Phantom 2 Vision Plus with ipad

varmint said:
The issue with resolution on iOS is that the app is an iPhone app, and NOT designed for retina displays, much less iPad retina displays. It's not a native iPad app; It's simply being blown up from a low resolution phone app when used on the iPad.

On Android, the app scales to make use of all available resolution, which is why it's vastly better on that platform. DJI apparently cant't do anything consistently.

I'm well aware of that. Reason for posting was to show those who may be deciding on best device for FPV use to be able to make an informed decision.

I originally bought the ipad mini retina display solely for use with ground station, which I have not got yet.

I also have a samsung galaxy tab3 8" which I havent tried yet so maybe some people have tried that to see if it works any better than the ipad mini ?

Interesting the differences you got with your 3 screenshots !

:)

wattsn said:
I'm well aware of that. Reason for posting was to show those who may be deciding on best device for FPV use to be able to make an informed decision.

Sorry, I was actually trying to help out Pyro with his question. The fact that you know how to take screenshots on iOS excludes you from crowd I was addressing :)

varmint said:
wattsn said:

Sorry, I was actually trying to help out Pyro with his question. The fact that you know how to take screenshots on iOS excludes you from crowd I was addressing :)

Apologies :oops: Thanks for the clarification.

pyrophantom said:
I originally bought the ipad mini retina display solely for use with ground station, which I have not got yet.

I also have a samsung galaxy tab3 8" which I havent tried yet so maybe some people have tried that to see if it works any better than the ipad mini ?

Tab3 8" I would expect to be almost identical to my Note 8.0 After all, the S-Pen in the Note 8 is about the only difference :)

varmint said:
wattsn said:

Thanks for that m8, yes its a real bummer and for me the weakest point of the DJI setup that they really made it for a smartphone screen which is too small and crap in daylight as are all device screens I have tried of any size over 5". Will try my tab3 8" again but not holding out much hope on it being any good so surprised that the Note is OK at larger size

:D

wattsn said:
pyrophantom said:

Tab3 8" I would expect to be almost identical to my Note 8.0 After all, the S-Pen in the Note 8 is about the only difference :)

And you find your note 8 acceptable resolution ???

pyrophantom said:
wattsn said:
pyrophantom said:

And you find your note 8 acceptable resolution ???

I'd like better but it's better than the ipad.

Yeah we need a resolution booster app which will keep the same definition at larger screen formats lol

:lol:

But I wonder if it will jut scale it up and therefore look blocky. I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 2014 as well with 2560x1600 res screen so may give that a try and see what it looks like :)

wattsn said:
But I wonder if it will jut scale it up and therefore look blocky. I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 2014 as well with 2560x1600 res screen so may give that a try and see what it looks like :)

The video itself will never be any higher than the FPV setting no matter what you use, but yes, all the interface components and symbology will be high-res. I've got both Android and iOS devices and can unequivocally say that the DJI stuff is far superior on Android because of the lack of retina or iPad support.

varmint said:
pyrophantom said:
Yeah we need a resolution booster app...

I got your resolution booster right here: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-8- ... laxy+Tab+S

The AMOLED screen is apparently even visible in direct sunlight: http://www.centriotimes.com/2014/06/sam ... nches.html

Dammit you got me all excited when first read this lol.....I was hoping it was going to be a magic $4 app or something !! The screen resolution is the same as nexus 7 or ipad retina so guessing it will not scale up any differently. I was very dissapointed in the ipad retina screen to be honest, it was the worst of the devices I have tried.

:|

varmint said:
wattsn said:

The video itself will never be any higher than the FPV setting no matter what you use, but yes, all the interface components and symbology will be high-res. I've got both Android and iOS devices and can unequivocally say that the DJI stuff is far superior on Android because of the lack of retina or iPad support.

Thats true enough, deffo better on android !....which is strange because I remember at launch they were really only talking about iphone users !

:roll:

Very useful! Unfortunately I bought a Ipad mini retina for the bigger display (I was using a Galaxy s4) and had been very happy until I read the posts and looked at the comparison screenshots.... now I'm not sure what to think...... too late to return it.

Thanks... :oops:

Just got my 8.4" Galaxy Tab S with AMOLED screen, and all I can say is - wow :shock:

Easily readable in daylight when compared my iPad and iPhone 5 which are both essentially useless outdoors. When I say "easily", I don't mean that it's like a miracle or anything, but you can definitely read everything and see detail, unlike the aforementioned iOS devices, or any of my previous Android devices.

Here's a direct-comparison to the DJI Vision app on both an iPad Air and the Galaxy S 8.4. Note that I had to compress the hell out of the Tab's screenshot, because the resolution is an insane 2560x1600 (the same as my desktop's display in an 8.4" screen).

Note how all the symbology is properly scaled, unlike DJI's horrible iOS version. In addition, there's graphic corruption along the top of the app where their graphics are corrupting the iPad's system status symbology.

Anyway, for anyone interested: Galaxy Tab S: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-8- ... sung+tab+s

Mount: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D4A ... UTF8&psc=1 (toss the dashboard suction cup and use everything else). Mounts directly on the stock TX ball.

Attachments

• mount1.jpg
    mount1.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 1,067
  • mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 1,046
  • mount3.jpg
    mount3.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 1,116
  • GalaxyS.jpg
    GalaxyS.jpg