P4Pro 4K video question

Reaction score
I thought I had a problem with video on my P4Pro, green stripes and stuttering when played on my PC. I tried faster sd card (from my DSLR) but no difference.

Actually, I discovered that the video file itself is fine, it's my PC that's not powerful enough. The file looks fine when processed by VirtualDub/Deshaker but I can't play the raw file direct from the P4Pro using VLC, even when the file is on an SSD drive.

My PC is an i5-4690K with GTX960 graphics card - what's needed for playing 4K, more CPU, or graphics card upgrade, or something else?

Apologies if this is in a FAQ, or existing thread - I couldn't find anything.

Your processor and graphic card are fairly capable although the processor is only 4 cores. How much RAM and type? You may want to try this:
Download K-Lite Codec Pack
Codecs are important for video playback. It may or may not fix it, but I use them and although I don't really use my 4k capabilities they DO work.

I thought I had a problem with video on my P4Pro, green stripes and stuttering when played on my PC. I tried faster sd card (from my DSLR) but no difference.

Actually, I discovered that the video file itself is fine, it's my PC that's not powerful enough. The file looks fine when processed by VirtualDub/Deshaker but I can't play the raw file direct from the P4Pro using VLC, even when the file is on an SSD drive.

My PC is an i5-4690K with GTX960 graphics card - what's needed for playing 4K, more CPU, or graphics card upgrade, or something else?

H265 is much tougher than h264 to decode so check codec setting. Regardless, Vlc has some issues with the 4K files so try another player such as windows media player.

I have 32gb ram here and it plays smoothly, my processor is pretty much the same than yours and my video board has only 1gb. The trick is the ram memory.

Had this exact same issue today, caught my eye though because i have a really sweet pc but it was playing back 4k 60fps footage like crap, its vlc player, uninstall whatever 2.#.# version you have and download the 3.0 version off the videolan site. Basically they added 4k support with the new version. Dont try to check for updates through the actual player either cause it wont detect the new version. Should play smoothly afterwards.

Actually, I discovered that the video file itself is fine, it's my PC that's not powerful enough.

In my experience, all of the above could use an upgrade if you're trying to smoothly work with UHD or CHD 4K video without proxies.

I've built 3 systems in the last year. So I have some recent experience with this.

-i7 7700 or 8700
-Very important is the video card I'd recommend minimum the 6gb GTX 1060. But that is a bare minimum in my opinion. I would suggest going with a 8gb gtx 1070 or 1080 realistically. (Crazy prices right now thanks to the crypto craze).
-At least 32 GB of ram. Prefer ddr5.
-Don't short on your motherboard! ASRock Z270 is solid.
And ideally a SSD, extra harddrive space, and lots of cooling to keep that i7 running cool.

Thanks for replies, I tried VLC v3 (I was on 2.2.6) but it crashes when opening files (any MP4, not just 4K). Shame because I've always used VLC and would want to stick with it.

In the end, using Media Player with the K-Lite codec pack performs perfectly, including subtitle with the OSD info (pretty neat).

Thanks all, Happy Easter.

Cool! Didn't know about VLC 3. 4k runs well on it now. Had to use media player or media player classic and some codec pack before.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4