Phantom 2 Pre order

1grayweim said:
So after reading the description of the Phantom 2, I was still unsure if the Vision App works with a GoPro and Phantom 2? I bought the Vision because I loved the idea of a live view and the ability to tilt and adjust for framing on the fly. But after owning the Vision for a few weeks, I've been a little disappointed in the copter's camera. I think the Gimbal and GoPro might be the option for me, that is of course if the live view capabilities are still there.

Vision app seems to only work with phantom vision. For the vision model, they use 5.8ghz freq for control and 2.4ghz (wifi) for fpv and osd.

For phantom 2, the frequency is swapped. 2.4ghz for control and you should use 5.8ghz for fpv. I think this way it's also easier to swap the control system with higher performing Futabas or what have you, since they all work in 2.4ghz range. I don't think you can do this safely on the Phantom Vision due to interference with the similar camera frequency in such close proximity.

Drone7 said:
Pull_Up said:
1grayweim said:
So after reading the description of the Phantom 2, I was still unsure if the Vision App works with a GoPro and Phantom 2? I bought the Vision because I loved the idea of a live view and the ability to tilt and adjust for framing on the fly. But after owning the Vision for a few weeks, I've been a little disappointed in the copter's camera. I think the Gimbal and GoPro might be the option for me, that is of course if the live view capabilities are still there.

No, the Vision App is specific to the Vision and its camera with its capabilities. I believe some GoPro models have a short-range wifi capability and their own app - but the range is going to be much shorter than the Vision as there's no range extender involved. I don't know what options are available on the GoPro to be controlled by wifi/what the quality/lag on the live view is.

I have seen your link to the other site, i see there is a 5.8ghz video downlink inside the Phantom ll. This makes me think you can use a monitor with receiver (or goggles of course) for fpv instead of the app.

From the way they describe it ("depends on video downlink"), I think they're just preinstalling the cable for us to install our own fpv solution. Sounds like the gopro video out cable + power cable is preinstalled, to hook up to your 5.8ghz fatshark or what have you...

Drone7 said:
Pull_Up said:
1grayweim said:

No, the Vision App is specific to the Vision and its camera with its capabilities. I believe some GoPro models have a short-range wifi capability and their own app - but the range is going to be much shorter than the Vision as there's no range extender involved. I don't know what options are available on the GoPro to be controlled by wifi/what the quality/lag on the live view is.

I have seen your link to the other site, i see there is a 5.8ghz video downlink inside the Phantom ll. This makes me think you can use a monitor with receiver (or goggles of course) for fpv instead of the app.

Good spot. So if you have a GoPro and (e.g.) Fat Sharks from a previous setup then you should be able to plug-and-play. If not then you need to add about another $700 or so to be good to go. I assume that doesn't come with telemetry data like the Vision, though - but I believe you can mount something to do that inside the Phantom as an extra as well?

1grayweim said:

Have tons of FPV solutions better as iPhone :)

I would not be surprised if the "FPV" support feature already has a 5.8 ghz transmitter built in. Why else would the price be inflated from the version 1 as much as it is, aside from the new battery..

I'm a bit confused as to what I read on the djiguys forum saying the V2 zenmuse bundle is a different zenmuse than the one I bought a few months ago. I was planning on getting the package without the zenmuse and putting my zenmuse on it but now I'm wondering why the new zenmuse is "new".

Pull_Up said:
Looking at the Phantom range comparison in that link more closely I'd say the Vision suits me just fine as:

I'm a noob to quads of this size;
I don't own a GoPro already, and would have no other use for one except bolted to a quad;
I'm not interested in making "broadcast standard" videos with lots of time spent on editing - just fun clips for my own use;
I'm not interested in taking pro-standard photographs or spending a lot of time on post-processing - see above;
I'm not a "tinkerer" and want to avoid reaching for the screwdriver unless absolutely necessary;
I wanted a non-immersive FPV option for framing shots and showing people live views that was plug-and-play.

If a few of these were not the case then I might be feeling like I should have waited before getting the Vision. As it is, it would seem that out of all the Phantom options now (and soon to be) available, the Vision ticks all the boxes for me and users like me...

