P4P obstacle avoidance

No. The Phantom manual covers other scenarios where it does not work well either.

Reactions: Waternut13134
That's a surprise msinger, you would think it was Infared sonar or whatever night vision is using. I bet it starts using that protocol soon.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I understand that, but if it was Infared or sonar etc. it would eliminate false positives of visual effects. I mean bats use it I. The dark.
The front and back sensors are visual and have a useful range of 30 metres.
For the infrared side sensors it's 7 metres.
Every technology has it's limits but DJI is right at the cutting edge and stretching the limits as much as they can.
ps. bats use ultrasonic sonar

The front and back sensors are visual and have a useful range of 30 metres.
For the infrared side sensors it's 7 metres.
Every technology has it's limits but DJI is right at the cutting edge and stretching the limits as much as they can.
ps. bats use ultrasonic sonar

Interesting, a bats sonar can detect a forward object up to 60+ meters, time for DJI to rethink its oa system.

I was doing some low altitude (3 - 5 foot AGL) flying in my driveway one evening last week and verified that the visual sensors do not function in really low light wheres the side infrared sensors were working just fine.

Interesting, a bats sonar can detect a forward object up to 60+ meters, time for DJI to rethink its oa system.

They have the best OA system on the market. It takes time to get technology to the point that it works like a live animal's. And at a reasonable cost.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I was out flying today and I noticed that the side (infrared) sensor bars were not appearing at the sides of the display as they normally do in Tripod mode. It was a very bright day and I note that the DJI manual says that the infrared system does not work in dark or excessively bright environments... I wonder if they were disabled because of excessive ambient brightness?

If you are lucky enough to find these said bats, I'd catch them, and super glue their asses to the sides of your Phantom, Presto...instant night time OA sensors. You'll be the envy of your friends!........and also get fined considerably, but hey......bats!

I was out flying today and I noticed that the side (infrared) sensor bars were not appearing at the sides of the display as they normally do in Tripod mode. It was a very bright day and I note that the DJI manual says that the infrared system does not work in dark or excessively bright environments... I wonder if they were disabled because of excessive ambient brightness?
I'm pretty sure they only work in beginner mode and tripod and I also got my infrared sensors to work pretty good in the dark they are the only sensors that will work okay in the dark

Please understand that you cannt rely on the OA system at any time. I'm lucky to have gotten it back but I've got my P4P stuck in a tree already while it was in tripod mode

Please understand that you cannt rely on the OA system at any time. I'm lucky to have gotten it back but I've got my P4P stuck in a tree already while it was in tripod mode
I agree with that analogy. From what I've read and seen on videos, depending on these features as your automatic co piolet is a false sense of security. Maintaining manual control at all times is the safest way to fly. You never know when something isn't going to work. Even then, there's no guarantee to a perfect flight.

Last edited:
Obstacle avoidance is not magic and doesn't work everywhere in all situations.
Here's a list of known limitations affecting it.
i-DGwNx9K-L.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor