Phantom 3: Great Packaging / Easy Setup!

Reaction score
Well, after reading all the stories of camera gimbals missing, bad video due to people not removing the foam on the back of the camera gimbal and horror stories of updating firmware. Let me tell you my story!

Received my Phantom 3 Professional from DJI / Advexure. (Loving the Advexure Team!) Camera Gimbal was still in place. Foam insert was in place, removed it due to the HUGE red sticker on the back of the foam that says "Remove Before Flight!". I then proceeded to update the firmware following the instructions from the manual and watched one quick video to make sure the beep patterns were understood. So, out of the box to firmware 1.8.. 15 minutes for both the copter and the controllers. Yes, before I did the updates I charged both batteries. Not counting battery charging. I took the copter out, flew it briefly and it flew like a charm. No disconnected sessions from my iPad Air. I have to say, this is so much more responsive than my old Phantom 2 and the video feed is simply amazing! It is now back on the shelf, batteries charging for tomorrow and the Camera Gimbal firmly in place.

I'm not discounting anyones issues, but seriously, this was the easiest setup I have done in years. I think I would rather do this than go through a complete installation of Windows 8 again! :)

Good luck guys and happy flying! I know I will be out enjoying my new Phantom 3 Professional this weekend! Hope to post some videos soon.

-mmccurdy

Reactions: Advexure
You got more than one battery? I think some here will be jealous.
Thanks for the great encouragement for those who are weighing up whether to get a P3 or not. Nice to know it's that easy to unpack and set up.

You got more than one battery? I think some here will be jealous.
Thanks for the great encouragement for those who are weighing up whether to get a P3 or not. Nice to know it's that easy to unpack and set up.

HAHA I see what you mean. No I only have one (1) battery. I meant the copter battery and the controller battery. The copter battery just finished charging. I'm now charging the controller back up to its full capacity. Sorry, nope, only one battery for me.. For now!!

Well, after reading all the stories of camera gimbals missing, bad video due to people not removing the foam on the back of the camera gimbal and horror stories of updating firmware. Let me tell you my story!

Received my Phantom 3 Professional from DJI / Advexure. (Loving the Advexure Team!) Camera Gimbal was still in place. Foam insert was in place, removed it due to the HUGE red sticker on the back of the foam that says "Remove Before Flight!". I then proceeded to update the firmware following the instructions from the manual and watched one quick video to make sure the beep patterns were understood. So, out of the box to firmware 1.8.. 15 minutes for both the copter and the controllers. Yes, before I did the updates I charged both batteries. Not counting battery charging. I took the copter out, flew it briefly and it flew like a charm. No disconnected sessions from my iPad Air. I have to say, this is so much more responsive than my old Phantom 2 and the video feed is simply amazing! It is now back on the shelf, batteries charging for tomorrow and the Camera Gimbal firmly in place.

I'm not discounting anyones issues, but seriously, this was the easiest setup I have done in years. I think I would rather do this than go through a complete installation of Windows 8 again! :)

Good luck guys and happy flying! I know I will be out enjoying my new Phantom 3 Professional this weekend! Hope to post some videos soon.

-mmccurdy

That's great to hear @mmccurdy. We always enjoy hearing good experiences as more often than not we only hear back when things don't operate as they should :(

Safe and happy flying and hopefully soon you'll have a few more batteries at your disposal.

Best,
Mike

Reactions: MSFlyer
Your post is very reassuring. I've been a wreck since placing the order after reading all the posts of disasters and FW failures and more. Getting mine delivered very soon and have my fingers crossed that I will have the same startup experience as you.

Your post is very reassuring. I've been a wreck since placing the order after reading all the posts of disasters and FW failures and more. Getting mine delivered very soon and have my fingers crossed that I will have the same startup experience as you.
I know what you mean. Since I got the drone I've only flown it close to home but I have taken it 500m high. I don't want to lose it this soon. So far in 4 flights it's been fantastic. No issues at all. I'm getting close to pushing the limits and/or flying over water. I might give it a few more flights to feel comfortable. The trolls have obviously scared me but I also had battery issues with my P2V that really pissed me off. When I heard about these new batteries I got excited. Hopefully they are much better.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31