Phantom 1 Question / advise

Reaction score
Just picked up a cheap Phantom 1 P330D ver 2.0.0 for my son, I'm not sure if it's an FC40 , the drone does not have a transmitter or charger, i can get the charger, but I'm not sure which transmitter will work on this version. Is it the DJ6? or the other one for the Phantom 2? or how can i tell which transmitter is the correct one? I've searched through the threads and I am now more confused with all the different frequencies and versions of this drone. Hope someone can help.
p110.jpg

Last edited:
Based on what I see in the attached screen snapshots, a P330D V2 Phantom is the last (and best) of the P1 series.

Ir was commonly referred to as the P1.1.1

Double check your Phantom and if it has 2 antennas (i.e. a single wire running down the inside of 2 different legs) you definitely have a P1.1.1.

If that's true you need to find a DJ6 Model DJI Transmitter. I have a P1.1.1 and the DJ6 Transmitter came with my P1.1.1

P.S. If you didn't get any Manuals, etc. with P1, let me know and I'll upload them for you.

READING THEM WILL MAKE ALL DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD IN GETTING THE P1 TO FLY SAFELY.

Enjoy flying the quadcopter with your son... :)

Attachments

• What Phantom___ _ DJI Phantom Drone Forum_2017-01-01_12-19-03.png
    What Phantom___ _ DJI Phantom Drone Forum_2017-01-01_12-19-03.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 558
  • DJI Phantom model differences explained_2017-01-01_11-41-34.png
    DJI Phantom model differences explained_2017-01-01_11-41-34.png
    247.6 KB · Views: 904
Thanks for replying Pilot_FML, being new to this i am so confused at the different versions of this Phantom, I've read some where that the FC40 had a 5.8 ghz radio transmitter , isn't the DJ6 a 2.4 ghz radio transmitter. I've been doing RC airplanes and cars but never a quad, so this is all new to me, especially with all the variants of this model. Your help is greatly appreciated. I found the manuals, but thanks for the offer. Hopefully i can get this together for my son, so when i get my Phantom 3 we can learn together.

Ok just checked and the Drone, has two antenna's one longer than the other, and an another wire on the side to a little grey box , i'm guessing the compass? The bind button , (I think that is what it's called ) is inside the battery compartment , under the circuit board and self tightening propellers.

img_1011.jpg
img_1010.jpg
img_1012.jpg

UPDATE: according to DJI i need the 5.8 ghz radio for this model, I'm still not certain as they appear to not know what i was talking about at first they told me to buy a Futuba radio worth almost $300 bucks! https://www.amazon.com/Futaba-10-Ch...ie=UTF8&qid=1483333349&sr=8-2&keywords=futaba
then they tell me to get the 5.8 ghz radio from DJI https://www.amazon.com/5-8ghz-Remote-Control-Built-Battery/dp/B00Q9BDBSC . Now I'm totally lost! is this an FC40 or a Phantom 1?

Last edited:
All I can tell you for certain is that I have P330D (P1.1.1) Phantom and that the Transmitter (Tx) that works with my Phantom has a data plate identifying it as a DJ6 Tx that has an operating frequency of 2.404 - 2.476 GHz.

I actually bought my Phantom P1.1.1 because it was advertised to also work with the better Futaba Tx but I've only actually flown the P1.1.1 with the DJI DJ6 Tx for 3-4 years without a problem.

For what its worth, DJI is notoriously bad in how they identify different model numbers and its caused a lot of confusion over the years.

P.S. Another possible way to clear up any misunderstanding about what model you have would be to provide DJI the Serial Number (S/N) on your Phantom's data plate. That number should uniquely identify you Phantom's configuration and allow them to confirm what Tx you need. I'd advise communicating with them via email to avoid any later possible misunderstanding..

EDIT:
P.S. Your getting contradictory advise.... when I look at the 2 links you just provided one Tx is listed to work at 2.4GHZ while the other is listed to work at 5.8GHz. Obviously only one can be correct for your Phantom.

Last edited:
OK just got off with DJI tech (on chat) again, this time I provided them the serial # and was advised that I have a Phantom FC40, which will require the 5.8 ghz radio.

Boy what a way to get into this hobby!

screen10.png

Last edited:
Tried to follow your chat session but couldn't understand why 2 different serial numbers were involved???

Also your post which was clipped off at the end, didn't show DJI confirming that it was an FC40.

Given that DJI verified that your quad's S/N uses a 5.8GHz Tx you should be fine.

P.S. Let us know when you successfully complete the binding...With your permission, I'd like to post what you've discovered on another forum to help the guys there looking for advice.

Reactions: BlackBeard8654
The serial # you see given by DJI is for the remote control, not sure why he gave it to me? Once I get this matter straightened out I'll let you know.

OK guys, after jumping through hoops and being on the phone with DJI for over an hour today, i was told to crack open the case of the Phantom , i was told that it was a Phantom1 FC40. I'm still totally lost how they knew that, but i wasn't going to argue. I was finally happy to get to the bottom of this dilemma.

img_1015.jpg

img_1013.jpg

img_1016.jpg

img_1017.jpg

Just to top it off, i discovered this post today which sums it all up
A 5.8GHz P1 is a FC40! Time to make one forum for P1/FC40?

Not sure why DJI told you to open up your Phantom.

Was it to identify the specific Receiver (Rx) within within your Phantom?

Doing so would confirm what frequency your Tx must be because the Tx and Rx operating frequencies must be the same.

P.S. The "orange" unit shown in your photo's is the NAZA-M-V2 flight controller which has nothing to do with selecting the correct Tx. DJI uses the same flight controller across multiple Phantom models..

Not sure why DJI told you to open up your Phantom.

Was it to identify the specific Receiver (Rx) within within your Phantom?

Doing so would confirm what frequency your Tx must be because the Tx and Rx operating frequencies must be the same.

P.S. The "orange" unit shown in your photo's is the NAZA-M-V2 flight controller which has nothing to do with selecting the correct Tx. DJI uses the same flight controller across multiple Phantom models..

To be honest, I have no clue why they asked me to open it open it up, I gave them all the information i had on it serial #, model# & version # . I'm guessing to make verify i had the V2 of the NAZA would be my only guess. Or maybe they just did that to bust my , well you know.

Was the FC40 the only phantom 1 with the 5.8 ghz flight radio? or do they come in 2.4 ghz also ?

Opening up the Phantom and identifying the Rx is the ONLY foolproof way DJI could positively confirm what Tx you need to buy. If you got the Phantom 2nd or 3rd hand, any of the previous owners could have changed the Rx in the Phantom to suit their particular needs.

At this point, here's what I recommend:
Google Phantom Receivers and collect some screen shots and specs for each type "Phantom" Rx you find.
Look for the same Rx that matches what's in your particular Phantom.
When you find it just note the Rx's operating frequency (from its spec sheet) and you'll know what frequency Tx you need to buy... ;)

@Pilot_FML

UPDATE: received my new transmitter today from Dronefly, Model # PVT581, pressed the bind button on the inside of the FC40 , turned on the controller and BANG! connected right up. Did the Naza setup and programming and took it out for a quick test run, hovers well controls are smooth. Now my son is happy as hell. He can't wait for warm weather to learn to fly.

Image of the rear plate of the controller. SO yes it is a Phantom 1 FC40

img_1010.jpg

Very glad that you eventually found out what type of Tx you needed and that your link-up went well:)

DJI products are the best choice out there IMHO ... you made an excellent choice in getting him a Phantom.

P.S. Thanks for getting back to me ....

Very glad that you eventually found out what type of Tx you needed and that your link-up went well:)

DJI products are the best choice out there IMHO ... you made an excellent choice in getting him a Phantom.

P.S. Thanks for getting back to me ....

ANytime , if it helps someone else then it was worth it.

@Pilot_FML

UPDATE: received my new transmitter today from Dronefly, Model # PVT581, pressed the bind button on the inside of the FC40 , turned on the controller and BANG! connected right up. Did the Naza setup and programming and took it out for a quick test run, hovers well controls are smooth. Now my son is happy as hell. He can't wait for warm weather to learn to fly.

Image of the rear plate of the controller. SO yes it is a Phantom 1 FC40

img_1010.jpg

Very happy you solve your problem getting the right transmitter.
In fact I checked the label on my P1.1.1 (bought as new) and the Model is the P330D, but the version on the S/N label finishes with V 1.1.1.
In this case the transmitter is the 2.4 GHz "DJ6" model and the Naza is the "Orange type" V. 2 exactly as the one shown in your pictures.
If this confusion happens with P1, I cannot imagine what will happen to someone that will buy a used P3 or P4, with so many model types and versions(standard, advanced, Pro,Pro-Plus etc.).

Very happy you solve your problem getting the right transmitter.
In fact I checked the label on my P1.1.1 (bought as new) and the Model is the P330D, but the version on the S/N label finishes with V 1.1.1.
In this case the transmitter is the 2.4 GHz "DJ6" model and the Naza is the "Orange type" V. 2 exactly as the one shown in your pictures.
If this confusion happens with P1, I cannot imagine what will happen to someone that will buy a used P3 or P4, with so many model types and versions(standard, advanced, Pro,Pro-Plus etc.).

I totally agree, especially being a newbie like me, i was so confused. That V.2.0.0 just threw me off, since technically its still a P1 with model # P330D. Till this day i still don't know how they identified it, i'm guessing the serial #.

OK guys, after jumping through hoops and being on the phone with DJI for over an hour today, i was told to crack open the case of the Phantom , i was told that it was a Phantom1 FC40. I'm still totally lost how they knew that, but i wasn't going to argue. I was finally happy to get to the bottom of this dilemma.

img_1015.jpg

img_1013.jpg

img_1016.jpg

img_1017.jpg

Just to top it off, i discovered this post today which sums it all up
A 5.8GHz P1 is a FC40! Time to make one forum for P1/FC40?
Some of these guys are always looking for examination...so it may be hard to get a straight answer..lol glad you asked the question for me...thanks and good luck bud!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.