P4Pro running Drone Deploy Mission flew away over ocean and gone

Reaction score
I went to fly a DD. I have flown scores of Drone Deploy missions. I started everything as usual. Waited for all of the check marks to clear, home point updated, and then took off. First thing I noticed is that it was going towards the back of the building away from what I thought was the starting point. I figured ok maybe it will start there instead. I kept looking at the screen and noticed it kept going out over the ocean in kind a zig zag pattern. It looked like it was maybe 200 feet out over the ocean and 300 feet from me. So not that far away. I immediately hit RTH and it said it was. I could no longer see it and nothing was moving on the screen. EVerything was frozen. I continued to hit RTH, but nothing. The last view was of the water with the camera facing down. WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED? We waited for it to RTH with a low battery. NOTHING,

Reactions: umanbean
I went to fly a DD. I have flown scores of Drone Deploy missions. I started everything as usual. Waited for all of the check marks to clear, home point updated, and then took off. First thing I noticed is that it was going towards the back of the building away from what I thought was the starting point. I figured ok maybe it will start there instead. I kept looking at the screen and noticed it kept going out over the ocean in kind a zig zag pattern. It looked like it was maybe 200 feet out over the ocean and 300 feet from me. So not that far away. I immediately hit RTH and it said it was. I could no longer see it and nothing was moving on the screen. EVerything was frozen. I continued to hit RTH, but nothing. The last view was of the water with the camera facing down. WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED? We waited for it to RTH with a low battery. NOTHING,

If it headed off in the wrong direction then an incorrectly initialized yaw, due to magnetic interference at the takeoff point, is a likely explanation. The mobile device DAT file would confirm that if you want to check.

Reactions: Billmh12
If it headed off in the wrong direction then an incorrectly initialized yaw, due to magnetic interference at the takeoff point, is a likely explanation. The mobile device DAT file would confirm that if you want to check.
How would I pull that info out of the Ipad. I did do a gimbal alignment under the dji go app before closing down and opening up the DD app. This was near a 21 story condo on the beach. So. Fla.

Reactions: Billmh12
I immediately hit RTH and it said it was. I could no longer see it and nothing was moving on the screen. EVerything was frozen. I continued to hit RTH, but nothing. The last view was of the water with the camera facing down. WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED? We waited for it to RTH with a low battery. NOTHING,
We'll need to see flight data to understand what went wrong.
But continuing to hit RTH is never a good option.
You push RTH and tou initiate RTH.
You push RTH again and you cancel RTH.
You push it a few times and you don't know if you are cancelling or initiating.
In that situation, the best thing to do is to turn the controller off for 10 seconds which will definitely trigger loss of signal RTH.

And if you need to cancel any programmed mission such as DroneDeploy, a waypoint mission, a POI or RTH, the simplest way is to flick the mode switch out of P-GPS and back again.
That instantly cancels the mission and gives you full control.

We'll need to see flight data to understand what went wrong.
But continuing to hit RTH is never a good option.
You push RTH and tou initiate RTH.
You push RTH again and you cancel RTH.
You push it a few times and you don't know if you are cancelling or initiating.
In that situation, the best thing to do is to turn the controller off for 10 seconds which will definitely trigger loss of signal RTH.

And if you need to cancel any programmed mission such as DroneDeploy, a waypoint mission, a POI or RTH, the simplest way is to flick the mode switch out of P-GPS and back again.
That instantly cancels the mission and gives you full control.
Good info to know. At times it said that it was connected to the drone, the problem is we had no line of sight on it. IT was more than likely over the ocean, but we cannot be sure. This was the most bizzare thing to ever happen. Flew different then the programmed course. Flew beyond and away (opposite of where we were set up for visual line of sight). RTH did not work, we could not hear it. This was truly as though it had a mind of its own.

Good info to know. At times it said that it was connected to the drone, the problem is we had no line of sight on it. IT was more than likely over the ocean, but we cannot be sure. This was the most bizzare thing to ever happen. Flew different then the programmed course. Flew beyond and away (opposite of where we were set up for visual line of sight). RTH did not work, we could not hear it. This was truly as though it had a mind of its own.

As @Meta4 said - if you want any analysis or advice here then you will need to post the log file.

I have to agree , that magnetic interference at take off point is so critical. Watch how fast the Drone gets affected by magnetic interference as I take off from a Solid concrete , steel pier. You can see the light change instantly to red. Funny thing is the Controller did not show anything was wrong, but than a few minutes latter dropped the Compass Error and I could not get past that barrier.

Had I had flown it over the water , it would have been fine up until ATTI mode took place and than it would have flown off on its own course. RTH most likely would not have worked.

Notice I wait to see how the drone reacts to the take off for quite a few minutes .

Dont be alarmed by the Rain its what we do : )
This was the first time off of this newly built pier. that audio from the Video Camera got blasted by the rain and gave out .

I have to agree , that magnetic interference at take off point is so critical. Watch how fast the Drone gets affected by magnetic interference as I take off from a Solid concrete , steel pier. You can see the light change instantly to red. Funny thing is the Controller did not show anything was wrong, but than a few minutes latter dropped the Compass Error and I could not get past that barrier.

Had I had flown it over the water , it would have been fine up until ATTI mode took place and than it would have flown off on its own course. RTH most likely would not have worked.

Notice I wait to see how the drone reacts to the take off for quite a few minutes .

Dont be alarmed by the Rain its what we do : )
This was the first time off of this newly built pier. that audio from the Video Camera got blasted by the rain and gave out .

WOW, that didn't look like as much fun as when it is sunny out. What were you trying to capture in the storm?

WOW, that didn't look like as much fun as when it is sunny out. What were you trying to capture in the storm?

We have been waiting for a Storm to roll over the lake, so we could fly thru it to the other side , That storm was gone before we got compass error under control.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav