Phantom 2 Vision+ Flyaway

Re: To everyone who has lost a Phantom, you may get it back

Great to hear and thanks for posting. We need more good stories like yours. Well done mate!

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Great to hear and thanks for posting. We need more good stories like yours. Well done mate!

My native language is not English. My English teacher once told me that "more good" is wrong, you should use "BETTER"

English is all about context.

More good stories is correct. More modifies the noun "stories".

When more modifies the adjective "good", it is incorrect.

Example: My Phantom 2 is more good than your Phantom FC40. In this case, "better" is the more good choice!

I have had my phantom 2 vision plus for about 4 weeks now, and have put in about 20 hours flying (and more in the simulator).

As I am awaiting a new ribbon cable for my camera/gimbal after an unfortunate drift-into-tree crash after losing GPS lock (I was concentrating on keeping my son's flying in frame, not flying the bird -- my mistake there), Ive had time to sit down and read about fly-aways. I didn't want to join any user forums until I had a chance to fly the thing, and enjoy it (which I have, immensely), as reading forums for products can be a scary and I didn't want to start off by reading about all the problems. Videos and manuals to learn the ropes, along with flying manual in the sim, development of preflight checklist, and patient practice with real flying.

As I got more familiar with things, I switched to NAS-M mode. All my skill building was so I would be able to fly a canyon after 2 weeks with the bird. All was a success - and other than almost running the thing outa juice while sitting gawking directly over a waterfall (got the warning, took control back and quickly landed), it was a great time, no damage, and nobody died ;-).

After that, it was on to distance testing. It was in the second distance test that I seemed to lose flight control at my outer limit (1600 ft !). The bird was out of sight, but the radar indication was that whenever I pushed forward on the stick, the radar would flop around. What the heck ? I threw it into home lock mode and dragged it more of the way back to me - I didn't trust RTH mode, as the bird needs to be able to point to fly home, and it wasn't doing that (at least my logic was that it needed to be able to point). Once I took control back, I descended and tested controls - all were fine. no further problem noted.

I had 2 batteries left, so I decided to wring the thing out with some aggressive maneuvering close-in, and 25 feet up. It started happening again - forward stick gives me left yaw only. Home-lock again, dragged it back (spinning), and landed it.

Took it home and hooked it up to the assistant, and immediately noticed something - the controls weren't calibrated. I had calibrated them, but only initially when the bird was in phantom mode. I switched back to phantom mode for initial testing, and the stick indicators were againe centered in the assistant software. I took it out and flew 3 batteries, with no issues, so now felt ok going back into NAS-M mode, and calibrated the controls. No similar issues since.

The moral of the story, and the reason Im posting is that ive never seen this mentioned in any flyaway prevention treatments.

When you switch to NAS-M, calibrate the controls fresh ! Might also do an IMU calibration for kicks, since ur there, and check everything else out.

I can imagine what may have happened if the calibration was further off, or if the throttle calibration was way off due to NAS-M switch without a recal.

Thanks for all the considered input on this thread. Flyaways scare the heck outa me. I really want to do FPV at a distance, and understand the risks and 'fail-safes'. The thought of losing my aircraft doesn't bother me as much as the possibility of where this thing could come down at a high rate of speed. Its not only enough to make me not fly FPV, but it has me considering not flying the thing at all around urban areas. My adrenalin certainly was pumping for all 4 of the distance tests I did, and the elevated risk factors accepted in going out of control range and re-acquiring were the nerve-wracking parts.

Speaking of which, on a couple of the flights I had FPV video freeze (home-lock and fail-safe got me home). I cleared the freeze by repowering the phone (?) - I don't think I powered off the bird before resetting the phone, although it was on the ground. It could be the phone perhaps, but Im more inclined to think that continued loss of sig, and reaquisition might introduce some issues on the fringes of signal integrity as seen by the receiver - if the control channel has any issue like that, then its a real scary thing (as if losing video while FPV isn't scary enough).

In any case, love flying the thing, but the novelty f flying around open fields, making the sun rise in the west and all that is wearing off - my original dream was FPV at distance - but in an urban setting, you could hurt someone. Sooner or later these things aren't new anymore, and will start to fail (motors perhaps). That leaves me with wilderness flying in FPV, more tame pursuits closer to home.

What these things need is an independently controlled chute pack. That would alleviate /most/ concerns of flying urban.

Sure there is always risk in flight - same as it ever was. As a few posters presented, all flying is mitigation of as much risk as possible.

Thanks again, and I hope my NAS-M tip helps someone out.

One thing I forgot.

I am going to do the GPS shielding mod. However, it will cause more heat buildup in the GPS unit, at least, and less of a cavern to disperse heat in the rest of the bird.

More heat and temperature warming/cooling worry me a bit. I spose the best thing to do would be to get the primary components (like the GPS chip(s)) and spec them out and see what max temp is, and if heat variance might destabilize the GPS (or the rest of the components).

In that vein, it would be interesting to see how many of these flyaway incidents were on shield-modded aircraft, and how many not. I don't think you are giving up one fly-away reason in exchange for another, but it could be...

Just a thought...

djczing said:
One thing I forgot.

I am going to do the GPS shielding mod. However, it will cause more heat buildup in the GPS unit, at least, and less of a cavern to disperse heat in the rest of the bird.

More heat and temperature warming/cooling worry me a bit. I spose the best thing to do would be to get the primary components (like the GPS chip(s)) and spec them out and see what max temp is, and if heat variance might destabilize the GPS (or the rest of the components).

In that vein, it would be interesting to see how many of these flyaway incidents were on shield-modded aircraft, and how many not. I don't think you are giving up one fly-away reason in exchange for another, but it could be...

Just a thought...

I wouldn't worry too much about the heat as long as you didn't cover up the vents in the process..

the movement through the air and the downforce will be ventilation enough

Tbenst, thanks for your information and advice. One guestionn though, why do you advice against firmware 3.o and 3.2 update ?? and do you advice that with respect to the ph 2, ph2 v and/or ph 2v+ ??
Thanks in advance for your reply,
Kind regards,
Frans

I had an interesting flyaway this weekend. Home lock worked and it came back after I engaged failsafe RTH twice.

I was practicing at about 50 ft in course lock and homelock mode rotating the V2+ with latest firmware updates as I flew along the course route..
I did this a few times to practice filming at a particular position and flying to another postion.
This was all done with it in record mode, with a GPS count of 6-7.. and I was aware the it did drop 1 gps when in record mode.

As it was rotating round and round but moving in a straight line, it went left of me and I could not control it other then thrust.. it wanted to go left.. and kept going as I tried to stay calm to get control back. I moved from course lock to home.
Nothing, tried course lock again, did not follow grid lines set, then I did ATTI mode..
By the time I had itin ATTI mode it was at least .5- .75 miles away, wind was at 15-20 spordic. I just kept it climbing higher and higher to keep a sight of it. Then I tried RTH, and it didn't seem to work..
Then I tried GPS Mode again, hoping it would regain 6 or more GPS lock, tried homelock mode and pulled the stick back, and it FINALLY started to come back..and made it back to home position.

Phew, talk about adrenaline pumping action! The footage is awesome (see if I can upload it soon).
Now that I think of it, I should have stopped RECORD mode right away!

So long story short, I did the gps shielding mod that night and well attempt to repeat what I was doing before the flyaway...

Do you think it was the compass gone awry because I was spinning it 360 in courselock/homelock mode? And confusing it when the GPS dropped into atti mode due to low GPS coverage?

I will now be using satpredictor and will check for number of US Satellites above me whenever I fly..

yali said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:

My native language is not English. My English teacher once told me that "more good" is wrong, you should use "BETTER"

Hehe... I learned not to correct people in my non-native tongue a while back. A person said "le brasero" (that's the masculine pronoun used with a woman's bra) and I corrected him suggesting he use the feminine "la brasero".

Well turns out a woman's bra is masculine in french. Who could have seen that coming? A man's beard is considered feminine. So I gave up french.

In general you are right - don't use the word "more" to modify the word "good". Your teacher probably said "use Good, Better, Best not Good, more good, most good.

But that's not what he's doing. In the case above he's saying he likes "good stories" and would like to see more of them. More modifies stories. So his usage is totally correct.

If he said "I would like to see better stories" that would also be grammatically correct but it would totally change the meaning. He would be saying he doesn't like the stories so far.

In English, modifiers can apply to the words they follow or words that come later in the sentence. English is not well structured and it's very tricky. But excellent attempt!

nexus said:
Lost mine the other day, never came home. And I had all the software updates and did the GPS calibration without error and waited for the home position lock lights.

It's sucks, but going by your screen shot, you were not too far from the Phantom. I have had bees and birds almost knock mines out of the sky before, but never had it run away on me, even using an app called V+ booster that really did work.

Sorry for your loss, I feel ya pain.
wow man, that sucks!

did you have a GPS tracker on it?

I always try to fly over trees just in case it does crash down, it'll be a softer landing and with the Tagg GPS tracker, I can go hunt it down, as long as its not at the bottom of a lake

NRL777 said:
I had an interesting flyaway this weekend. Home lock worked and it came back after I engaged failsafe RTH twice.

I was practicing at about 50 ft in course lock and homelock mode rotating the V2+ with latest firmware updates as I flew along the course route..
I did this a few times to practice filming at a particular position and flying to another postion.
This was all done with it in record mode, with a GPS count of 6-7.. and I was aware the it did drop 1 gps when in record mode.

As it was rotating round and round but moving in a straight line, it went left of me and I could not control it other then thrust.. it wanted to go left.. and kept going as I tried to stay calm to get control back. I moved from course lock to home.
Nothing, tried course lock again, did not follow grid lines set, then I did ATTI mode..
By the time I had itin ATTI mode it was at least .5- .75 miles away, wind was at 15-20 spordic. I just kept it climbing higher and higher to keep a sight of it. Then I tried RTH, and it didn't seem to work..
Then I tried GPS Mode again, hoping it would regain 6 or more GPS lock, tried homelock mode and pulled the stick back, and it FINALLY started to come back..and made it back to home position.

Phew, talk about adrenaline pumping action! The footage is awesome (see if I can upload it soon).
Now that I think of it, I should have stopped RECORD mode right away!

So long story short, I did the gps shielding mod that night and well attempt to repeat what I was doing before the flyaway...

Do you think it was the compass gone awry because I was spinning it 360 in courselock/homelock mode? And confusing it when the GPS dropped into atti mode due to low GPS coverage?

I will now be using satpredictor and will check for number of US Satellites above me whenever I fly..
Are you SURE your S1 and S2 switches are 100% reliable?
Use the RC Assistant to verify both switches reliably indicate in all 3 positions. Move the switches slowly and fast - it shouldn't make a difference.
Typical failure is the switch will electrically show it is in the Center position when it's physically in either the Up or Down position.

Now think of the implication of this failure when flying.....!

I've had to replace BOTH switches in my P2V+ Transmitter.
It is my personal observation and opinion that many of these switches are problematic and it's worth thoroughly checking them out.

Hehe mine got attacked by bee's once as well. It was quite amazing.. They reaaally didn't like it. The swarm followed it around for a while.
Most annoying part was cleaning all the bee guts/blood off EVERYTHING :(

nexus said:
Lost mine the other day, never came home. And I had all the software updates and did the GPS calibration without error and waited for the home position lock lights.

It's sucks, but going by your screen shot, you were not too far from the Phantom. I have had bees and birds almost knock mines out of the sky before, but never had it run away on me, even using an app called V+ booster that really did work.

Sorry for your loss, I feel ya pain.

Whats this 'v booster' app do? You have mentioned it in a few threads.. cant find anything with that name on playstore?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4