Those reasons are why I went for Phantom 2 Vision as well. I also believe those people got their pricing wrong for phantom 2 with gimbal h3 2d but well see in January.

If want telemetry can add easily an iOSD Mark II or any else. I intend to buy a Phantom 2 and replace standard RC with a Futuba 14SG that have own telemetry. Will get 3 km+ range to fly and 1 km+ for telemetry. I will gain not just a lot of range but in same time will have secure flights.

With an immersion 600 mW Tx can have 2km FPV. Or more if use 1000 mW one. Can add a DragonLink and go to 4 km range. I will never go so far but will protect me to avoid losing the signal. If will add an iOSD can increase telemetry range.

A Vision problem (for me) is that use 5.8KHz for controller. 2.4 GHz is superior to 5.8 GHz. If need a quad just to fly for fun on open fields and don't wish to invest more $ ... Vision is perfect for you. My dream Phantom will cost me around 3-3.5k $, but I hope to deserve.

ginsonic said:
If want telemetry can add easily an iOSD Mark II or any else. I intend to buy a Phantom 2 and replace standard RC with a Futuba 14SG that have own telemetry. Will get 3 km+ range to fly and 1 km+ for telemetry. I will gain not just a lot of range but in same time will have secure flights.

With an immersion 600 mW Tx can have 2km FPV. Or more if use 1000 mW one. Can add a DragonLink and go to 4 km range. I will never go so far but will protect me to avoid losing the signal. If will add an iOSD can increase telemetry range.

A Vision problem (for me) is that use 5.8KHz for controller. 2.4 GHz is superior to 5.8 GHz. If need a quad just to fly for fun on open fields and don't wish to invest more $ ... Vision is perfect for you. My dream Phantom will cost me around 3-3.5k $, but I hope to deserve.

your dream phantom sounds like a 550.

Ksc said:
ginsonic said:

your dream phantom sounds like a 550.

Not sure that 550 have for this money GoPro3+, gimbal, Futuba 14SG RC, DragonLink, iOSD, Fatshark, 1000mw FPV Tx, SpiroNet antenna, tracking antenna, case etc.

there's this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGUc_kLBIg8

so i've been dying to know how they will accommodate FPV and it seems there are just wires hanging for the signal, but i don't see any leads for power.
0W9GUlI.png

the video also claims 20-minute flight time with zenmuse and "video downlink"

i guess here you can see an antenna, is the downlink they're referring to on-board?
BFvh1Dj.png

at the end, they promo a website which isn't really live (asof 12/12/13): http://www.dji.com/phantom-2/

Thoughts?

John

According to the guys at Atlanta Hobby where I have one pre-ordered they say the camera tilt will be able to be controled I think by the same slider type control used on the original Phantom.

I spoke with William at DroneFly today and he indicated that they would be shipping mine today (Monday) or tomorrow. I suspect it will be tomorrow because I changed my order slightly and the billing didn't show up until after closing today. They have received their shipment.

Manuals

I found the manuals here:

http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-downloads/

There will be a lever on the back of the remote for gimbal tilt.

On screen display layed over the gopro video out.

Also looks like a special "phantom only" gopro used with a contact pad on the back to facilitate control of the camera.

From the manuals it also appears that the video transmitter will be a separate purchase.

To all the people calling foul that the Vision was just a beta, it does not appear that way to me. The P2 will require MUCH more investment and is a completely different level package.

Beyond the P2 purchase you will also need:
1 onboard display overlay module
2 video xmitter
3 specially modified gopro
4 video RX and display.

To me it looks like you need to spend another grand in optional components to get the same functionality as the P2V gives you albeit at a higher level of gimbal stabilized goodness. For the money and completeness of package the P2V is an outstanding buy. The P2 is for those reaching for the next level. Think the difference between a Canon t3 and 70D. Next you get to the larger craft like the flamewheel (maybe 6D) and go up from there.

Just my thoughts, check out the manuals to see. No real videos showing the OSD in action yet or explaining the optional modules needed for this functionality.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik