Phantom 3 advanced footage

Reaction score
I recently got a Phantom 3 advanced, and was wondering if anyone had any tips to taking good photos, so far I haven't had any above average photos (you can see on omy insta @2.7k_gunner ) . I have ND filters from nd 4, ND 8, and ND 16. So I have the equipment to take stunning photos, but I don't know what to look for when taking photos. All help would be appreciated thank you.

If you take photo keep ISO as low as possible, 100 is the best, shutter speed 240 or shorter 320 ..., Raw format, Color D-Cinelike. Usually you don't need ND filters for taking photo (besides taking photo of waterfalls ...), they are necessary for taking video, to lower shutter speed. The rule is ss = 2 x fps e.g. 50 for 25 frames per second, 60 for 30fps.

ND filters reduce the amount of light, so allow you to keep the lens more open, (shutter speed 50, or 60, or 120) what result in smooth cinematic look of footage.

As mentioned above, if it's stills / photographs you're looking to improve then ND filters aren't much help, their use really is to lower shutter speed for cinematic video.
For stills you want to maximise the available light to lower ISO.
This is not specific to drone / quadcopter photography but photography in general so if you've none / limited experience in this it's worth spending your time educating yourself in photography basics.
It is a learning curve but an interesting and fun one.
Good luck and enjoy!

I recently got a Phantom 3 advanced, and was wondering if anyone had any tips to taking good photos, so far I haven't had any above average photos (you can see on omy insta @2.7k_gunner ) . I have ND filters from nd 4, ND 8, and ND 16. So I have the equipment to take stunning photos, but I don't know what to look for when taking photos. All help would be appreciated thank you.
If you are shooting stills, leave the ND filters at home. They are no help at all.
Don't worry about shooting raw or using special colour profiles.
Concentrate on lighting and composition.
Try to shoot with the sun rather than against it.
Have the sun behind the drone, lighting the subject and sky rather than shooting towards the sun or bright sky and having a dark foreground and a burnt out sky.
Try to get in close to your subject and fill the frame rather than having a picture where everything is distant and part of the background.

If you are shooting stills, leave the ND filters at home. They are no help at all.
Don't worry about shooting raw or using special colour profiles.
Concentrate on lighting and composition.
Try to shoot with the sun rather than against it.
Have the sun behind the drone, lighting the subject and sky rather than shooting towards the sun or bright sky and having a dark foreground and a burnt out sky.
Try to get in close to your subject and fill the frame rather than having a picture where everything is distant and part of the background.
Sound advice

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie