p4p+ night flight

I also fly a P4P+ and do quite a bit of night flying.
In fact, some flights I have taken have been an hour after sunset.

Here are some tips for you that I have found useful over the years:

1. Normally, I shoot in AUTO mode. Occasionally, I will manually adjust my settings, but 8 times out of 10, I shoot in AUTO mode.

2. At night, I always shoot in RAW(not JPEG).....this allows me to pull as much detail into the image file as possible. This is what you need for night time photography and in post production, the RAW format gives you lots of options.

3. For any still images that I am taking at night, I always use TRIPOD mode when I'm in position and set to go......this mode minimizes the Phantom's movements and helps you get that night time shot you want.

4. Make sure you set your Phantom's software to turn off the front nav lights whenever your camera shutter button is used. This makes sure the red lights(and the glow from them) don't show up in your images.

Hope these all help. Safe flying. :)
Many thanks but now I find out I cannot fly my drone at night. Against Federal Law. Getting shot by police or lengthy incarceration would disrupt the family cash flow and put a strain on their expensive lifestyle.

In Canada, if you have a Transport Canada Advanced Drone Pilots Certificate and your drone has navigation lights, you are allowed to fly at night.
Regardless of what time it is.
I hold the proper certification and the drone I fly is equipped with navigation lights.
The FAA may have different rules in place for night time flying.

In Canada, if you have a Transport Canada Advanced Drone Pilots Certificate and your drone has navigation lights, you are allowed to fly at night.
Regardless of what time it is.
I hold the proper certification and the drone I fly is equipped with navigation lights.
The FAA may have different rules in place for night time flying.
In Canada you can actually fly at night even with the Basic Operations certificate so long as the aircraft has the "proper lighting (CAR 901.39)"

I also fly a P4P+ and do quite a bit of night flying.
In fact, some flights I have taken have been an hour after sunset.

Here are some tips for you that I have found useful over the years:

1. Normally, I shoot in AUTO mode. Occasionally, I will manually adjust my settings, but 8 times out of 10, I shoot in AUTO mode.

2. At night, I always shoot in RAW(not JPEG).....this allows me to pull as much detail into the image file as possible. This is what you need for night time photography and in post production, the RAW format gives you lots of options.

3. For any still images that I am taking at night, I always use TRIPOD mode when I'm in position and set to go......this mode minimizes the Phantom's movements and helps you get that night time shot you want.

4. Make sure you set your Phantom's software to turn off the front nav lights whenever your camera shutter button is used. This makes sure the red lights(and the glow from them) don't show up in your images.

Hope these all help. Safe flying. :)
Thanks for these tips, Hendricks! I have yet to fly the P4P+ at night but hope to soon and will try out your suggestions.

Many thanks but now I find out I cannot fly my drone at night. Against Federal Law. Getting shot by police or lengthy incarceration would disrupt the family cash flow and put a strain on their expensive lifestyle.
The FAA rules have not changed according to their website. It still all depends on what you do with the pics or video you take. If you are compensated in any way for your images, you are flying under part 107 and need that waiver to fly at night after civil twilight. If you are not being compensated for your images, you are considered a recreational flyer and do not need the waiver at night. You do still need to safely fly within the other rules such as height, airspace restrictions, and proper registration as well as marking lights and maintaining VLOS.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl