P4P vs. P4P+ advice

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm having a difficult time deciding between the P4P and P4P+. I've been reading a bunch of reviews of the P4P+ screen freezing and causing issues.

Has anyone experienced this, or have you had good luck?

Also, are there freeze issues with the P4P display devices?

Thanks...

I had a P4P+ and it was completely stable, in fact IMO much better in that regard than using a separate device. I also liked how quickly/easily it could be brought into action, just one button and 13 seconds later you're ready to fly. The only undebatable complaint is that the P4P+ cannot run any third-party software, if that matters to you. That ultimately was enough for me to switch back to the standard P4P but otherwise I have no complaints about the P4P+, in fact I kind of miss it in some ways.

Reactions: hacktorious
I had a P4P+ and it was completely stable, in fact IMO much better in that regard than using a separate device. I also liked how quickly/easily it could be brought into action, just one button and 13 seconds later you're ready to fly. The only undebatable complaint is that the P4P+ cannot run any third-party software, if that matters to you. That ultimately was enough for me to switch back to the standard P4P but otherwise I have no complaints about the P4P+, in fact I kind of miss it in some ways.

That's a great point. It may be much better to have the ability to run 3rd party apps.

That's a great point. It may be much better to have the ability to run 3rd party apps.
Yes, the inability to run 3rd party apps is the fly in the ointment with the P4P+. That doesn't matter to some, but if it does it's a deal-killer. Kind of a shame that DJI made that decision and I think it is hurting P4P+ sales (most people who buy $1,800 drones expect them to include advanced functionality.) Some say wait for the CrystalSky monitors and have the best of both worlds, but right now we have no idea whether DJI will also apply the same restrictions to those. Again, too bad because the P4P+ (integrated screen) concept itself is a good one I think.

Last edited:
Yes. My P4P+ controller is sitting on a shelf until DJI can get it to be more stable. Too many app crashes for my liking. Kind of a closed ecosystem right now for all intents and purposes. I'm confident DJI will get it straightened out, but I'm flying with a P4P controller until then. I've had zero app problems since shelving the P4P+ and flying with a P4P RC.

That's strange. I have read of some with stability issues with the P4P+ controller, but mine was rock solid, in fact I had more much more confidence in it than my phone or tablet. Not sure why some are seeing problems and some are not.

That's strange. I have read of some with stability issues with the P4P+ controller, but mine was rock solid, in fact I had more much more confidence in it than my phone or tablet. Not sure why some are seeing problems and some are not.

I guess that just comes with the territory of hardware and software. LOL

How do you like the display compared to other ipod/android devices?

How do you like the display compared to other ipod/android devices?
Bright and sharp, no lag. I didn't have a problem with the 5" display although many prefer larger. I am now using a Nexus 7 tablet with a P4P and while I appreciate the larger size and even though the Nexus has one of the brighter tablet screens available I kind of miss the P4P+ screen... in the end a small screen you can see might be better than a large screen you squint at. I think DJI's chosen display size is to both keep price in check and maintain a svelte form factor. Maybe they will offer a larger option someday but I wouldn't count on it.

Sorry if this isn't helping your decision but after owning both units I'm still on the fence. I will say that if it wasn't for the single issue of 3rd party software I think I'd prefer the P4P+ (and I hope DJI is listening.)

Last edited:
Bright and sharp, no lag. I didn't have a problem with the 5" display although many prefer larger. I am now using a Nexus 7 tablet with a P4P and while I appreciate the larger size and even though the Nexus has one of the brighter tablet screens available I kind of miss the P4P+ screen... in the end a small screen you can see might be better than a large screen you squint at. I think DJI's chosen display size is to both keep price in check and maintain a svelte form factor. Maybe they will offer a larger option someday but I wouldn't count on it.

Sorry if this isn't helping your decision but after owning both units I'm still on the fence. I will say that if it wasn't for the single issue of 3rd party software I think I'd prefer the P4P+ (and I hope DJI is listening.)

I'm actually leaning on the side of the P4P+. Having the display seems like much less hassle and headache.

I'm not sure I care about 3rd party apps right now. However, as a software developer I could possibly change my mind in a hurry. LOL

I guess a better question would be: Is the P4P+ worth the additional $300 if I can go out and buy a Nexus 7 for $89?

I guess a better question would be: Is the P4P+ worth the additional $300 if I can go out and buy a Nexus 7 for $89?
Using your own device is less expensive for sure but I was just out flying in broad daylight and it's clear I'm going to need a sunshade or something if I am going to be using my tablet or phone. With the P4P+ I was able to get away without one. Is that worth $30 or $300? The answer will be different for everyone but FWIW I hate messing with sunshades.

Just got my P4P+, & like it alot more than i was anticipating! The brightness of the screen definately helps make up for the smaller size. The convenience factor, however, is what surprises me, & makes me never want to have to deal with a separate tablet again. No sunshade or cable, no battery life to worry about, no apps to kill or settings to reconfigure -- i'm a believer. Looking forward to using the HDMI port for VR, so soon to be another bonus point in the +'s favor!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel