Phantom 2 Vision Destroyed on First Flight

Reaction score
- Final Edit: DJI did confirm via email that there is a bug in the battery. They approved return via email to me which I forwarded to the retailer, Koozam. I returned the defective and damaged product and was notified that my money had been returned by way of credit to my card the next morning.

Koozam, Inc. was very responsive to all emails and never ignored any of them. The most concerning aspect of this incident aside from the potential liability claims, was having to rely upon DJI to respond. In the end, DJI stood behind the product as did the retailer and I have to say that it was handled appropriately.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've been flying a Phantom 1 for a few months and hundreds of incident free flights. No problems ever.

I took off on my maiden voyage with the Phantom 2 today and about 10 minutes into the flight and at about 60 feet in the air above asphalt, for no reason at all that I can determine, the Phantom just stopped running. No motors no lights no nothing. Obviously once it hit the asphalt, it was destroyed.

The battery was at 47% when this occurred and although the battery frame is broken, the lights still show half full.

Pictures are posted here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 724&type=3

I'd say be careful, but I'm not sure what could possibly be done to avoid this type of occurrence. I guess after seeing that this has happened to others, I would like to know if anyone knows how DJI has responded to this type of incident.

Be careful out there gang.........

Terry

Here's an expansion from my explanation later in the thread"

"Here's what I recall:

I did all of the firmware updates. Prior to doing the updates, all seemed to work fine. I powered it up, started the motors before installing props and checked the camera to make sure it all worked before doing any updates and assembly. I then logged in and did the firmware updates. After the update, I got an invalid battery error on both of my batteries. Once that came up, the motors would not even start.

I then re-installed the firmware updates. After that, the errors went away.

I then went into an open area and calibrated the compass, started the aircraft and flew. The aircraft flew perfectly for about 10 minutes. I was watching the battery on my Nexus 7 and it was at 52% when I decided to bring it back. As it was descending, I stopped to let it hover and the battery was 47%. Again, descended and suddenly the aircraft began to oscillate badly and then just stopped running completely and fell to the ground like a rock. The battery frame is damaged but it still shows two lights when tested.

I honestly don't recall if the lights went off with the motor as I went into emergency mode with the remote and tried to regain some control. I remember no response at all and that's about it so I assume(d) the lights went out as well but it was hard to tell as it was not directly overhead and I was not looking at the lights directly.

By looking at the damaged aircraft, it appears that it crashed on it's top. In other words, it flipped over as it fell and crashed upside down.

I was not recording video at the time, only looking at my nexus through the camera.

I have not yet taken pictures of the aircraft and battery yet but I will.

Yes, it is insured but this is not an insurance issue in my opinion. This is a defective product issue I think...particularly when you see other identical or near identical cases.

Thanks for listening."

Feel sorry for your loss.

Could your provide more info regarding the crash?

Did you get any warning message on your phone during the flight? Any LED warning?

Did all motors stop and LED under the arm light off when it was falling? After the crash to the ground, was the system still powered?

How many percent of the battery left after the crash?

Where did you buy, and your dealer name?

Pix of the wrecked craft??? How about the on-board video? What can you ascertain from that? Did the post-mortem on the craft itself reveal anything??? Lastly, had you performed all recommended firmware updates prior to the flight??

PF

I would like know as well if you performed any of the firmware updates? Pictures always help. Anything in the environment that could cause any signal loss or disruption with the PV? With these type of incidents DJI has to rule out the real ones from the ones with pilot error. Could be a bad battery. Battery could have shut off and maybe went into low-voltage protection. Have you contacted DJI or your dealer?

Plan A- Get a replacement or refund.

Plan B - Worst comes to worst,have your dealer/DJI replace the bad battery (but in doing so that would prove the crash was not your fault), buy a new shell, see if the other components are good, and you should be good to go if your not too disheartened from the crash.

Here's what I recall:

I did all of the firmware updates. Prior to doing the updates, all seemed to work fine. I powered it up, started the motors before installing props and checked the camera to make sure it all worked before doing any updates and assembly. I then logged in and did the firmware updates. After the update, I got an invalid battery error on both of my batteries. Once that came up, the motors would not even start.

I then re-installed the firmware updates. After that, the errors went away.

I then went into an open area and calibrated the compass, started the aircraft and flew. The aircraft flew perfectly for about 10 minutes. I was watching the battery on my Nexus 7 and it was at 52% when I decided to bring it back. As it was descending, I stopped to let it hover and the battery was 47%. Again, descended and suddenly the aircraft began to oscillate badly and then just stopped running completely and fell to the ground like a rock. The battery frame is damaged but it still shows two lights when tested.

I honestly don't recall if the lights went off with the motor as I went into emergency mode with the remote and tried to regain some control. I remember no response at all and that's about it so I assume(d) the lights went out as well but it was hard to tell as it was not directly overhead and I was not looking at the lights directly.

By looking at the damaged aircraft, it appears that it crashed on it's top. In other words, it flipped over as it fell and crashed upside down.

I was not recording video at the time, only looking at my nexus through the camera.

I have not yet taken pictures of the aircraft and battery yet but I will.

Yes, it is insured but this is not an insurance issue in my opinion. This is a defective product issue I think...particularly when you see other identical or near identical cases.

Thanks for listening.

Did you update the Tx as well? You have to open it up an connect a micro usb cable to
Update it... Did you do this?

James Cole said:
Did you update the Tx as well? You have to open it up an connect a micro usb cable to

UAVInsurance said:
Pull_Up said:
Did you also do the transmitter update which involves opening it up and plugging a USB cable to the internal circuit board?
Yes

UAVInsurance said:
Here's what I recall:

I did all of the firmware updates.

I think we must realize now that this is NOT just an issue that can occur without the proper updates.

We, It sounds like you did everything possible and proper before flying. I just built a quad around a DJI Flamewheel F450 frame with some souped up motors (1100kv) and ESC's (30A) and it's giving me fits. It could be my fault...I'm still struggling to understand the settings on the low battery alert(s) and either I've got the entries far too conservative or this setup is so power-hungry that a 3S 2200 Phantom battery lasts only about 4 minutes.

Getting these things wrung out and into reliable, predictable flying condition is no small feat...and the Vision is a highly complicated machine by comparison with what I just threw together today between breakfast and Thanksgiving dinner.

PF

whitewatersalvo said:
James Cole said:

UAVInsurance said:
Pull_Up said:
Did you also do the transmitter update which involves opening it up and plugging a USB cable to the internal circuit board?
Yes

UAVInsurance said:
Here's what I recall:

I think we must realize now that this is NOT just an issue that can occur without the proper updates.

Does anyone know if data can be grabbed from these???? Before I send it to anyone, I would like to see if I can snag the operational data from it. Right now, there's not power to it.

If you look at my pictures, you can clearly see that all damage was to the top side which was the result of the aircraft going inverted and falling to the ground in that position. There's no damage to the landing gear at all and not a mark on the camera. The extent of the damage is significant and all arm breaks were from the inverted position and clearly caused by a long fall onto a hard surface. I did talk to a person that was watching and was closer to it. He said that he thought he saw lights on but didn't hear the motors. He couldn't say what color the lights were or even for certain so who knows.

I had the battery error on both of my batteries ONLY after doing the firmware update NOT before doing the firmware update. I didn't fly it before updating the firmware but I did power it up to learn my way around it and no battery error showed until after I did the firmware update. When the battery error showed, the lights were red or yellow and the aircraft would not power up at all and gave no response to the remote input. I reinstalled the firmware updates and then the errors went a away. I thought nothing of it. The droid app was showing fine (I didn't have it mounted on the remote) when I looked at it and the battery life was strong. Then the video lost connection intermittently which i chalked up to range. It was flying perfectly from what I could tell until I started for home and to land and that's when the app went in and out. While in descent, it just started oscillating badly and then I had no control whatsoever and I could do nothing but watch it fall.

I don't know what this is saying but the pictures show the screens I was seeing as well.

http://fpv-community.de/showthread.php? ... post480669
http://fpv-community.de/showthread.php? ... Cr/page118

I suggest that you contacted the dealer and ask them to check it for you.
Where did you buy from?

terry.one said:
I suggest that you contacted the dealer and ask them to check it for you.
Where did you buy from?

Yes, I've contacted the Dealer and DJI. I bought it through Koozam (authorized dealer) on Amazon so I'm able to file a claim through Amazon if needed. Koozam did respond quickly that they'll check into it whatever that means.

whitewatersalvo said:
James Cole said:

UAVInsurance said:
Pull_Up said:
Yes

UAVInsurance said:
Here's what I recall:

Not really, this could have been anything. An ESC gave up the ghost, a fuseable link failed - there are a whole host of things that can cause it to fall out of the sky.

Agreed, hence my post that this is not JUST an issue that can occur without the proper updates. If something random like that did fail then dropping from the sky can occur whether or not you get the updates done. We have had reports of both people before updating and after updating having these random drops. That's all I was saying.

whitewatersalvo said:
Agreed, hence my post that this is not JUST an issue that can occur without the proper updates. If something random like that did fail then dropping from the sky can occur whether or not you get the updates done. We have had reports of both people before updating and after updating having these random drops. That's all I was saying.

Hello friend'm from Brazil, and I had the same problem with my PV, she was simply screws on in full flight, with everything set up, calibrated and checked, all updates done. I sent several emails to DJI, wisher and no answer, only thing that DJI can say is to do the calibration, but we believe this is a logical error and in no calibration .. I was so skeptical of VISION I'm selling parts! Embrace good luck!

I've experienced a problem very similar to yours Terry and your post may have saved me from destroying my own phantom 2 vision. I'm interested to see how dji comes back to you.

My first two flights with the phantom were problem free. After reading about the "invalid battery" issues online (as well as this disconcerting line straight out of the user's manual: "Please follow the procedures to upgrade the software and firmware; otherwise the PHANTOM 2 VISION might not work properly") i decided to upgrade the firmware. I upgraded the phantom as well as the RC and all seemed to be successful. When I went to try it out however, I got the "invalid battery" message on my app. I was receiving live footage from the camera but I could not start the motors (not that I really wanted to with invalid battery message going off). I'm not going to try and re-install the firmware after reading your post.

Another piece of the puzzle is that I am also using a Nexus7. I was only able to download the app through this link http://m.dji.net/djivision which I found on another phantompilots post. The other attempts to download through google said that it wasn't compatible with my device. Furthermore, my app says I have version 1.0.34 and all of the material online says that the latest app version is 1.0.33 So i'm a little perplexed as to why that is. I cant seem to update my app and the firmware update is supposed to coincide with an app update. I'm wondering if you obtained the app the same way and if any of these issues are related...

I've emailed DJI. Any advice is welcome. Looking forward to flying again soon

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj