P4P melted while taking lava shots!

Wow! I'm surprised more than just then camera was damaged.

the black plastic got hot first, but the white shell would have melted with time!

At least he was able to get the pictures he was looking for... He said from the source that he see the drone as a replaceable camera... The pictures itself will pay for another drone.

Reactions: Joe Cinquina
Must have gotten pretty close to cause melting. I thought the only legal way to do this is to launch and land from a boat.

Brian

This is a concern for fire fighting applications. These type of sUAS can be used by fire departments to improve fire emergency response to save lives and reduce damage to property. Some are being fitted with thermal cameras as well. But heat will limit how close they can get. May require a ruggedized drone with zoom lens.

Actually, the location where he took the pictures is a National Park. Unless he got permission, he shouldn't have been flying the aircraft there.

“Flying drones at the Kilauea Volcano is illegal, but the drone photos that Marom took were shot just outside the boundaries of the national park. The photographers were supervised with a certified local guide, and these drone shots were taken on private land where they were allowed access.”

I would not want to sacrifice my camera but he did get some great shots

Actually, the location where he took the pictures is a National Park. Unless he got permission, he shouldn't have been flying the aircraft there.
You're assuming he "took off" in the National Park. If he took off outside of the national park, he's legally OK, no permission required. An example of this would be launching and retrieving the craft from a boat nearby offshore and flying over the lava onshore, within the national park.

Last edited:
You're assuming he "took off" in the National Park. If he took off outside of the national park, he's legally OK, no permission required. An example of this would be launching and retrieving the craft from a boat nearby offshore and flying over the lava onshore, within the national park.

Ok, I see that in his article he took the photos outside the boundries of the park.

Sounds like the flyer needed a thin glass shield (possibly a glass filter would work) to protect the plastic of the camera. Likely only the plastic lens of the camera was damaged and it should be a cheap fix.

Much cheaper disaster than having saltwater leak into an underwater housing - that experience cost me $3,000 in 1995 dollars)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers