Phantom 3 Advanced VS Mavic Air

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a Phantom 3 Advanced which from new have only used it a handful of times. Mainly because of portability. I upgraded from the Phantom 3 Standard mainly because of the difference in range.

Love using it, but because of the size, its packed in a pretty big case & only bring it out when i plan on using it instead of using it spontaneously

Not interested in the Spark as the range on it seems pretty limited, the Mavic Pro seems to be holding value and still pretty expensive, the Mavic Air price seems to have dropped significantly and size wise looks very compact and maybe easy to carry around and use spontaneously.

So my question to you guys is, what would be the pros & cons from selling the Phantom 3 Advanced to get the Mavic Air?

My main concern is the image quality, the connection (I understand it doesn't have lightbridge) and the range.

You can buy a refurbished Mavic Pro for cheaper than a Mavic Air. Just saying.
I am from the UK, cheapest Refurbished Mavic Air I seen is about £580, cheapest Mavic Pro I seen £650 used

Would you say a Mavic Pro is a better than the Air as a all-rounder?

Mavic pro have occusyn technology which have a range of around 4 miles in good condition.

I’m also interested in camera quality between these 2 I have a p3 4k and I’m looking at selling it to get the air but I’m worried about video quality as I’m not very good at post editing.

The Mavic Airs camera is superior to the Mavic Pro, also you get a 2 miles range with the controller. I don't know what you have in mind for it, but if you need more range, go with the Pro, if you prefer better camera then the air is for you.

The Mavic Airs camera is superior to the Mavic Pro, also you get a 2 miles range with the controller. I don't know what you have in mind for it, but if you need more range, go with the Pro, if you prefer better camera then the air is for you.
I use it for when we holiday. I have been reading a lot of people having range and connection issues with the air , I’m in Australia so I’m on ce unless I can change it in the settings some how.
Have you had these issues?

I use it for when we holiday. I have been reading a lot of people having range and connection issues with the air , I’m in Australia so I’m on ce unless I can change it in the settings some how.
Have you had these issues?
If you plan on flying in the city, the range will be shorten due to wifi interference, but you should be able to reach 1 mile. I'm a coward and like keeping my drones within line of sight. If you are going to the countryside, you should be good to go up to the 2 miles advertised. I may be wrong, but it is to my understanding that all drones come prepared for FCC and CE. I do know that Australian drones are required by law to have a safety feature that isn't required elsewhere, but can't remember what it was. So if you are considering purchasing a drone, make sure it has it. Let me do a bit of research and I will let you know what it is.

Edit: safety notifications Australia’s Civil Aviation Safety Authority, which is required by federal regulators, is a Australia only feature in DJI drones. If you purchase it from elsewhere, it won't have that, which is required by Australian law.

Last edited:
So it is inbuilt in the drone not the app ?
So if I buy one from the us I won’t be restricted?
What about if I update it ?

So it is inbuilt in the drone not the app ?
So if I buy one from the us I won’t be restricted?
What about if I update it ?
Correct. You will be able to update it just fine. Just make sure you buy it from an authorized reseller, in case you need warranty service.

If you mean the firmware, then you will have to wait until you turn it on and activate it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z