P4P RTK Flight Planning

Reaction score
Hi, First Post.

I have a P4P RTK which i use mainly for surveying photogrammetry 3dmodels.
Upon creating a flight plan on the gs rtk app (large area around 3km x 2km) i thought it would be a good idea to set the maximum distance to 500m as this is the maximum stated in the pfco in the UK, but it wont let me start the mission due to the maximum distance conflicting with the size of the plan, is there a way around this? Apart from creating loads of smaller plans.

Secondly i created a boundary of the project and imported it via a KML file on the smart controller but there seems to be no way to use this as a boundary for a photogrammetry flight?

Try breaking the area up into several smaller flights and move the home point. I use Google Earth to plan my missions like this, since it has the ability to see the area, plan the overlaps, and give me the area for each flight. Then i just plug that into whatever mapper I'm using to fly with (different types of drones, P4P, Firefly6, etc) and run multiple mission sets.

The only (legal way) would be to create more than one mission

Thanks for the replies, when i import a kml line from google maps but it only seems to want to fly the line. is it possible to create an area and import that instead?

Thanks for the replies, when i import a kml line from google maps but it only seems to want to fly the line. is it possible to create an area and import that instead?
Yes mate sure is. In google earth make sure you create a "path" and not just a line.

When you select the ruler, click the tab that says "path" then make your clicks around the site and you'll create a closed polygon.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Hi, First Post.

I have a P4P RTK which i use mainly for surveying photogrammetry 3dmodels.
Upon creating a flight plan on the gs rtk app (large area around 3km x 2km) i thought it would be a good idea to set the maximum distance to 500m as this is the maximum stated in the pfco in the UK, but it wont let me start the mission due to the maximum distance conflicting with the size of the plan, is there a way around this? Apart from creating loads of smaller plans.

Secondly i created a boundary of the project and imported it via a KML file on the smart controller but there seems to be no way to use this as a boundary for a photogrammetry flight?
I know this is a couple of months old and I am not going to read through all of the posts, but everyone needs to consider getting the SDK controller so your can download better flight apps.

This is sort of related. I am considering the P4RTK as an addition to the fleet of P4P's. Can I do offline planning for the RTK P4 and upload these the the aircraft later as needed? Previously used 120 off line flight plans in DD for my P4P's and flew as needed. The idea of drawing flight plans in the field as we go, does not appeal as there is too much room for error. Any help appreciated.

Sort of. GS Pro cannot do offline flight planning, but to use it without internet access, cache the map data first. Do not close or refresh the GS Pro page during use. When no internet is available, use the aircraft to create waypoints or define a flight area.

You also have the option of DJI Terra which would be suggested, but it does cost quite a bit for what it does in comparison to DroneDeploy. Just curious how did you get a hundred and twenty offline flight plans with drone deploy? You can only cache 10 at a time so are you talkin about total over time?

IMHO, but depending on your use case unless you have the cash to throw at it don't waste your money on the P4RTK. If you care about producing certifiable highly accurate results that can be backed up there are much more cost effective solutions out there that are much more versatile from a GNSS perspective and would allow you to retrofit a P4P from your current fleet. With the P4RTK you are just guessing whether or not your GNSS solution was solid the entire flight and you have no way to fix it. You can run it in PPK mode, but then you are REALLY much better off with one of the other solutions. There are more reasons not to get the P4RTK, but I will leave it at that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1