Phantom 3 battery powering my laptop (HELP!)

Reaction score
I have been researching this all night and I wanted to see what you thought...

I want to use my phantom 3 batteries to power my 13" Zenbook while I am traveling in china next month (yes I know they make external laptop batteries). I am traveling light... I am only bringing my: p3, a7s, 5d3, lenses and one set of clothes, all in one small backpack, that's it! I thought it would be incredible to use my p3 batteries to power my laptop on the 13 hr flight... I could really get a lot of editing done!

The real question: The ac adapter for the laptop outputs: 19 V DC, 3.42 A, 65 W. Assuming I am amazing at soldering and such, could I directly connect the p3 battery (4s 15.2 battery) to the laptop? or do I need a 15v to 19v booster and voltage regulator? Something like this perhaps?
DC-DC 12V to 19V 24V 15V Boost Converter step up Power Module battery charger
btw - I do understand that the voltage on 4s lipos go from 13.8-16.2. Is that a problem or can the laptop deal with that? or does it only want exactly 19v?

also, I was going to get this to go from the battery to the proper sized tip for my zenbook: Charging Cable Adapter for DJI Phantom 3 2+ Battery to B6 B6AC Balance Charger

Any advice would be huge!

It depends by your notebook.. most notebook cut power regulator/charger circuit and report "not charging" or "ps error" when V goed less than 17V ... other tolerate power supply at 15V too, stopping internal battery charger. In any case you get no more than 1,5-2h (if lucky) of power juice ...

It depends by your notebook.. most notebook cut power regulator/charger circuit and report "not charging" or "ps error" when V goed less than 17V ... other tolerate power supply at 15V too, stopping internal battery charger. In any case you get no more than 1,5-2h (if lucky) of power juice ...

Thanks for the insight!!! so if I used a voltage reg and set it just under 19v, I would be good? I realize that the voltage reg will adversely effect the efficiency but the p3 is 68wh and the 13" zenbook ux303 is 50wh. I will have 3x p3 batteries with me... even if I could get one full laptop charge out of 3 batteries, it would be worth it. thoughts?

You need a DC/DC step-up module... I didn't consider you have 3 batteries, so if you connect in parallel them you get 6h of power...

I am feeling nervous here. So if we read a news next month that some tourist in China got killed by an exploding Phantom 3 battery attaching to a laptop, then we can guess it is you :p

Reactions: alokbhargava
These days most of the aircrafts provide 110 v AC outlets for each seat. I suggest to carry a regular charger along with you. It can easily be accommodated in your backpack. No point in going for an experimental set up in flight and risk others.

Also if you are traveling light, plan to use P3 tablet in place of laptop that can easily be charged on USB.

Last edited:
Yes, I would avoid this McGiver solution ... mostly becouse you risk a fault battery when using P3...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers