Phantom 3 4k Controller Battery Problems

Reaction score
I've had a Phantom 3 4k drone since late May, 2016. I use it regularly and have sent it on hundreds of flights. I've been having weird problems with the rechargeable battery you can't replace inside the drone's remote controller. The first instance happened in July 2016. I had fully charged the controller overnight and than packed it in the standard DJI backpack. I checked the charge with the controller's power button and then turned it off before packing it. When I arrived at a location I wanted to film about 12 hours later, I took out the controller and its battery was completely dead. I've never been able to figure out how the controller's battery discharged in this instance after being packed in the backpack, and I took it on many other flights afterwards without a problem, but this same thing happened again a few weeks ago. I packed the fully charged controller only to arrive at a location the next day and find its battery dead. I can only guess that something might have turned on the controller inside the backpack after it was packed, but there's no obvious culprit for that. Has anyone else had this problem with the controller in the DJI backpack?

As of today, I'm having a worse problem with charging the controller's battery. I've been trying to charge it for a whole day, but it won't charge past displaying 1.5 of the 4 lights that indicate a full charge. I've unplugged and reinserted the charging cable multiple times, and it looks like it is charging normally at first, but it stops charging after an hour and the lights never show a full charge. How can I fix this? Do they sell replacement controllers or controller batteries anywhere?

I'm now running a test to connect the controller to the drone to see how long the controller battery will last. The DJI app is showing that my controller battery will charge to 31%, but no more than that. Has anyone had this problem? I assume it is a sign of a weak battery at the end of its life? Where can I buy another battery? I'm disappointed this battery only lasted 6 months.

I'm now running a test to connect the controller to the drone to see how long the controller battery will last. The DJI app is showing that my controller battery will charge to 31%, but no more than that. Has anyone had this problem? I assume it is a sign of a weak battery at the end of its life? Where can I buy another battery? I'm disappointed this battery only lasted 6 months.
The battery is replaceable. May not be promoted as such, but it can be done. I'll see if I can find a link.
Tenergy Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 2600mAh Rechargeable Battery module with PCB and Bare Leads https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U7SUUM/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_YwJmybV8FMSSF

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: jeganx
My battery in my remote has been weird before. Went to charge after weeks of dormancy and no reaction to plugging in charger. Opened wifi and found it was transmitting without being on. Couple days later I plugged it in again and it charged and flew normally. It had finally depleted all the charge. This morning I just went to charge it and same thing. I basically just said **** the warranty and opened up the controller (which is more then just screws, being extra careful to disconnect the ribbon) unplugged the battery and plugged it back in a minute later. Everything seems to be functioning fine now. I will def carry the small Allen and screwdriver with my drone from now on.

The battery unfortunately is a 2S LiPo of 7.4V nominal, (2600 mAh LiPo18650 2S .. as per Phantom 3 4K - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO - DJI ) and we are all guilty of mistreating our TX batterys - even my P3S with its 1S battery. Because the power draw is low on such a battery in a Transmitter - we don't care for it like flight batterys - that is not storing fully charged. We charge it up and forget about it ... hoping that it will still be full charged weeks later.

It is replaceable and worth doing. No need to buy new controller for sake of a $5 battery !!

Nigel

The battery unfortunately is a 2S LiPo of 7.4V nominal, (2600 mAh LiPo18650 2S .. as per Phantom 3 4K - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO - DJI ) and we are all guilty of mistreating our TX batterys - even my P3S with its 1S battery. Because the power draw is low on such a battery in a Transmitter - we don't care for it like flight batterys - that is not storing fully charged. We charge it up and forget about it ... hoping that it will still be full charged weeks later.

It is replaceable and worth doing. No need to buy new controller for sake of a $5 battery !!

Nigel
The Standard has a 1S battery???

thanks. Im amazed that 3.7 volts is enough to push out as far as it does.

How much use time is everyone getting on the Standard controller? Anyone tried putting 2 of those batteries in the controller in parallel? Just curious.

How much use time is everyone getting on the Standard controller? Anyone tried putting 2 of those batteries in the controller in parallel? Just curious.
You get many uses per charged. I charge it when it gets down to like 50%, and I bet that's after three or four times out.

thanks. Im amazed that 3.7 volts is enough to push out as far as it does.

If you have a Standard .... check the label on the back of controller .... 3.7V etc.

Doesn't need much volts to provide the mW power needed ....

Think of all those Spektrum and other Fixed Wing radios out there pumping out over 2kms all day long ... not all RC Tx's have 8 cell / 12V packs ... many today are actually 1S or 2S ...

Nigel

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I just came across your post after searching the for the Phantom 3 Controller battery, I have the 2600 mAh LiPo18650 2S battery that is no longer charging and realize I cannot get a replacement from DJI.
Was wondering if you can provide more instructions or links to get replacement batteries for the Controller ?
I came across this battery for the controller, this is the one I need but its way to expensive;

Thanks

I had a similar issue. I found that one cell of the 2S 6000mah pack had gone completely dead, and the safety circuit would not allow the pack to charge. I found a replacement that is slightly smaller, 4000mah, , it has the onboard balancing and battery protection so you can charge with the DJI charger, and it fits in the battery tray. The pack is from Venom (VPW-25003), and it's designed to be a replacement for the Spektrum DX8/9 xmtr. $40. You will have to cut the plug off the old batt and solder to the new one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers