P4P v2 -No Altitude data showing in Lightroom EXIF

Reaction score
Hi All. Anyone have an answer for this?
Sometimes, not all, when looking at the exif data of my DNGs in Lightroom,, the Altitude and GPS location data are blank.
And other times is gives me the AGL and exact GPS readout,
This morning I shot a bunch down at the lakefront (Chicago) and none of the DNGs are showing either.

I use Photo Mechanic (Mac software) to download the card, then import to Lightroom. That's the usual workflow,
But sometimes I just drag & from from card to computer. I don't think that would change anything though. All PM is doing is importing from card to hard drive.
Anyway its bugging me....

Thanks Meta4

The file starting with 016 shows both Altitude and GPS locations in Lightroom
The file with the generic DJI filename is from yesterday and does not show either,

Also if relevant Im on a 2019 MacBook Pro, Catalina v10.15.7
Lightroom desktop version. 10.11 release

Appreciate the help.

Thanks Meta4

The file starting with 016 shows both Altitude and GPS locations in Lightroom
The file with the generic DJI filename is from yesterday and does not show either,
All the usual metadata is there.
Here's just some of the XMP section from DJI_0596.dng
i-jB7sMMN.jpg

Now my question is...
Where did the other dng file come from?
I've never seen file names like 016_031321 come from my Phantoms.

i-jB7sMMN.jpg

Now my question is...
That's how I rename all my jobs.
Chronological first 3 or 4 digits Underscore Date of shoot.
016_031321.dng is just renamed file
16th frame of shoot on 03/13/2021

This way when I deliver to clients not only do the files line up on their desktop in the order I want, but also gives the date of the shoot for later reference.
And doesn't show all the gaps in the files for all the ones I throw out....

Reactions: Meta4
i-jB7sMMN.jpg

Now my question is...
What software are you using for this? And can I use it on a Mac? Or is there a Mac equivalent?
And again, I still want to know why Lightroom sometimes does show the altitude & GPS data and sometimes not.

What software are you using for this? And can I use it on a Mac? Or is there a Mac equivalent?
It's Picture Information Extractor Picture Information Extractor - EXIF IPTC | Picmeta Systems
It looks like it's for Windows only but there's probably something similar for Mac.
Search for metadata viewer and see what's on offer.
And again, I still want to know why Lightroom sometimes does show the altitude & GPS data and sometimes not.
There's a lot more metadata associated with an image file than most viewers show.
Often they'll just show you the Exif info (or just part of it.
PIE shows Exif, XMP and Other for DJI images and this gives and idea of how much they contain (Exif and Other contain more than shown here and you have to scroll to see it all).

i-XNcLBVH-XL.jpg

Thx. I’ll look for one. I know LR only shows some info. Just puzzle me why sometimes it does, sometimes not. Just trying to figure what is the variable.
Appreciate the info!

It's Picture Information Extractor Picture Information Extractor - EXIF IPTC | Picmeta Systems
It looks like it's for Windows only but there's probably something similar for Mac.
Search for metadata viewer and see what's on offer.

There's a lot more metadata associated with an image file than most viewers show.
Often they'll just show you the Exif info (or just part of it.
PIE shows Exif, XMP and Other for DJI images and this gives and idea of how much they contain (Exif and Other contain more than shown here and you have to scroll to see it all).

i-XNcLBVH-XL.jpg
What is Absolute Altitude vs. Relative Altitude? And is that in Meters?

Doing a bump on this thread. I still would like to know why the altitude data is not showing in Lightroom when it used to. Wondering if it’s either because I am on Mac OS X .15 - Catalina or newer updates on Lightroom?

Is there anyone else here using Mac OS Catalina or later and phantom 4 pro that does show the altitude data in the white room EXIF panel?

It’s just inconvenient that it’s not showing the data in Lightroom. Which is what I used to organize and process my files. I realize the meta-data is in there but I want Lightroom to show it like it did in the past.

Last edited:
Solved.
Sorry I didn’t update this sooner. It turned out that in creating a meta-data preset for my basic info i.e.: name, copyright, address, phone number etc., I inadvertently checked a few boxes that I didn’t add any data to.

If I applied this preset to the whole shoot on import into Lightroom, I was Basically telling Lightroom that I did not want to see that data. Including the altitude. The data was indeed in the file but without realizing it I told Lightroom to ignore it.

Once I realized that, I deleted that preset and did a new one being careful not to check any boxes that I wasn’t inputting data directly to. Ever since then my altitude has been showing up in Lightroom catalog just fine.

Reactions: BigL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31