are hard to push all the way in without extra effort. Maybe that was your issue. You should be able to tell from the flight data when you download it.
I have a complete check list that I do every time I fly. Checking the battery is the first on my list I listen for the clicks and tug on it to make sure it's in correctly. If it were that simple I would feel better not knowing why it lost power really bothers me.

Reactions: wallydobbs
I have a complete check list that I do every time I fly. Checking the battery is the first on my list I listen for the clicks and tug on it to make sure it's in correctly. If it were that simple I would feel better not knowing why it lost power really bothers me.
Yes, I have the same-- and I would have bet a 1000 bucks that mine was in and locked. That is the first thing I check when I shove the battery in. There could be some batteries that go all the way in and the lock doesn't engage every time. When I looked at mine upon landing, there was a 1mm space between the battery cap and the P3 housing-- pretty shocking when you know that you put it in and double checked it. I was fortunate to get a battery error at low altitude which gave me time to get it on the ground. Now I shove it in and see if I can back it out without gripping the lock.. No trouble since that first time, but I am very cognizant of that fault or issue everytime I put a battery in. I would think that the vibrations eventually back the battery out far enough to loose contact with the main connection tabs and that results in the total failure.

Did you get a battery error and just a total failure. Or did you get a "toilet bowl crash, where the props were still turning.

Video stopped and red disconnect message came on to my tablet. So would indicate total power failure and sd card video corrupt.
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
No useable data on the report-- was it in sight?-- did it come straight down, which would indicate total power failure. Video being corrupt indicates that it lost power. How many flights did you have on that battery and were you flying on that battery prior to the crash that brought it down to 75%?

It was in sight I was watching it I looked down to adjust the camera and all was black looked back up and was gone.I followed the GPS and found it in the field camera broken all props broken. I brought it to a local repair shop just waiting repair. My 30 total flight on the battery I made a brief fight the day before no more that a few minutes a couple of photos.

It was in sight I was watching it I looked down to adjust the camera and all was black looked back up and was gone.I followed the GPS and found it in the field camera broken all props broken. I brought it to a local repair shop just waiting repair. My 30 total flight on the battery I made a brief fight the day before no more that a few minutes a couple of photos.
If all the props were broken, sounds like the motors were running-- so maybe it wasn't battery failure. Any birds in sight that day?

Reactions: III% Streve
If all the props were broken, sounds like the motors were running-- so maybe it wasn't battery failure. Any birds in sight that day?
No birds was upside down that's why props were broken from 160 it was a long way down. Thanks for your thoughts.

No birds was upside down that's why props were broken from 160 it was a long way down. Thanks for your thoughts.
Bird strikes are always a possibility and from 500 feet away you may not see the bird, especially if it were a small Kestrel Hawk-- they are very aggressive and will go for a hit. I have run from them several times to get away.
I did fly down some partially discharged batteries at close range one day and did notice that the cell deviations were more than usual-- so from that day forward, I always start with fully charged batteries-- just to be safe--

A corrupt video does point to power failure. But does not mean power failure in flight. Only as some point while recording. It easily could have been the impact. The data can be easily recovered though.

Ok and what does that mean, that you inspect air craft air frames-- and in some way that is related to the P3 checklist published by DJI and it is 100% wrong-- ???

Or since you are an air frame inspector, that you are saying that pilots of full size aircraft don't perform checklists every time they take off??

Could you further expound on why the poster is correct but 100% wrong??
Im saying that a preflight on a real aircraft is performed prior to the initial flight of the day. The checklist is pretty long. In a UH60 it is estimated to take an hour+. After the initial flight the checklist prior to subsequent flights is only estimated to take 5 minutes. In commercial aircraft.. a 777 as an example... take over an hour for 5 people. The check prior to subsequent takeoffs is only a few minutes. ALL preflights include a check that sufficient fuel is present for the flight planned. NOT that the tanks are full.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj