personal vision videos

Compilation of a few videos shot around auckland:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQLFBw1xFhk[/youtube]

Enjoy =]

and another I did for a friend that moved to the States...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvyNhGfxmvM[/youtube]

Studiowise said:
i'm also considering painting the out bezel of my camera black as i have a suspicion that some of the flaring is actually a refracted flare off of the metalic bezel. Have you also noticed on yours (and many other) video the hotpsot that tracks along the ground around the Vision's own shadow on a sunny day. I'm trying to replicate and then eradicate this erroneous light pattern also!

When playing with my PV the first time, I, of course, had to fly it in front of me to get a self-portrait. When I did, I noticed the sun reflecting quite brightly off the camera's bezel. So, I suspect that painting it black might be an improvement.

'Course, I'm too timid to take a paint brush to mine right away. :)

-- Roger

ShawnSmith said:
Weather was finally good enough for me to take the vision out for it's first Attitude Mode flight. Even in mild wind it was able to get some really decent footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsER742s ... e=youtu.be

Still need more practice but liking what I am seeing so far.
That's really smooth - well done! Did you do any stabilization or other post-processing in software? I may have to finally give in and do the upgrades to get Attitude mode...

Jimre, I did not use any stabilization in editing... But YouTube added stabilization after upload. I am in media production, so most likely we will add stabilization in After Effects on most shots so I left the yt stabilization on. However, ATT mode does greatly improve smooth movements. One note though, I needed way more room to make turns and movements in ATT mode. Mostly because the best looking turns are slower and more subtle, so the turning radius goes way up. Got a lot closer to some trees than I wanted too. Whenever it got sketchy I just threw it back into GPS mode and got her back under control and started the shot over.

Took my new second battery for a spin this afternoon. First time I inserted it I got an "Invalid Battery" error (on the ground, I hasten to add!). I reseated the new battery and power-cycled and it cleared. Original battery went in without problems straight after. We were just messing about in my son's friend's garden but we had over an hour's worth of great fun out of two batteries. The Vision makes a good leaf blower - plus she even shreds a few of them nicely if you get too low and they go through the props!

Incidentally both boys got some stick time, and both managed to land the Vision cleanly with just voice direction from me. They are only 7 years old... Here's a quick something I put together:

http://youtu.be/ZLAX2JRKKUM

Awesome video Pull_Up, I really like the left to right tracking shot with the kids jumping and the very last shot flying up into space. Nice job keeping them in frame nice and smooth. I think it is easy to fly the P2V 300 feet in the air and get a cool distant landscape, but much more challenging to keep it low and follow subjects and objects. Great job!

Thanks for your kind words. Like anything else it's practice, and it's also remembering what worked from the edit of your last flight - what footage you used and what you threw away. Every flight now I aim to throw away fewer clips than the last! Moving targets are definitely more difficult than trees and hills, though... ;)

Edit: Oh and that tracking shot was done in atti mode. Just a little nudge in the flat calm and let it drift.

Here is a series of views of our city taken early on Thanksgiving morning....this was edited in Photoshop Premiere Elements. I've had my P2V about 2 weeks and at this point, I had about 10 take-off and landings...I want to keep those numbers exactly equal..!! I'm still not nearly as smooth and adept as I want to get, but I'm having a lot of fun with this amazing device.

Going straight up the 400' in the first scene was nervous time for sure...but everything was just fine...it was just difficult controlling the Phantom with crossed fingers....>Grins< This shot shows the renovation of the Kansas State Capitol building and the brand new copper dome...a HUGE project that has taken about a dozen years in total.

http://blueribbonphotos.smugmug.com/Phantom

That opening shot where you rise up to height of the crane jib with the sunrise behind - very nice! Funny effect of the lens distortion on the way up made the crane tower look like it was leaning well out of true for a bit there. :)

Nice work! Smoothness starts to come soon enough - I particularly found it difficult to get smooth yawing shots at first; not so much the rotation itself but a smooth transition into and out of the yaw. She's surprisingly responsive.

Thanks PullUp... Well that crane has been there for about 4 years now, so IF it is leaning, it has not affected its operation all that much...>G< It's 305' to the top of the Indian on the dome and 346' or so to the boom...the P2V was nearly out of sight, but the FPV was OK, so no real worries..! And yes, the thing I need to work on is being able to move into and out of yawing more smoothly as well as trying to stop the 'panning' exactly where I need to be without any final jiggling about...

I've got plenty of other sites and ideas I want to use my P2V for...stay tuned.. And your kind words are appreciated..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31