Parallel Charging 5200 mAh Phantom Smart Battery

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been answered, but I searched and couldn't find any solid information. I have 3 of the 5200 mAh Phantom Smart Batteries and I also have an iCharger 206b that is capable of 20A charging. I'm wondering if it's possible to charge these batteries in parallel using this charger. I've seen some say it's possible in Pb mode at 12V not going over 8 amps, but I've heard others say this is bad for the battery.

• Is anyone doing parallel charging with these batteries?
  • What is your setup?
  • What are your charger settings?
  • Is this bad for the battery?

Thanks for the help!

jdvmi00 said:
I'm sorry if this has been answered, but I searched and couldn't find any solid information. I have 3 of the 5200 mAh Phantom Smart Batteries and I also have an iCharger 206b that is capable of 20A charging. I'm wondering if it's possible to charge these batteries in parallel using this charger. I've seen some say it's possible in Pb mode at 12V not going over 8 amps, but I've heard others say this is bad for the battery.

• Is anyone doing parallel charging with these batteries?
  • What is your setup?
  • What are your charger settings?
  • Is this bad for the battery?

Thanks for the help!

I charge 3 of my batteries using the strip with a Hyperion charger. I charge at 7 amps with no problems. Sometimes they'll false peak, but if you turn the battery on, it usually re-sets it and will allow you to get a full charge. Your charger will be able to effectively charge your batteries at higher amps without damaging your batteries. As long as you have a good charger (which you do), you'll have nothing to worry about.

...please tell me you didn't pay $89 for the strip...like me. I've seen some recently on e-bay selling for $11, which is all it's really worth. :?

Thanks! Im planing on making my own board using C-10, plug leads and some solder. Do you charge in Pb mode?

jdvmi00 said:
jondrew said:
Here's a useful video. Not 100% on topic

http://youtu.be/CA1cWjFD1Cw

Yep, that's the video I watched, but just wondering if anyone has done this. Some say it's not good for the smart batteries

The charging smarts are in the batteries. That's why they are so expensive. This just uses your pricy LiPo charger to provide the DC in that the DJI charger puts out. I have a LiPo charger for my heilis, but since I have 2 stock phantom chargers I don't bother with the hack in the video.

jondrew said:
jdvmi00 said:
jondrew said:
Here's a useful video. Not 100% on topic

http://youtu.be/CA1cWjFD1Cw

Yep, that's the video I watched, but just wondering if anyone has done this. Some say it's not good for the smart batteries

The charging smarts are in the batteries. That's why they are so expensive. This just uses your pricy LiPo charger to provide the DC in that the DJI charger puts out. I have a LiPo charger for my heilis, but since I have 2 stock phantom chargers I don't bother with the hack in the video.

That was my understanding too, that it took care of the smarts. The advantage over the stock charger would be that you could charge at 2C/8 AMPS with a lipo charger. Have you tried charging at 2C with your lipo charger?

jdvmi00 said:
Thanks! Im planing on making my own board using C-10, plug leads and some solder. Do you charge in Pb mode?

The instructions that came with the strip said to use Pb mode. I noticed Pb mode was prone to false-peak on the charger I use. I use a regular lipo setting at 7 amps. Either mode will work, use the one that will not false-peak. Another observation is that my batteries get better charges (meaning less likely to false peak) with 50% or less charge left in the pack, ie. charge with 2 or less lights on the pack.

oh yeah, good for you for building your own strip. in my haste, i obviously didn't do enough research to actually know what the strip did prior to purchasing it. I still get a little peeved that I dumped $89 on this thing, but that's more because my ego is a little bruised. :lol:

Great info, thanks Diesel. Sorry about losing the $89. I will post pics of my custom job once I get done putting it together. My batteries and drone arrive today :)

3x5200 mah, so 15 amps should be fine, but I actually haven't charged as high, with the three, I've done only 10 amps. I have sets of 4s, 5s, and 6s (4x4500 mah) that I charge at 15 amps no problem. A good peak charger will slowly reduce the amps as the batteries start getting full.

Here is the adapter I ended up building. It seems that the battery will shut off if I try to give it more than 5 Amps. Looks like I will be charging each battery at 12V 5 Amps. Can't go over 5.

Attachments

• parallelconectorphantom_small.jpg
    parallelconectorphantom_small.jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 719
Cr8tive_leo said:
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phantom-2-vision-quadcopter-battery-parrallel-charger-board-3-batteries.html

Works like a charm. :mrgreen:

Nice,

Think I've bought stuff from these guys

You will need to get a nice charger/power supply to really take advantage of that board. Hooking up the stock charger to 3 bats will just take 3x as long.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20