Phantom 2 GPS conversion to Puck??

Reaction score
Has anyone done or heard of a conversion from the stock Phantom 2 GPS to an external Puck GPS antenna? I fly mostly around cell towers while doing audits, and verifying work. I am having a terrible time with GPS sync around all of the carriers equipment - Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T. I am seriously considering this conversion, as i have already tried the mod of tin foil, and the wire hide. I would imagine that a puck could be mounted directly on top of the P2 on a stem as there is plenty of room. Thoughts??

Has anyone done or heard of a conversion from the stock Phantom 2 GPS to an external Puck GPS antenna? I fly mostly around cell towers while doing audits, and verifying work. I am having a terrible time with GPS sync around all of the carriers equipment - Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, and AT&T. I am seriously considering this conversion, as i have already tried the mod of tin foil, and the wire hide. I would imagine that a puck could be mounted directly on top of the P2 on a stem as there is plenty of room. Thoughts??

So why don't you you go into the naza-m mod and set it up to use ATTI instead of GPS? You would takeoff in GPS and once in the air switch it over.

Last edited:
So why don't you you go into the naza-m mod and set it up to use ATTI instead of GPS? You would takeoff in GPS and once in the air switch it over.
That is part of the problem. There are so many GPS signals around the cell site which is why it sometimes takes up to 7 minutes to get a solid 6 sat's. Not to mention that the stock P2 GPS is really sub-par in comparison to most - if the P2 takes a hard crash, most likely the GPS will crack or be damaged. I think the GPS puck will plug directly into the P2 IMU, which could also eliminate the compass as well.

Well you need the GPS module in order to start the the motors. Of course you only need GPS for home lock whereas with ATTI you're in full control but in order to have ATTI in the center position on S1 you must be in the Naza-M mode. In Phantom mode there is no ATTI in the center position of S1.

Switch over to Naza-M mode and try flying ATTI out in and open field. When in GPS the LED's are green and ATTI the LED's are yellow. You don't need GPS (home lock) to start the props or to takeoff but it is nice have HL and GPS just in case.

I have done such a mod, check this vid out.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When you connect the chinese gps.. do you disconnect the stock compass being that the gps puck has compass as well?

The phantom doesnt like that one disconnected, but i suppose you can.

That is part of the problem. There are so many GPS signals around the cell site which is why it sometimes takes up to 7 minutes to get a solid 6 sat's. Not to mention that the stock P2 GPS is really sub-par in comparison to most - if the P2 takes a hard crash, most likely the GPS will crack or be damaged. I think the GPS puck will plug directly into the P2 IMU, which could also eliminate the compass as well.

the neo 8 m chip set has a couple saw filters built into them, their very resilient to jamming.

So i assume if you keep the stock compass connected it would just use that instead of the onboard m8n compass?

Ok, so this is what i found. Disconnecting the the sensor that is on the landing gear will cause the wifi module and gimbals modules of this circuit to malfunction, somewhere in the firmware that compass is required not only for flight, but im also thinking its responsible for gimbals movement control and WiFi power consumption based on range and heading. when i took the WiFi adapter internally apart, i noticed a slightly over sized and heat sinked chip that supplements RX and TX power respectively that is used in circuits where the power can be adjusted. this is usually a "Smart power" feature with mobile units to conserve or attempt to conserve battery life.

so will it fly in phantom mode? yes, but you get no status from the mobile app nor camera gimbals initialization. Im going to switch it over to naza -m mode and see if that makes a difference.

EDIT:: no difference, and as another poster suggested, i compromised the bus when i did this.

Last edited by a moderator:
The compass is parked on a data buss (A Controller Area Network (CAN bus)). Removing it and not properly terminating the buss will cause noise (reflections) and other unwanted effects with the communication on the buss.

The compass itself has nothing to do with gimbals, WiFi, or power management or any of the other suppositions mentioned directly.

You have simply compromised the buss.

Last edited:
is their anyway to properly terminate this?i for one would love the neo 8 m compass over stock.

Sorry for yet another question... so can i just replace the gps connection with the m8n puck connection and leave the stock compass connected. I would assume that would work.

thats how im testing it, works great.

Where have you plugged the M8n into?? Is it directly into the NAZA or into the board?? I ask as the M8n G2 has the built in compass and wondering which compass the P2 uses.
And also, is your GPS PUCK the standard on the M8n or is it the upgrade 35x35x6mm that can get more sats. And how many sats do you get??

Where have you plugged the M8n into?? Is it directly into the NAZA or into the board?? I ask as the M8n G2 has the built in compass and wondering which compass the P2 uses.
And also, is your GPS PUCK the standard on the M8n or is it the upgrade 35x35x6mm that can get more sats. And how many sats do you get??

He never answered you in this Using NAZA GPS Puck on Phantom 2 doubt he'll answer you in this thread either.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic