Parallel Charging 5200 mAh Phantom Smart Battery

Diesel31 said:
...please tell me you didn't pay $89 for the strip...like me. I've seen some recently on e-bay selling for $11, which is all it's really worth. :?

I am waiting for one of the $11 ones. I'll let you know how it works out. :)

LuvMyTJ said:
Diesel31 said:
...please tell me you didn't pay $89 for the strip...like me. I've seen some recently on e-bay selling for $11, which is all it's really worth. :?

I am waiting for one of the $11 ones. I'll let you know how it works out. :)

Good man. It should work fine, there really isn't anything special to the strip. I'm just trying to spread the word so that others don't make the same mistake and pay too much.
...I already jumped on that grenade, no need for anyone else to get hosed. :cool:

So just wanted to confirm... Does using this strip charge the batteries half as quick when charging 2 batteries?

Was looking at that strip just wondering how to connect to my charger. Making a deans to barrel plug I don't know if the barrel can handle 15 amps. Where did you guys get the spades that made your own?

hjscm said:
Was looking at that strip just wondering how to connect to my charger. Making a deans to barrel plug I don't know if the barrel can handle 15 amps. Where did you guys get the spades that made your own?

desolder the plug, hard wire your deans or whatever connector you want.

Cr8tive_leo said:
LuvMyTJ said:
Looks to be exactly the same except it cost more :mrgreen:

Comes with 15a power supply.
It seemed like that but I believe they mean it's 15a charger ready. Look over the specs, no where does it say there is a power brick with it... not that I saw anyways.

Thinking back to some of my basic Electronics and Ohm's Law lessons, I am of the opinion that the Amp rating of the Source..(Charger) does not determine the amount of current that can flow into a battery. As I recall, it is the Load...the battery, that determines what the rate of charge will be. So...IF you have a 100 Amp Charger...and it's hooked to a battery of any size, but let's say a Phantom LiPo...since that is what we are talking about..that 100 Amp Source will NOT "Push" current into the battery. It IS the resistance of the battery that determines the charge rate. And further, that "Charging Current" TO the battery will never go higher than the battery can "Draw"...i.e. provide the Load to the Source.

I totally agree that IF you have a charger that will only output say...6 Amps...and you try to charge 3 batteries, each of which can Draw...(provide a load..)...of 3 Amps....you will only be able to charge those batteries at a 2 Amp rate for each one. Think of all of this like a garden hose....it only can supply a certain amount of water flow...(this is the "Amp" analogy!)...and adding more sprinklers, does NOT increase the GPM of that faucet, it only spreads the water from the source to other sprinklers.

Think about it this way...your automobile charging/battery system is probably rated in the range of 50 amps and the car battery itself has a Cold Cranking rating of several hundred amps, yet no one thinks a thing about plugging any rechargeable device into the Cigarette Lighter even though there is a HUGE amount of Current that is available if needed... IF you plug in some device that has a very LOW resistance, the battery will supply a LOT of current to that device...a small 12V heater would be an example, but if you plug in a device with a HIGH resistance...a portable radio, maybe, then the current would be very, very small. The Load determines the Current.

Now....don't get confused between Current...and Voltage.. The Voltage is the Electrical "Pressure" that provides the "Ooomph..(technical term!) to make those tiny electrons move from place to place. AND..if you hook a 24V DC charger up to these LiPo strips we have been discussing, then you WILL double the charging current...and probably fry the expen$ive LiPo in short order.

Disclaimer...I'm not absolutely positive that the LiPo battery...being a "Smart Battery"...does not have some sort of sensing or monitoring circuit that might make some part of my analysis wrong. I am open to informed opinions on this.

LuvMyTJ said:
...It seemed like that but I believe they mean it's 15a charger ready. Look over the specs, no where does it say there is a power brick with it... not that I saw anyways.

The Product title says it. "DJI Phantom 2 Vision Quadcopter Battery Parrallel Charger Board w/15A Power Adapter for 3 Batteries"

w/15A = with 15A, plus just contact them, they'll verify it.

Cr8tive_leo said:
The Product title says it. "DJI Phantom 2 Vision Quadcopter Battery Parrallel Charger Board w/15A Power Adapter for 3 Batteries"

w/15A = with 15A, plus just contact them, they'll verify it.
Yeah it must since they sell just the strip for $11. Weird how it shows a DJI branded power supply. I wonder if you get a genuine DJI charger?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl