Phantom 2 propeller guards are not compatible with the Phantom 3.

Reaction score
Per an Email from DJI this morning:

Dear DJI Customer,

Please note that Phantom 2 propeller guards are not compatible with the Phantom 3.

We strongly recommend that you do not use the Phantom 2 series Propeller Guards that you bought with your Phantom 3, or that you remove them now and do not continue using them.

DJI will send you new Propeller Guards custom-built for the Phantom 3 as soon as they become available, completely free of charge.

We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you,

DJI

I wonder what the issue is?

I believe the only issue is the length of the screws. The motor screws in the Phantom 3 are shorter than the Phantom 2 motor screws.

Correct. Some prop guards come with the correct screws (like Bestem's). DJI apparently never released a version with P3 screws.

I have the Bestem removable and checked the screw length before installing. They are the correct size and do not interfere with motor operation. Just insure that you don't over torque the 2 screws when installing.

I bought the DJI prop guards online through a dealer. I suppose I'm out of luck for getting Dji to replace them as the OP stated. Can somebody tell us what the correct screw length should be?

So what exactly would the longer screw do to the motor? I'm wondering if I should now be checking something specific for damage.
Thanks

I have p2 guards fitted and they are totally compatible. Just need to cut 2mm off each screw. Used a dremel for nice clean cut

I have p2 guards fitted and they are totally compatible. Just need to cut 2mm off each screw. Used a dremel for nice clean cut
Are we all sure that this is the only issue with the prop guards? The original messages says:
"DJI will send you new Propeller Guards custom-built for the Phantom 3"
Why not just send me a pack of new screws?

Reactions: Adam Kontras
For those of us without dremel skills, what size screws should we use with the Bestem guards? Also, anybody know where to buy them (the screws)?

Per an Email from DJI this morning:

Dear DJI Customer,

Please note that Phantom 2 propeller guards are not compatible with the Phantom 3.

We strongly recommend that you do not use the Phantom 2 series Propeller Guards that you bought with your Phantom 3, or that you remove them now and do not continue using them.

DJI will send you new Propeller Guards custom-built for the Phantom 3 as soon as they become available, completely free of charge.

We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you,

DJI

I wonder what the issue is?

Do you happen to have a DJI support ticket or contact for this? I just bought a set of guards from a DJI Auth Dealer last week who told me these work for the P3. Thanks.

The longer screws are the issue and there have been reports of damaged motor webbings due to people using the longer screws. Prop Guards specific to the Phantom 3 will be released in the coming weeks.

The longer screws are the issue and there have been reports of damaged motor webbings due to people using the longer screws. Prop Guards specific to the Phantom 3 will be released in the coming weeks.

I ended up buying these before this thread as they said they were compatible with P3 and they're sooooooooo close to perfect. I believe maybe 1 or 2 revolutions long and in fact? I have a feeling people are just screwing them in SO TIGHT they're hitting the motor somehow. As others have stated in the thread, with a dremel you can easily take off a little bit and the actual guards themselves are perfect. I'm not sure why they're not just offering a little bag of M3x10 screws to replace the M3x12s. For reference, the screws in the phantom itself is M3x8s.

This is Daz from Bestem. We started selling these guards with the M3x12mm screws after we installed these guards on P3 with no problems. We then got a call from Atlanta Hobby about recommending replace these with M3x10mm. So we took the advice now P3 guards are shipping with a separated set of M3x10mm screws.
Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Apparently no one has noticed that the motors on the p3 are angled slightly In pairs, instead of all being parallel and vertical. That is why the screws are different lengths.
I have a set of guards for the 2. Never used them.

I received a set of guards from Bestem. The P-3 supplied screws were Ok on one side of the motor but two short on the other side.After emailing Bestem it was concluded that I should use a short screw out of the P-3 screw pack and a long screw out of the P-2 screw pack. Problem solved. I just hope the long screw supplied is the correct length.

I plan to use some #6 flat washers to shim the P2 screws some or go to the hardware and buy shorter metric screws with a pan head. Having washers will offer a stronger joint and cost me nothing as I already had a $1.20 bag of them. I know there is a weight gain involved though :(

I guess these are free if you bought the wrong one's direct from DJI only?

The P2 guards are $12.50 new at bhphoto (versus $19 for P3 guards that aren't in stock), so why would I ever pay $6.50 more unless the shape is different?!? Is the shape different somehow?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31