P4p v2 distance problem

Reaction score
The phantom has always been able to fly pretty far. However I have noticed with the P4P version 2 that the more devices connected to it the more range suffers. I ran several tests to make sure everything things was as it seemed. When it is just the remote with a phone connected range was as to be expected however if I run only the dji googles I am in beginner mode that can only be resolved by first taking off with a phone than switching to googles while in flight, not preferred. Any way as I try to share the drone experience with others via the goggles I will lose vision on both remote and googles at 2000 feet. I have the goggles on the lowest setting as far as quality goes and have gotten a max distance of 2200 feet. Other settings such as smooth only allowed signal of 1000 feet. So I was finally able to test my Mavic pro while flying attached to the goggles it was able to go 3000 feet before latency began to increase and frames began to drop. However the phantom was only able to go 2000 feet and it lost signal all together but I could not see anything from their goggles only from the phone connected to the controller. I am just wondering if there are any other p4p version 2 owners seening similar results or know of a fix for it. Trying to avoid contacting support at all costs.
Thank you for your time

I have the P4P+, and the goggles. The only Phantom flights I have made with my goggles used the HDMI connection (available with the Plus). That, of course, does not affect Phantom range.

I flew the P4P v2 today along a coastline with the BT 300 glasses and started getting disconnection issues at 2 Kilometers . I lost vision and the P4P controller dropped out. But it retained vision and got to about 3 Kilometers, then it lost all connection. I did the same test with a Samsung 8+ and got similar results. I flew over a lake the other day with similar results. Seems as though my P4P v2 cant go beyond 3K. 9,800 feet or 1.8 miles. That is about half of what other people claim to get with the P4P original. In every case there was nothing between the craft and the controller. So I don't know what is going on? Any ideas anyone?

I have thought of a windsurfer but going away to Thailand in 3 weeks and delivery is about that time I leave so I am looking for a second hand one in Perth.
Just out of interest really. I was curious the MA does about the same but with much less battery left.

It seems that at around 2 or 3 Kl or 3 miles is standard for P4P without any modifications. Then connection issues start. Just good to know if your planning some longer trip.

i did not buy the windsurfer but one close to it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1BY32I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
they seem to help with the overall distance when only the the phone is connected. However they do not increase any performance of the googles so the original issue still exists. I also bought the hdmi module from DJI that states it is compatible the phantom 4 pro series however it is not compatible with the version 2. So don't try buying that because the version 2 has a different board that does not appear to have a replacement hdmi module available despite the site saying it had one one the normal and plus model when originally purchased. I will keep looking to see what options are out there to help fly where i want to and see want i am filming accurately before just seeing it on the computer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna