Phantom 1 Propeller Upgrade - Which is best?

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed already. I've searched the board many times and I'm having a hard time finding a definitive guide to possible propeller upgrades for the Phantom 1.

I'm currently running stock 8" props on my Phantom 1 and though it flies fine, I don't feel it performs the way it should. Over the last few months my copter has put on a little weight (gimbal, gopro, extended length landing arms, prop guards). The flying characteristics have changed somewhat and from what I've read, moving up to 9" blades helps with thrust and overall movement.

I've read good and bad stories about prop upgrades. I'm not on any type of budget. I don't want to save a few bucks and buy a cheap knockoff setup. I want something good that will improve my flying time and overall flying experience. It would be great to get a few minutes of extra flying time as well.

So, in everyone's opinion what would be a proper 9" propeller upgrade for the Phantom 1? My Phantom uses the nuts to lock down the props. I don't have self tightening ones.

Thanks!

JaysDMC said:
Sorry if this has been discussed already. I've searched the board many times and I'm having a hard time finding a definitive guide to possible propeller upgrades for the Phantom 1.

I'm currently running stock 8" props on my Phantom 1 and though it flies fine, I don't feel it performs the way it should. Over the last few months my copter has put on a little weight (gimbal, gopro, extended length landing arms, prop guards). The flying characteristics have changed somewhat and from what I've read, moving up to 9" blades helps with thrust and overall movement.

I've read good and bad stories about prop upgrades. I'm not on any type of budget. I don't want to save a few bucks and buy a cheap knockoff setup. I want something good that will improve my flying time and overall flying experience. It would be great to get a few minutes of extra flying time as well.

So, in everyone's opinion what would be a proper 9" propeller upgrade for the Phantom 1? My Phantom uses the nuts to lock down the props. I don't have self tightening ones.

Thanks!

DJI E300 NST (non-self-tightening) 9443 props. $15/pair. These maximize flight time, but 9" props are by nature more skittish and a bit less stable than 8". For the price, they're worth testing and seeing if you like how they handle.

Edit: my quick mini-review: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2135933

What about the Phantom 1.1.1 self tightening ones? I've tried searching online but feel like I find bad ones. Links please!

kydan said:
What about the Phantom 1.1.1 self tightening ones? I've tried searching online but feel like I find bad ones. Links please!
Those are 8045 props. The self-tightening is nice but they are functionally equivalent to the stock props that come on all phantom 1s. Not what I'd call an upgrade.

ElGuano said:
Those are 8045 props. The self-tightening is nice but they are functionally equivalent to the stock props that come on all phantom 1s. Not what I'd call an upgrade.

So what in your opinion would be a good upgrade for the phantom 1.1.1 props to add more flight time and stability? I think i'm confused... :|

kydan said:
ElGuano said:

So what in your opinion would be a good upgrade for the phantom 1.1.1 props to add more flight time and stability? I think i'm confused... :|

The 9443s are phantom 2 props. Those fit the 1.1.1 but are not called "1.1.1 props" whether they are self-tightening or not. "1.1.1 props," or the props that come with and are made for the 1.1.1, are 8045 props, they are what you have now.

If you have a 1.1.1, go ahead and get the self-tightening version of the 9443s, they're much more convenient than dealing with nuts.

ElGuano said:
kydan said:
ElGuano said:

The 9443s are phantom 2 props. Those fit the 1.1.1 but are not called "1.1.1 props" whether they are self-tightening or not. "1.1.1 props," or the props that come with and are made for the 1.1.1, are 8045 props, they are what you have now.

If you have a 1.1.1, go ahead and get the self-tightening version of the 9443s, they're much more convenient than dealing with nuts.

Thank you for the clarification. Where would you buy the self-tightening 9443's? I've seen what I think are knock-offs, but want to be sure they are legit.

kydan said:
Thank you for the clarification. Where would you buy the self-tightening 9443's? I've seen what I think are knock-offs, but want to be sure they are legit.
You can go to DJI.com and see their dealer list for your region, that's probably the best way to avoid knockoffs.

ElGuano said:
kydan said:
You can go to DJI.com and see their dealer list for your region, that's probably the best way to avoid knockoffs.

A++ for you! Thanks again.

I've bought my share of stuff from DSLRpros. They have seemed to stop price gouging and they know a lot about the Phantom line and seem to fly them.

I want to get these props:

http://www.dslrpros.com/Products/tabid/ ... fault.aspx

They report no need to change the gain settings with the above props because they mimic the 9in self tightening props from Dji. Last night I managed to come across my old phantom 1 props to compare the phantom 2 props and they were a night and day difference. Phantom 1 props looked like flimsy, plastic Popsicle sticks.

They promote the CF props providing better stability and long flight times.

To save you some time, I went thru checkout at most of the DJI North American dealers and the best deal I found was at UAVproducts for $15 a set (2 props) with free shipping (over $50 spent) buying 4 sets (8 props total).

They are now ordered!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dosserdd