P4P+ red light on remote and beeping

Reaction score
Had a strange experience with my P4P+ today.

I started with no issue flying from 100% battery down to ~30% about a half mile. Landed. Turned off the bird (leaving remote on) and replaced battery to one which was fully charged (read 98%).

Took off and when I got to 97' got a warning that I had reached max altitude (which was set as 375' in remote) and then max distance.

Height 97ft Distance 147ft
Maximum Flight Altitude Reached. Adjust Altitude in MC settings if required.

Height 97ft Distance: 158ft
Maximum Flight Distance Reached. Adjust distance in MC settings if required.
I was flying where there was no cell signal, and I had not powered off remote or logged out of my dji account since I had just made the previous flight at 200ft altitude 5 minutes prior.

I turned off the remote and turned off the bird. I turned on the bird and then turned on the remote and then something even stranger happened - red light started flashing on the bottom of the remote and on the left of the screen and it started beeping but gave no other text error message. I power cycled it again and got the same thing.

I decided to pack up for the day but on the way back after around 15 minutes and a quarter mile away I thought I'd try again and this time all was normal - green light, no beeping, no distance or height restrictions.

I'm not within 5 miles of an airport or other restricted area. Remote was fully charged and still showed all 4 battery lights white.

Any ideas?

What does the red flashing light on the remote and screen mean in this context?

Last edited:
Had a strange experience with my P4P+ today.

What does the red flashing light on the remote and screen mean in this context?

Let’s start with the blinking red led on the transmitter. The manual says this is a remote controller error. Why, perhaps you were on one of the stick at startup. Otherwise I would only be guessing. Maybe you would benefit from calibration of the transmitter.

The altitude problem on the second flight is hard to speculate on. Personally I would address the transmitter problem first, then monitor your flights for any return of the altitude concern. If it reoccurs, I would ask for a qualified member of the forum to review your flight log. This can be very helpful.

I hope you find some help from my limited reply.

713243414a2e657710fe840ce9d92fa7.jpg

Thanks very much for the ideas. I did a quick test where I just started up the remote while holding the left stick slightly down.
This test made the red light on the bottom of the remote (the status light next to the white battery indicator lights) blink and beep as it did in the field.
However this test didn't make the red light on the integrated screen of the P4P+ blink as it was in the field earlier today. (the red light that is outside the image area on the left and near the bottom of the integrated screen.) When the error happened in the field both red lights were blinking (I hadn't noticed there was a red light on the screen there before.)

I did a quick test where I just started up the remote while holding the left stick slightly down.
This test made the red light on the bottom of the remote (the status light next to the white battery indicator lights) blink and beep as it did in the field.
It sounds like the battery is low. Charge your remote controller.

Thanks but battery was nearly fully charged (All 4 white charging lights lit to show full charge).

Have you updated the drone and not the controller?

Make sure they are both on the same/compatible firmware and if the problem persists re-link the controller using the app

Since it happened after I changed batteries (I have 3) I did some testing by powering on and off and connecting with remote to see if there were any firmware/update issues reported or if anything changed with one battery vs. another in terms of updates. (I had made sure to update each of the 3 batteries when the last major p4p firmware was released a couple months ago, but no harm in checking again.)

I did get a "data update" and chose to do it. I'm not sure what exactly it updated.
It also then prompted after that for a geo update so I did that as well.
And I got two popups on my P4P+ about updating a spark (I don't have a spark) before such and such date so I just clicked the "I'm aware of this" button for those two.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z