Phantom 2 Vision+ Flyaway

the failsafe has two options.. all I can say to it is that I know mine is set to "return AND land".. (regardless of phantom or naza mode)

had you tested failsafe before and had it RTH and land? (that'd answer that question) -- point being, I can totally see people losing their drone's with a failsafe set to only "land" -- some people seem to like it but I guess they only fly in their local parks... I fly over water, trees, and everything else.. and if I lose control it better had NOT land as a response.. I lost a couple AR Drone 2.0's with the mirumod because it is fixed to just "land" in that situation..

hopefully gunslinger can help you look around..

Jayson Hanes said:
the failsafe has two options.. all I can say to it is that I know mine is set to "return AND land".. (regardless of phantom or naza mode)

had you tested failsafe before and had it RTH and land? (that'd answer that question) -- point being, I can totally see people losing their drone's with a failsafe set to only "land" -- some people seem to like it but I guess they only fly in their local parks... I fly over water, trees, and everything else.. and if I lose control it better had NOT land as a response.. I lost a couple AR Drone 2.0's with the mirumod because it is fixed to just "land" in that situation..

hopefully gunslinger can help you look around..

I tested the failsafe in Phantom mode by flying out of the TX range & it returned home. I didn't test it after switching to Naza mode so not sure tbh. Good suggestion though, I'll continue to do a thorough search around where it was last spotted.

My pre-ordered P2V+ still hasn't shown up, but now I'm wondering if I should be concerned about the potential of flyaways...

Wondering if anyone has tried one of these: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=109

Seems like it might be a good alternative in areas that have spotty cellular service? I saw it mentioned in another forum, but no-one had confirmed whether they had tried it.

I've noticed lately with my PV2+ I'll let it sit a while, it'll do the flashing green, I'll let it sit a little bit more, then I take off and it starts blinking yellow again and then goes to all green. Very odd, my PV2 never, ever turned yellow while flying.

I just updated the first post with advice for avoiding / dealing with flyaways. Please let me know if you have additional suggestions & I'll add them.

tbenst said:
****EDIT****
As this thread is getting some attention, I thought I'd compile the best tips here at the top for avoiding a flyaway & what to do when it happens.

Before flying:
- Buy a GPS tracker & attach it. $100 today could save you $1300 tomorrow!
- Calibrate your compass whenever you fly in a new area, after an update, or after a few flights
- Make sure you have GPS lock before taking off (only green lights should be blinking)
- Make sure the transmitter antenna is perpendicular to the ground and the wifi extender is appropriately angled
- Be aware that urban environments have more RF interference, and increase the likelihood of a flyaway
- Avoid firmware 3.0 and 3.2 for now if possible
- Put your controller in Naza mode.
- Calibrating your IMU every once and a while might help
This will give you a better chance of recovering from a flyaway

On takeoff:
- Did you see a rapidly flashing green light? This indicates that your home position was successfully marked
- Hover for 15-30 seconds after taking off. Is your phantom flying in circles? This may indicate that your compass needs to be calibrated or nearby electromagnetic interference
- If your phantom ever seems to behave oddly, feel less responsive, or start moving without input, LAND IMMEDIATELY.

If your phantom starts flying away ignoring your input, try these steps, only progressing if no success:
1. Immediately switch from GPS to Attitude mode by putting S1 in the middle position (Naza mode)
2. Initiate the Failsafe by putting S1 in the down position (Naza mode)
3. Send the CSC to kill the motors. Trust me, you'd rather have a crash landing than a lost phantom.

You should try Attitude mode before failsafe, as several people including myself have had no luck with failsafe even with a good satellite connection. If the failsafe does not work, kill the motors before your Tx goes out of range. It is unlikely you will be able to search several square miles and find your phantom when it goes in a changing direction at full throttle.

Finally, here's what DJI advises about avoiding flyaways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bxjL7wFyb8.

Thanks to jwuman, Flighttime, tizzl10 and DrJoe for contributing advice.

I've had my Phantom 2 Vision+ for a couple days now and this is not my first quadcopter. On my third flight today, I experienced a flyaway in GPS Attid. mode with IOC set to off. About 10 min into the flight, the phantom veered off towards the takeoff location while retaining a video connection. I was able to regain control by switching to Attid. mode and then toggling back to GPS Attid. A few minutes later, the phantom started veering back to the takeoff location again. Initially I was able to stabilize it by throttling in the opposite direction, but I was soon overpowered and it started accelerating away. I tried switching to home lock & holding back to no avail. I then moved S2 to failsafe. It did NOT return to home. Finally, I turned off the controller and watched helplessly as it kept flying until I lost vision. The picture below is a screenshot of the final view.

I had 11 satellites and wind was 5-10mph (Interestingly, the phantom accelerated away TOWARDS the wind.) When I looked at Find my Phantom, the app had the home position as its current location. Obviously, it wasn't there.

So why did this happen?? I have no idea. Here are a couple thoughts:
- I updated the firmware last night, and maybe this played a role (although I had no problems until the 3rd flight of the day)
- Maybe the GPS location reading suddenly "teleported" and the quadcopter tried to "fix" its positioning
- There are 2.4GHz wifi networks around, although I flew here earlier with no issues & I believe the transmitter operates on 5.8GHz

I'm really at a loss for what to do. I filed a police report so hopefully someone will turn it in so I can post footage showing what happened.

glad I could help out somewhat. there is no feeling in the world than losing sight of your phantom, switching to RTH and hearing those rotors chopping the wind coming back home. there is no way in the world I would still have my quad without it..lol. then again, if GPS/FPV wasn't available now I wouldn't attempt to fly out line of site and within a few hundred yards. if I had, I would have lost my vision and vision+ long ago. I honestly think the majority of these flyways are people not locking home position being too anxious to get in the air or not realizing they haven't locked home position. Hell, I have done it more than a few times without realizing I haven't locked it in and taken off only to notice afterwards at which point I land and make sure I have my satellites locked. Always lock your sats! very important for you new people! if you don't, you are in for a bad day! Matter of fact, DJI should implement that in the firmware.. if you have your controller on GPS mode, do not allow launch without atleast 6 satellites locked.

Fly aways seem to be directly linked to satellite communication. I've set my S1 to GPS, ATTITUDE then MANUAL. If it starts flying away, I'm switching to manual ( it won't be pretty ;) ) Fail safe/RTH is still trying to use satellites, that's why it doesn't rescue your bird.

My flyaway today happened when I already tried flicking S1 to make sure the GPS was set to come back.. The first time I tried it I was about 100 feet up and 150 feet away and I could see it, I flicked S1 down and it came right exactly above me and started a descend. Once I saw that I flicked it back up and was on my way to flying around and just doing figure 8's.. Well as I got a little farther away, It was in the sun and I was looking at my screen and it lost connection and never said Returning to home, since I couldnt locate it in the sun I just kept looking at my screen and I flicked S1 down and waited, well the screen came back on and I saw the distance going into the 1,000's and I couldnt believe it! So I turned the remote off and waited and it never showed up.. So then went back to the app and tried to locate it and thats where it said it was over a mile away. but it wasnt there.

midwestjeff said:
My flyaway today happened when I already tried flicking S1 to make sure the GPS was set to come back.. The first time I tried it I was about 100 feet up and 150 feet away and I could see it, I flicked S1 down and it came right exactly above me and started a descend. Once I saw that I flicked it back up and was on my way to flying around and just doing figure 8's.. Well as I got a little farther away, It was in the sun and I was looking at my screen and it lost connection and never said Returning to home, since I couldnt locate it in the sun I just kept looking at my screen and I flicked S1 down and waited, well the screen came back on and I saw the distance going into the 1,000's and I couldnt believe it! So I turned the remote off and waited and it never showed up.. So then went back to the app and tried to locate it and thats where it said it was over a mile away. but it wasnt there.

Sorry to hear, hope you find it, did you have your name and contact info on it?,,,,i have been seeing alot of this lately,,,very troubling,,,,,good luck finding it,,,,

DrJoe said:
I am absolutely tickled with my P2V+, but...
This flyaway business has me freaked. I've probably spent 40 hours or more reading and watching everything I can to learn how to mitigate the risks of a flyaway.

While there is no doubt some owners can blame themselves, there is very little doubt remaining that the Phantom is flawed in some way.

I've come to some basic "flyaway" prevention solutions:
1. It might happen anyway.
2. Forget firmware version 3.0 & 3.2 for now. Fly 1.08.
3. Open your Phantom and check all electrical connections. Chinese quality control/worker having a bad day is possible.
4. Repeat #3 when ever you get a "hard" landing or bump.
5. Can't hurt to do an Advanced Calibration every once in a while.
6. Calibrate compass every time location is changed.
7. RF interference is a *****. You never know what else could be jamming your signal (see #1).
8. Check home point status, Satellite #'s, and switches BEFORE lift off.
9. At the first sign of trouble, land immediately (half these stories start out with "I noticed something odd, but...").
8. Blow the coin and buy a GPS tracker as insurance... so mad at myself for not pulling the trigger on this already!

I'm going to be pissed if my bird flies away, but not flying it isn't an option either. There are so many people that have flown so many hours in so many different places without a flyaway. Hopefully, I'll remain one of the lucky ones.

****EDIT: Just pulled the trigger on the GPS unit thanks to SRandall25:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089C ... UTF8&psc=1

Lots of terrible reviews for it. What say you?

The only part of the review I can do so far is the shipping review, and that sucks. Its not here yet! Will keep all posted.

I do hope the previous posters get their Phantoms back. This is my first post on this forum and sadly its about a problem. I have only owned a Vision plus for a week now and have obsessively adhered to the pre-flight checks. I calibrate the compass every time and ensure that S1 and S2 are in the up position. I always wait for satellite lock too. Today on my second consecutive flight in a meadow far from Wi-fi, about 10mins in and only about 20 meters away from me I very suddenly lost control. The Phantom veered from side with myself desperately trying to stop it flying away by using opposite lock to its direction of flight. Hovering was not possible at all. After about 30 secs of craziness it crashed to the ground in front of me with such force that the battery flew out which is amazing considering how hard it is for me to remove the battery at the end of a flight. Incredibly this was all that happened to it but unfortunately it meant that I lost the footage.
I am using the 3.0 firmware but have been since day one and this is the first strange behavior I have encountered.
After a few checks I started it up again and it flew perfectly.
My level of confidence in the machine was soaring, much like it. However its come crashing back to earth, much like it.

Are there any commonalities to these F-A events?

Such as :

was the F-A heading maintained (from time of loss of control) or changed, veer, wander, or 'bee-line'?
Same for speed and altitude.

Was the F-A in a direction, from you, of a field or place you have flown recently or ever?

I'm sure there's more to be considered.

R. William

midwestjeff: I feel your pain. If it was in an urban area, I would suggest putting up Lost signs with a $100 reward. Both of our flyaways sound GPS related.

SimonEagle: sorry to hear that as well. Sounds like your problem may have been caused by a malfunctioning gyroscope or accelerometer, doesn't sound like GPS to me.

I would dutifully pay for my replacement with no complaints if it were a pilot error, but that's not the case. I have filed a purchase protection claim with my credit card & am also communicating with DJI to negotiate a replacement. Not sure if either will work, but worth trying!

N017RW said:
Are there any commonalities to these F-A events?

Such as :

was the F-A heading maintained (from time of loss of control) or changed, veer, wander, or 'bee-line'?
Same for speed and altitude.

Was the F-A in a direction, from you, of a field or place you have flown recently or ever?

I'm sure there's more to be considered.

R. William

No, the heading reversed & changed at least once more. Altitude was maintained as far as I saw, but another eye witness noted that it started descending somewhat rapidly as it veered into the distance.

On Rc groups forums there's been a thread going on for months about naza flyaways. There's no rhyme or reason everyone's a expert on how to stop it , control it , same questions asked.. Did you calibrate , switch to manuel etc. yes guys have also switched to Manuel and it still took off.
My f450 one day decided to flip over and try to drill itself into the ground from a 10' hover for no reason. After that it's been flying fine for over a year.
Everyone's an expert till it happens to you. **** happens , who knows . Did you calibrate ? Maybe put it on your head and spin around three times , then jump up and down twice :D

I don't recall any accounts of flyaways under phantom mode, then again I've only looked at recent posts in the Vision+ section only

I called the place here to buy the PV2+ $2500.00, I asked about them flying away, he said it is 100% a user problem.

When you deal with this attitude there's little room for understanding or come back, this is not good or perhaps they are right and that leaves all the flyaways with no hope really.

I've been perfectly happy so far with this PV2, a lot have said that till they aren't. All these threads and posts are now officially scaring me to fly it now.

If the wind is 15 mph on the ground it is much faster higher up! At 400 feet it could be much higher, 60 + mph. the Phantom can not keep up and will be lost to the wind. This is called Operator Error not Phantom Flyaway.

DrJoe said:
I am absolutely tickled with my P2V+, but...
This flyaway business has me freaked. I've probably spent 40 hours or more reading and watching everything I can to learn how to mitigate the risks of a flyaway.

****EDIT: Just pulled the trigger on the GPS unit thanks to SRandall25:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089C ... UTF8&psc=1

DrJoe, for your GPS tracker, what monthly cellular service plan did you decide on and how much does it cost? How are you going to mount it to your bird?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj