Phantom 3 compass vs. phantom 4 compass

Reaction score
So we all know flying/launching the phantom 4 in/around metal it can create issues for your compass. However, what about the p3 or p2? Does it have the same compass issues as the p4? I'm asking, because I cane across the below video and they're flying, what appears to be, a p3 deep inside a metal cargo tank onboard a ship. Below are a couple of links, including a video of a p3 flying inside a metal tank:

UAVs Capable of Inspecting Ship Tanks for Signs of Corrosion

drone1 web edit 44secs.mp4

So we all know flying/launching the phantom 4 in/around metal it can create issues for your compass. However, what about the p3 or p2? Does it have the same compass issues as the p4? I'm asking, because I cane across the below video and they're flying, what appears to be, a p3 deep inside a metal cargo tank onboard a ship. Below are a couple of links, including a video of a p3 flying inside a metal tank:
All Phantoms work in a similar way including the way their compass functions.

That's clearly not the case. If you watch the video I posted, the P3 is flying in a metal container. My p4p won't do that.

What type of metal? It probably would be OK near non-ferrous metal such as Aluminum.
I know the P3 won't even take off if it detects compass interference. I've encountered that trying to start motors (not even launch) from floors of buildings I've worked in, forgetting about rebars

Ph2 allows takeoff almost in any environment. It is a lot more forgiving in regards to sensor status than Ph3. So it is possible that in Ph4 the initial checking is even more strict than in Ph3.

For the compass chip itself - I doubt it is the source of any differences (assuming there really are differences - you'd need to check both drones in the same place to get conclusive data).
Anyway, in Ph3 the compass chip is HMC5883L - you can check its spec.
Source:
P3 Compass board · mefistotelis/phantom-firmware-tools Wiki · GitHub

Did y'all watch the video I posted? That appears to be a phantom 3 flying. A phantom 4 couldn't perform in that environment. Agree?

That answers my question. I'm still trying to figure out how they were able to fly a p3 in a metal tank w/no gps (in the video I posted above).

Metal will block GPS, but this is not an issue for flying. There are drones which don't have GPS at all.

Metal will not block constant magnetic field. Try putting metal bar to a magnet - it won't block its effect. Though metal can distort the field, by adding a field from its own magnetism. But ships are not magnetised.

In the video it's quite dark, so VPS won't work as well. But barometer will work, so altitude will be maintained (though barometer accuracy indoors is a bit lower than outdoors, depending on how windy the area is).

That answers my question. I'm still trying to figure out how they were able to fly a p3 in a metal tank w/no gps (in the video I posted above).
Flying without GPS is no mystery, but you have been asking about the compass, not GPS.
You can fly your Phantom without GPS any time you want to. Just switch to atti mode and the Phantom ignores GPS data.
Or fly under a steel roof that blocks GPS satellite reception and switch nothing and your Phantom will be in atti mode.

Reactions: Numone
Like what appears to be all the protective gubbins on the AC!

IMG_1487.GIF

:)

Hi All,
I'm new here.
Could please suggest which compass value should save to flight.
Mine only over 1300+ . It's that still save ?
Thanks in advance

Could please suggest which compass value should save to flight.
Mine only over 1300+ . It's that still safe ?
If your Phantom stays pointing the same way while it's hovering and flies straight, the compass is working perfectly.
There should be no need to do anything to your compass and no need to recalibrate it.

Reactions: kzhtun

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl