Past month, flights losing GPS

Reaction score
Phantom 4 Pro
For the past month or so, I've been getting progressively more "GPS Disconnected" error messages.

Here's a link to today's flight log. About 4 minutes, 19 secconds is the first GPS loss. If you click the HD Flight Player while viewing the flight at AIRDATA, you can see it goes from 14 / 15 satellites to zero instantly and does that a few times.

Before today's flight, i refreshed the firmware. I also reset the compass and reset the vision sensors (as I noticed that error today also).

Most of my flights are using the "Flight" or Drone Deploy app for mapping. I don't know how to or if it's possible to retrieve those flight logs.

No more projects or mapping attempts until I get this sorted out.
I'm ready to send it to DJI unless someone has a good suggestion.

The engineer in me says "hardware failure". I would send it back to DJI. (My experience with DJI has been very good.) Out of curiosity did you notice any anomalies when running the drone deploy mapping missions? Those are driven by the GPS info uploaded to the drone before taking off. Good luck regardless!!

The engineer in me says "hardware failure". I would send it back to DJI. (My experience with DJI has been very good.) Out of curiosity did you notice any anomalies when running the drone deploy mapping missions? Those are driven by the GPS info uploaded to the drone before taking off. Good luck regardless!!
Thanks REStewart -

It's boxed up and ready to send today. Hoping for a quick turn. RE: Mapping... Last mission.. I usually start on with a spare, half charged battery (I have six) before sending it off on its first mission. During that warm up, I usually let it gather satellites, check all camera settings and load the mission profile. Then I switch to a fully charged battery for the first flight. It usually finds the satellites right away and I send it on it's way. This time, it took three "Reboot's" (drone on/off/on) before I could get it to see any satellites. And then it lost them (GPS Disconnected I think is the error message) about one minute into the session and stopped where it was at in the air. I came back in ATTI mode. Launched again after another reboot and during the ascent, lost them again. Tried one more time after 15 minutes thinking cool off period (was in the nineties) might help and it did. Launched and it flew the 20 minute session without issue. Flew one more 6 minute session at the same location and all went well. I wasn't very comfortable though. The next day I attempted some troubleshooting. I "refreshed" the firmware, and did a compass and vision sensor calibration. Then did some test flights, one of which is in the previous message. I'm with you as it seems to be hardware issue(s). I very capable of installing new parts but rather than me guess what it need, I think it's best to leave it to the pro's in this instance.

Here's a pic of Satellites during yesterday's troubleshooting flight...

1657297482357.png

you can see it goes from 14 / 15 satellites to zero instantly and does that a few times.
Only three things can cause sat numbers to drop to zero.
GPS jamming - very rarely seen
Flying under cover that blocks satellite signals
Hardware issues - faulty GPS receiver or flaky cable connection.

The last one is the most likely cause of the issue you described.
Before today's flight, i refreshed the firmware. I also reset the compass and reset the vision sensors (as I noticed that error today also).
None of those would have made any difference to your GPS issue.

Reactions: MikeA138
Only three things can cause sat numbers to drop to zero.
GPS jamming - very rarely seen
Flying under cover that blocks satellite signals
Hardware issues - faulty GPS receiver or flaky cable connection.

The last one is the most likely cause of the issue you described.

None of those would have made any difference to your GPS issue.
Assumed it was hardware but put it out there and ask.
The firmware refresh was a last ditch effort before sending it in.
Didn't want throw parts at it so I sent it in today.

Just an update. Sent to DJI for repair. Two week turn around including shipping from KY to CA.
Their diagnosis said combination of antenna in gear legs and faulty GPS module.
Replacement drone sent in return.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.