P4P OA question

Reaction score
Hi, since the infant red sensors on the side only work in tripod mode and beginner mode, will this mean, if I'am going to hit a wall at one of the sides, it will do nothing in gps mode ? If so, those sensors are simply garbage, (In my opinion)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

GPS mode? Im not sure what mode you mean but yes the side sensors are only in beginner and tripod. But that hardly makes them useless. I use tripod any time I'm flying near, around, or through objects. It works quite well.

GPS mode? Im not sure what mode you mean but yes the side sensors are only in beginner and tripod. But that hardly makes them useless. I use tripod any time I'm flying near, around, or through objects. It works quite well.

With GPS mode, i mean P mode, like normal flight with oa enabled, will it stop in this mode? (The side sensors)

With GPS mode, i mean P mode, like normal flight with oa enabled, will it stop in this mode? (The side sensors)

Tripod mode and p mode are not mutually exclusive. So if you are in p mode with tripod on, you have side sensors. If you are in p mode with tripod off, you don't.

so, what will happen when we are cyrcling on some scenario like POI mode and there is a wall or tower along the orbit track of the P4p? we know that the front of the P4p are facing to the center of the cyrcle.

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app

so, what will happen when we are cyrcling on some scenario like POI mode and there is a wall or tower along the orbit track of the P4p? we know that the front of the P4p are facing to the center of the cyrcle.

You must have tripod or beginner mode enabled (also in P mode) to protect against side collision.

Last edited:
You must have tripod or beginner mode enabled (also in P mode) to protect against collision.
So... I am wondering what is the reason of dji make it working this way?
Why can't dji just allow those features on normal p-gps mode? I don't see any hardware restriction about this.... Please explain.

Sent from my X89 Kindow(D5N3) using PhantomPilots mobile app

So... I am wondering what is the reason of dji make it working this way?
Why can't dji just allow those features on normal p-gps mode? I don't see any hardware restriction about this.... Please explain.

Sent from my X89 Kindow(D5N3) using PhantomPilots mobile app
What I read was the amount of computing required is enormous to detect with cameras, like the front and rear. The IR method is apparently less strenuous to do at slow speeds in Tripod or Beginner mode. I figure that DJI decided it's better than nothing. Some video shoots will benefit from sidways OA in Tripod mode, but others will not if the speed needs to be faster. I wish I knew just how fast the P4P will fly sideways with OA enabled, in the real world. I don't believe DJI's marketing numbers anymore. Is it really 5mph? Or is it 3mph? Has anyone tested this yet?

Reactions: sinxa

My advice would be to keep an eye out for the wall!

last evening I had my p4p out with front and rear OA turned on in P mode. I had it flying low and stood in front of it and slowly moved it forward hoping it OA would kick in and stop it from hitting me. Well it didn't look like it was going to and I chickened out when it was like 2 feet away from my chest.

Unfortunately I cant fly my drone before 5pm and because it is winter the sun is already well on its way down at that point. I would love to test it again in broad daylight but I didn't think it was too dark when I tried it yesterday and it didn't work.

What I read was the amount of computing required is enormous to detect with cameras, like the front and rear. The IR method is apparently less strenuous to do at slow speeds in Tripod or Beginner mode. I figure that DJI decided it's better than nothing. Some video shoots will benefit from sidways OA in Tripod mode, but others will not if the speed needs to be faster. I wish I knew just how fast the P4P will fly sideways with OA enabled, in the real world. I don't believe DJI's marketing numbers anymore. Is it really 5mph? Or is it 3mph? Has anyone tested this yet?
5.5mph is what I get when I'm in tripod mode with side OA enabled. That's in any direction, sideways, forward, backward.

last evening I had my p4p out with front and rear OA turned on in P mode. I had it flying low and stood in front of it and slowly moved it forward hoping it OA would kick in and stop it from hitting me. Well it didn't look like it was going to and I chickened out when it was like 2 feet away from my chest.

Unfortunately I cant fly my drone before 5pm and because it is winter the sun is already well on its way down at that point. I would love to test it again in broad daylight but I didn't think it was too dark when I tried it yesterday and it didn't work.
You have to enable the settings that allow it to move backwards under OA. There are a lot of OA settings that are turned off by default, in my opinion I'd turn them all on. If I walk at my P4P from the front or back, it moves away from me when I get about 5 feet away.

You have to enable the settings that allow it to move backwards under OA. There are a lot of OA settings that are turned off by default, in my opinion I'd turn them all on. If I walk at my P4P from the front or back, it moves away from me when I get about 5 feet away.

OK I will try that next time. I figured in my test where I stood still and slowly flew the drone at me it would come to a stop once it got close to me. I will do the test again with the setting enabling it to move backwards turned ON

OK I will try that next time. I figured in my test where I stood still and slowly flew the drone at me it would come to a stop once it got close to me. I will do the test again with the setting enabling it to move backwards turned ON
You should know if it's working cuz your controller will beep and go crazy and show the drone sees an object (you) in front of it. Did it not do that? If not, it might have been too dark, or you dont have all the OA stuff turned on.

You should know if it's working cuz your controller will beep and go crazy and show the drone sees an object (you) in front of it. Did it not do that? If not, it might have been too dark, or you dont have all the OA stuff turned on.

I am like 80% sure I had all options turned on. I am 100% sure I had forward and backward OA turned on. Nothing beeped and the drone was 2feet away at its closest before I moved.

I suspect it was too dark but if it was indeed too dark then these sensors need a really good amount of light to work. It really wasn't that dark at all, but the sun was on the horizon.

I am like 80% sure I had all options turned on. I am 100% sure I had forward and backward OA turned on. Nothing beeped and the drone was 2feet away at its closest before I moved.

I suspect it was too dark but if it was indeed too dark then these sensors need a really good amount of light to work. It really wasn't that dark at all, but the sun was on the horizon.
Yea if nothing beeped then the drone didn't see you. You'll know cuz its loud and annoying and BEEP BEEP BEEP haha. Dusk is too dark for OA to work IMO.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak